Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #76
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There's also the simplicity of use. For all that "just works" people say of iOS, tell me how you download an email attachment and open it in your app of choice
I don't have a a network available to check, but I think the answer is:
Select attachment
Choose Transfer icon
Choose 'Open In...'
Select app

Quote:
or how you take a picture and share it from the camera app itself
Take photo
Choose icon in bottom left of screen
Choose Transfer icon
Choose Email photo (or Message, or Tweet)
I don't think you can 'Open In...' to a different app, you have to switch to the app and import the photo.

Android is clearly more flexible that iOS, I don't think anyone would argue against that.
iOS has been designed to make the most common tasks easy, the downside being that less common tasks are sometimes tortuous.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #77
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
OK, I went through this article, looked at the responses prior, and still don't see a huge advantage. The most alluring thing I've seen is tethering the device to a dongle, and accessing data from that dongle. Which is something I can't see myself doing, but no doubt is useful to others. I must be missing out on the truly advanced features.

What are the advantages of Android to the majority of users that makes its flexibility much more appealing than the tight integration of Apple with iTunes and iCloud?
I'm surprised that you don't see the ability of Android apps to share data as an advantage that would appeal to the majority of users.

Also, why do you consider the tight integration with iTunes and the iCloud as something that would outweigh the flexibility for Android users? Android devices have seamless integration with Google's Play, Drive and cloud services.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #78
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Android devices have seamless integration with Google's Play, Drive and cloud services.

Graham
They also have access to Dropbox, Skydrive and any number of other cloud storage services.

Sideloading apps is very important to some of us, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #79
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
iOS has been designed to make the most common tasks easy, the downside being that less common tasks are sometimes tortuous.
And therein lies the problem - apple decides what should be common, not the user! If I want my photos to go to Dropbox, not facebook, that's my choice to make.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #80
Tacty
Zealot
Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tacty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One/Kobo Touch/iPad3
Quote:
ios has been designed to get money from itunes and not for sideloading files, transfering files, moving files, or do anything else but buying things from itunes and app store...
Tacty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #81
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I guess I just don't do a lot of data transferring. Not on my phone, anyhow. So far the SMS notifications is the only thing that I would really find useful.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #82
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Though I don't base buying decisions on public popularity, I do pay attention when even the professionals I know -- the ones who have made their living from Apple for decades -- are now thoroughly annoyed and casting about for alternatives.

Pro musicians are talking about Cubase again, probably because it's one of the few original DAWs to have survived which are still cross-platform. Ableton Live doesn't count because you can't edit waveforms or, most importantly, arrange midi parts at all (let alone see them in music notation).

One of my friends is a sound engineer who also writes iPhone audio apps. Another writes product-emphasizing games for corporations. Suddenly, both are looking at Thinkpads and building PC towers. If those foonts are now disgusted with Apple's limitations, then something seems to be seriously amiss.

A decade ago, one of them used to stroll resignedly over to his PC while muttering "MicroSloth." He isn't saying that kind of thing any more. All his ire is directed at Logic's bizarre CPU misuse and tendency to stutter until restarted.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 01-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #83
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
And therein lies the problem - apple decides what should be common, not the user! If I want my photos to go to Dropbox, not facebook, that's my choice to make.
Yes, they do, that is a fair summary.
It is a model that has been extremely successful for them, as there are many people who do just want something very simple with not too many options, but is most definitely is not the best choice for everyone, and is deliberately limited to far less that the technology would allow, which is frustrating to some as a matter of principle.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Also on the downside is that iOS hasn't allowed for the fact that various tasks might become more common for users over time. "Common" isn't a constant.

They'll figure it out, though... or not.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #85
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
MS does similar things internally wanting to put all your documents like a picture one place of its choosing. Sure it is not difficult to put the document in your chosen "new pictures of 2013" directory but then the MS goes back to its default next time. No choice is given to you about the default.

Last edited by frahse; 01-14-2013 at 06:42 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #86
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Somehow assimilation did not take. This may require brain surgery.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #87
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacty View Post
dude, you're barista from samsung commercial :-)
Unfortunate if you can't speak about your experience without being compared to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Any significance to your username?
It's actually a variant of my usual username (which was already taken), but if you must ask :

hype 1 |hīp| informal
noun
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #88
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
MS does similar things internally wanting to put all your documents like a picture one place of its choosing. Sure it is not difficult to put the document in your chosen "new pictures of 2013" directory but then the MS goes back to its default next time. No choice is given to you about the default.
Are you talking about libraries? It's easy to change the included locations or default save location with those.

It's so easy I discovered it without having to Google.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #89
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Are you talking about libraries? It's easy to change the included locations or default save location with those.

It's so easy I discovered it without having to Google.
I'd rather just turn the d@mn things off. I was able to make them mostly go away by installing Classic Shell at home, but we just (finally) switched over the Win7 at work, and the IT dept has been overzealous in locking out any customization.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #90
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
....hell at home, but we just (finally) switched over the Win7 at work, and the IT dept has been overzealous in locking out any customization.
Imagine that.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote