Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Mooser
Mooser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g Wifi
Exclamation Kindle will not wake after hard reset.

Hi

I have a Kindle 3g Wifi device which one day decided to not wake up. I have tried sliding the power switch and holding for 15 seconds and it seems to reset itself (by following the green lights) but the screen saver stays the same. I've recharged it with both USB cable and from the adapter but still nothing. My computer still recognizes it when I plug it into the computer and the hard drive seems to work fine.

I have spoken with Amazon CS and tried everything they suggested but it seems it does not want to awake from its deep sleep,so they are sending me a new one.

Because I'm not in America for some reason they didn't want the old one shipped back, they told me to dispose of it correctly. I don't want to just throw out this kindle just yet because it seems so wasteful and I feel there should be a solution. . . . and then my kids can have a kindle to read.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know before I add it to the land fill.

Thanks
Mooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hold the power switch over for about 30 seconds (or some other similar seemingly ridiculous amount of time) before releasing it. 15 seconds or so will just get you a reboot... but if you hold it for a r e a l l y long time before you release it, you should get prompted if you want to do a factory reset--if it's not already totally borked, that is.

If you can still access the flash drive via USB, I certainly wouldn't give up on it yet. But on the outside chance that you do get it working, the serial number will probably be on Amazon's black list--since they instructed you to dispose of it. So you probably won't be able to register it regardless. Just something to think about.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-30-2011 at 09:19 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
You say it's just the same image no matter what? Sounds like the screen may be broken or the cable came loose.

I would be happy to take it off your hands if you can't get it working, though.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Mooser
Mooser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g Wifi
Thanks for the advice, I've tried holding it across for what seemed like 3 days but still nothing.

From the green flashing lights it seems to reset but the screen does not change.

So I've been stuck looking at the same image for about a month. It's depressing.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to keep it for spare parts (sorry Mario1up)
Mooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
As a last resort, there's a hardware reset button inside the kindle, but you need to open it up first.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
As a last resort, there's a hardware reset button inside the kindle, but you need to open it up first.
Interesting. You learn something new every day. I wonder why Amazon didn't just put a small pin hole in the case for tripping that reset (one small enough so that you use a unbent paperclip or similar probe). I'd think it would be a very useful thing to have. I know a lot of electronics have similar resets installed. A DVD/CD drive for example has just such a pin hole for if something jams up and you need it to eject the disk you have in it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
I think you should open it and check that the screen cable is connected fully, and then try the hardware reset if that does nothing. If the screen still does not respond, I would assume it's broken.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
I think you should open it and check that the screen cable is connected fully, and then try the hardware reset if that does nothing. If the screen still does not respond, I would assume it's broken.
Not yet, last resort should be getting a serial connection via ttl. If you see the uboot prompt, it's still working. Problem is that inexperienced users won't know if it's their serial cable not working or the kindle is broken.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
wishnew
wishnew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have the same problem. I have opened it. Now the reset button is removed. On the MB reset is written but nothing soldered there. So I simply removed the battery and then reconnected. My display cable (I presume it is!) had came off (I don't know whether it happened while opening) and I had fixed it. But the display is not yet coming. What might be the cause? May I try the TTL cable?
wishnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
cappsie
cappsie began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Hi,

Where can I find the reset button? I have a borked Kindle 4 and cannot do *anything* with it - it's stuck on the diag menu. I cannot even move the highlight up or down the menu, that's how borked it is. Hopefully you can help

Let me know.

Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi,

Where can I find the reset button? I have a borked Kindle 4 and cannot do *anything* with it - it's stuck on the diag menu. I cannot even move the highlight up or down the menu, that's how borked it is. Hopefully you can help

Let me know.

Adam.
On the K3 model.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
cappsie
cappsie began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Yup the K3 please - if you know where the reset button is - if there is in fact one...

Thanks,
Adam.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Yup the K3 please - if you know where the reset button is - if there is in fact one...

Thanks,
Adam.
You have a K4 device according to your post.

Just provide the information I requested (in a single thread - no more cross-posting please).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3g, will not wake