Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
giorgioCh
giorgioCh began at the beginning.

Device: none
An E-reader with a built-in Japanese Dictionary

Hi there, I've been looking forward to buy an e-reader with an Japanese to Japanese Dictionary built-in which it seems to be available for sale only in Japan. I tried to purchase one of them and have it shipped to my country Peru, but then I realized that the compatibility issue of my new made-in Japan device will cause me a lot of problems as: being unable to buy e-books without a Japanese credit card or registering the e-reader to my PC because of the geographical location. I even contacted Sony(I've already purchase a Sony PRS T2 through ebay, it turned out it displays only roman alphabet), Kobo, and Amazon Kindle(I thought the Japanese Kindle PW recently developed would be perfect for me) at their Japanese homepage for any suggestion but I´was told by all of them that they're REALLY REALLY sorry but "we cannot help you".

Sony.jp:
"We Do not ship to your country". (Ok I can use a shipping service.)
"You need a Japanese account + Japanese credit card"
"Our e-book store is made only to use within Japan"
"Don't worry, now we know there are people like you(out there) and this feedback will help us improve our service"

Amazon.jp:
-"We Do not ship our kindle PW to your country"
-"Our page does not have any relation with the main Amazon website"(how could that be?)
-"We're not allowed to provide customers outside Japan any service"

Amazon.com
-"We Do not ship the kindle PW to your country"
-"Why don't you try the simple kindle touch which is available to your country, unfortunately the Kindle PW is the only one equipped to display Japanese scripts"
-"We will let you know when it is available. No we can't tell you when"

Kobo(Rakuten.jp):
-"We do not ship to your country"
-"You need a Japanese account + Japanese credit card in order to use the reader"
"Even if you manage to bring it to your country I'm afraid we cannot assure you of a regular compatibility"

any suggestion will be appreciated.
giorgioCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Have you checked onyx i62HD (it comes in two versions - with or without front light)

You can install any stardict dictionary in it :-

I checked the link given in onyx forum and these dictionaries can be installed:

http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/ja/
http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Not sure what your options are for getting it shipped to Peru, but a "regular" Kobo should give you Japanese display options no matter where it's from (it has Japanese in all the international firmware). You could try options in the U.S. to get it shipped to you.
Having said that, you may still be limited in terms of the Japanese books you can buy without a Japanese account/credit card.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgioCh View Post
Kobo(Rakuten.jp):
-"We do not ship to your country"
-"You need a Japanese account + Japanese credit card in order to use the reader"
"Even if you manage to bring it to your country I'm afraid we cannot assure you of a regular compatibility"
That is not correct, or at least incomplete.

All the current Kobo devices support Japanese no matter where you buy it. You can change the interface to use Japanese. They support a Japanese dictionary and English to Japanese translation dictionary. There have been complaints about the Japanese dictionary, but some of them were fixed in the latest firmware and someone has built an alternative dictionary to install.

I think the second point is more related to buying books from the Kobo/Rakuten shop. This has been discussed in the Kobo forums, but I don't remember the details. But, if you have a source for Japanese ePubs, you can sideload them and read them.

I think that if you can get your hands on a Kobo ereader, you will be able to use it to read Japanese books wherever you are. If you want more details, have a look in the Kobo forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle Touch does support Japanese, and has a Japanese dictionary.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
giorgioCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That is not correct, or at least incomplete.

All the current Kobo devices support Japanese no matter where you buy it. You can change the interface to use Japanese. They support a Japanese dictionary and English to Japanese translation dictionary. There have been complaints about the Japanese dictionary, but some of them were fixed in the latest firmware and someone has built an alternative dictionary to install.

I think the second point is more related to buying books from the Kobo/Rakuten shop. This has been discussed in the Kobo forums, but I don't remember the details. But, if you have a source for Japanese ePubs, you can sideload them and read them.

thank for the answer.

I think the same, I suppose they were referring to the Rakuten.jp shop you buy e-books through. A customer assistant told me that no matter if I got the device through other retailers who do ship to my country, I won't be able to buy e-books from rakuten because of the location outside Japan and credit card issues. I have read the kobo forum for details and didn't find any solution available for me to overcome this problem, but yes downloading Japanese ePubs from another source might be a solution, unfortunately I´ve heard that Rakuten is the largest website Japanese for Japanese E-books.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
giorgioCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle Touch does support Japanese, and has a Japanese dictionary.
You're right I suppose I've misunderstood them when they replied me about this problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
giorgioCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Not sure what your options are for getting it shipped to Peru, but a "regular" Kobo should give you Japanese display options no matter where it's from (it has Japanese in all the international firmware). You could try options in the U.S. to get it shipped to you.
Having said that, you may still be limited in terms of the Japanese books you can buy without a Japanese account/credit card.
Thank for answering.
I had heard about it in the past but I was not sure this was true. It really has a J -> J dictionary incorporated, though there are some complaints regarding the quality.

I didn't even bothered to ask Kobobooks.com, I went directly to the Japanese web site Rakuten.jp as they provide a well known japanese kobo e-reader, but thank you now I find a reliable solution.

I think Ebay is an option for getting it shipped to my country, most of the sellers offer international shipment
Old 02-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
giorgioCh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
Have you checked onyx i62HD (it comes in two versions - with or without front light)

You can install any stardict dictionary in it :-

I checked the link given in onyx forum and these dictionaries can be installed:

http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/ja/
http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
Thanks for the answer

I think it could be a good alternative, but I've checked the links and didn't find a J -> J dictionary.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgioCh View Post
Thanks for the answer

I think it could be a good alternative, but I've checked the links and didn't find a J -> J dictionary.
Hi
I do not know Japanese characters and so couldn't identify the dictionary exactly, but there are many sub folders.
Found few dictionaries under "Babylon". Also you can ask about it in onyx sub forum. But this is the most flexible ereader in terms of firmware.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote