Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
New ebook store for Australia and New Zealand

The Read Without Paper website will launch on Tuesday 1st December with over 110,000 eBook and Audiobook titles available for you to purchase.

Great titles from great authors:

Stephenie Meyer
Charlaine Harris
Dan Brown
James Patterson
Dean Koontz
Clive Cussler
Danielle Steel
Nora Roberts

...and we have Australian and New Zealand authors, too, including:

Colleen McCullough
Kerry Greenwood
Michael Faber
Nick Cave
Tom Collins
James Clavell
Thomas Keneally
Kathy Lette

eBooks are available in Adobe EPUB and Adobe PDF formats.

Audiobooks are available in OverDrive MP3 and OverDrive WMA formats.

All prices are quoted in Australian dollars and most titles are available to Australian and New Zealand based customers.

Special Offer:

To thank you for your interest and to celebrate the launch of Read Without Paper we are taking 20% off the price of all titles until 31st December 2009.

There will be regular special offers and discounts available to Read Without Paper customers so make sure you don’t miss out.

We look forward to providing you with Great eBooks from Australia & Around the World at great prices.

Read Without Paper

www.readwithoutpaper.com

I bought my first ebook from our test site today - it's working beautifully! Australian author Steve Toltz's "A Fraction of the Whole".

Usual disclaimer: I work for DA Direct/Central Book Services, the owners of the Read Without Paper ebook store.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECO Reader RWP Logo.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	40183  

Last edited by cbell; 12-10-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Changed "all titles are available" to "most titles are available"
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
That's verygood news, Christine. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Roughly what proportion will be ebooks and what proportion will be audiobooks?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Looking forward to looking at the website when it opens.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Fantastic news! Any ideas as to the prices?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
So this is a definite definite date, not one of those flexible type possibilities?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:43 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
This is great!

Now I just need to find out how to transfer the upub to prc or palm ereader until I get my next reader.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
duckbill
Enthusiast
duckbill began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Good news

I have just moved down under to NZ and was wondering where to buy. Are there any other recommended stores in NZ?
duckbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
That's verygood news, Christine. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Roughly what proportion will be ebooks and what proportion will be audiobooks?

Regards, Alex
Thanks for your encouragement

This is a current snapshot of the titles in our store:

Adobe ePub 17,444
Adobe PDF 92,205
Overdrive MP3 7,193
Overdrive WMA 12,550

I talk about ePub with publishers whenever I can, but PDF is the most common format and it's what publishers are supplying.

My ECO Reader reflows the PDF I purchased today nicely.

Overdrive WMA format is not compatible with ECO Readers. The MP3 I purchased today works very well on our ECO Reader, but I'm not sure if all the MP3 files will be compatible.

Blue Tyson, I've bought 4 titles so far - it's all working. Now we just have to wait for the official launch...

m-reader, the prices are set by the publishers. We have a mix of popular and classic fiction and non-fiction.

Some price examples through December: Twilight, Angels and Demons and Life of Pi in ePub are $10.16 each. Eragon and Memoirs of a Geisha in ePub are $8.89 each. A Fraction of the Whole cost me $13.28. Windows 7 All-in-One For Dummies® (8 references in 1) in ePub or PDF is $31.70.

Last edited by cbell; 11-27-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Notes to BT and m-reader
Old 11-27-2009, 05:01 AM   #9
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
This is great news and prices are comparable to US ebooks stores
Two ebooks I am interested in are Matthew Reilly - Five Greatest Warriors and Stieg Larssen - Girl who kicked the Hornets nest
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #10
cbell
Frenetic

No Reilly or Larssen yet, sorry.

I bought Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders at www.macmillandigital.com.au

I've downloaded and read some free short stories from his website, too.

http://matthewreilly.com/

This isn't good - the more I search our store, the more ebooks I find that I want to own!
Old 11-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
It's been a while coming, I look forward to checking it out on release day! Dare I hope there's no DRM on the books?

Last edited by pwarren; 11-27-2009 at 05:42 AM.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #12
cbell
Frenetic

Our ebooks will all have Adobe DE DRM.

ECO Reader owners will have to use the (default) Adobe DE program on their ECO Readers to read their purchased ePub and PDF ebooks, as usual. So, you'll be reflowing the text in PDFs and increasing/decreasing the font size, but not zooming pages.

ECO Reader owners can still open and read non-protected PDFs with their alternate PDF zoom program. It's easy to switch back and forth, via the menu option.

Our ebooks won't be compatible with iLiads.

Last edited by cbell; 11-27-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #13
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
Sorry but that automatically counts me out. Pity.
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #14
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
Quote:

Well, that's a shame, I was looking forward to being able to actually purchase books...

As I'm sure you're aware, there exists technology that allows for Digital Editions DRMed books to be read on an iLiad with FBReader, though I guess it might not be politic for you, as a retailer, to mention that.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
This is not a good news
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, ebooks, eco reader, new zealand, store