Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #1
iantresman
iantresman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Meta tag information

My HTML files have a number of meta tag specifying various information, from the author to the publication, to the date.

Is this information only of use in Add books, in the option "Control the adding of books", where I see for example, the ability to specify the "publisher".

Is there anywhere it is useful. For example, I have a meta tag defining the publication date, but I can't see whether this useful anywhere else?
iantresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Metadata in files is read during import -- where else would you expect it to be useful?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
iantresman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Metadata in files is read during import -- where else would you expect it to be useful?
Of course, that makes sense, but what meta data is actually used in a useful way. For example, some of my files have Dublin Core metadata, and then there are tags for character sets, languages, etc. Are these used?

In other words, what meta data does Calibre make use of?
Old 12-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no standard for metadata in HTML, calibre employs various heuristics to try to detect metadata, for example, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...44&postcount=9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:07 AM   #5
iantresman

That's exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks.