Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Your profile says that you have an iPad, but judging from your question, I assume that you are talking about a Kindle Touch (or Paperwhite). For the Kindle Touch and Paperwhite, the relevant instructions are here.
Oh thank you, you updated the wiki. I will in the future refer to the wiki instead
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:49 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Oh thank you, you updated the wiki. I will in the future refer to the wiki instead
Errrmm... not really... that page has been there for about a year now. It just seems to have been mostly forgotten since then
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Not in the part ixtab linked to, his update on the 28th of this month was to the "alternate method" of installing USBnetworking.

@ixtab: Is that page anywhere in the index pages?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Errrmm... not really... that page has been there for about a year now. It just seems to have been mostly forgotten since then
Oh. That is not the wiki page I seen earlier. The one I seen was https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...#USBNetworking

Kindle Hacks should be the more general, but that page only shows everything other than K5.

Is there a way to get that edited? Maybe: for Kindle Touch/ Paperwhite, please see here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
Your profile says that you have an iPad, but judging from your question, I assume that you are talking about a Kindle Touch (or Paperwhite). For the Kindle Touch and Paperwhite, the relevant instructions are here.
Thanks, I haven’t updated my profile in a while and have added the Paperwhite to my profile. Thanks for pointing me to the wiki very good information.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #21
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Not in the part ixtab linked to, his update on the 28th of this month was to the "alternate method" of installing USBnetworking.

@ixtab: Is that page anywhere in the index pages?
Quote:
Oh. That is not the wiki page I seen earlier. The one I seen was https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...#USBNetworking

Kindle Hacks should be the more general, but that page only shows everything other than K5.

Is there a way to get that edited? Maybe: for Kindle Touch/ Paperwhite, please see here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...USB_Networking
Hmm... I guess that the answer to both of these questions is: if people care enough, then the links will be there - all of those Wiki pages are freely modifiable by anyone.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Including the author.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Hmm... I guess that the answer to both of these questions is: if people care enough, then the links will be there - all of those Wiki pages are freely modifiable by anyone.
I didn't know that until knc1 told me - will check it out later ...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Including the author.
I will forget about the normally harsh response and just say: happy new year, let's just all celebrate and have a hangover tomorrow. New year is here in 7 minutes.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Sleep / Wake magnet assembly

When ordering my Kpw I had the choice of a $20 case without a sleep/wake magnet or a $40 case with the sleep/wake magnet.
Duh...

I admit it - I'm cheap - I got the $20 with the intent to add my own magnet.

After trying to make my own - I broke down an bought a magnet.

RadioShack part number: 64-1895 - a pack of two rare earth magnets for $2.19.

Each magnet is 3/16 (4.8mm) diameter and 1/16 inch thick.
Rather strong for their size: 10,000 gauss.
Much stronger and much smaller than the refrigerator magnet (which I had been using).

WARNING: Do not allow your credit cards (or any mag-strip card) to come close to this magnet!
That is: Don't put them in the case with your Kpw - you might just as well burn them.

The "natural" lines of force are from flat face to flat face.
This will wake the Kpw - but it would work much better if the lines of force where parallel to the case surface.

To do that, I made a "U" shaped, sheet steel, frame to bring the end face of the magnet that would be furthest away from the Kpw down to the surface.

The "legs" of the "U" are slightly longer than the thickness of the magnet.

There is a drop of "super glue" between the magnet and the steel frame. Just to keep the magnet from sliding out of place over time.
(Sliding it is the only way to get it off - 10,000 gauss is a lot of "pull").

With a US penny as a reference to the size of this device:

Pic: 1 - The rare earth magnet.
Pic: 2 - The steel frame.
Pic: 3 - The magnet inserted into (onto?) the frame. Note that the frame is about 2x the width of the magnet - This is a requirement.
Pic: 4 - A side view of the assembly. Note that the legs are slightly longer than the magnet is thick - This is a requirement.
Pic: 5 - Put it there.

Bring this assembly (open side towards Kpw) within 1/4 inch of the Kpw and it goes to sleep (from either "run" or from "off").

Final assembly will be to recess it into the foam liner of the zipper case with a touch of glue to hold things in-place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	98572   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	98573   Click image for larger version

Name:	insert.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	485.1 KB
ID:	98574   Click image for larger version

Name:	side_view.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	98575   Click image for larger version

Name:	sleeping.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	98973  

Last edited by knc1; 01-07-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
Quote:
For the Kindle Touch and Paperwhite, the relevant instructions are here.
Thanks for the instructions I setup ssh over wifi.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #27
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
You might be happy to hear, I already made 2 (TWO) edits on the wiki. Well it is a start.