Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I don't remember seeing these before. I apologize if this is old news.
It is new. Don't ask me why (because I don't remember my reasoning) but I made PDFs of all the buy pages for the new Kindles and that "we want you to know" bit was not present on September 19, when I created the PDFs.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Well at least now we can stop looking for the magic unicorn PW in the ads.

Also, yay to those ill-informed customers who didn't read the specs and are complaining about the audio TTS. Maybe they'll put it back in the next version. Me do happy dance.

(hmm, maybe I should give a one star review for the lack of TTS. Sure I'll look like an idiot, but idiots get attention!)

No mention of the blobs. Where's the tech media?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Interesting that they added this.

However, like others have said, this is hardly my issue with the Paperwhites. I just want a screen that's all one color and no dust (?) trapped between the screens creating bright spots.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
esin
esin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
As would I.
worse, screen quality that changes (degrades) over time.
What? It's only been a few days since the things been out and people are already seen degradation?
esin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #20
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Did you all write a review? I just updated mine, because when I originally wrote it, I was xendula gone mad after talking to 10 reps to get my friggin replacements, so all I could whine about was the CS.
Thing is, I always used to think people were not credible in the past, when I heard them say one bad thing about Amazon CS, and the review should have focused on the devices from the get-go.

There is one really good video review of someone who has a good unit, but who gave it 3 stars because of the units he has seen his friends have received. I tought that was really cool, so I voted the review useful and added a comment. Maybe some of you guys want to do the same? It is now the fourth most helpful review after three 5-star reviews.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #21
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esin View Post
What? It's only been a few days since the things been out and people are already seen degradation?
Several people have reported receiving PWs that initially had "good" screens with few or no blotches/shadows in the middle of the screen, that developed these defects a day, or few, later.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did. My second one did not have pastells in the background, but they appeared about 2 days later and got worse (more colorful) over time.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
My 1st replacement looked fairly good on day 1, but by day 3 it had developed the color splotches and dark blue green shadows in the upper 2/3 of the screen.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #24
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One

That's 5?
5 on my device is way lower than that. No way I could read on 5 on mine in total darkness.

My screen is otherwise pretty uniform. But not as bright as that.
If anything, my complaint is about fonts being 'washed out'. Comparing to some other units I have seen, my fonts are not very bold. But I thought that was a problem with the brighter units, not with the less bright ones.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
esin
esin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Several people have reported receiving PWs that initially had "good" screens with few or no blotches/shadows in the middle of the screen, that developed these defects a day, or few, later.
Jesus. Should it really be so hard to light a screen.

Any guesses as to what causes blotches to develop?
esin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Jesus. Should it really be so hard to light a screen.

Any guesses as to what causes blotches to develop?
My guess is the two extra layers--one for light and one for capacitive touch. I read that the capacitive touch layer is sprayed on, but I've got no clue if that is accurate. Whenever layers are added on top of the text there is a risk of stuff happening, and it looks like it did.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #27
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I wonder if the screen colors splotches and dark blue green shadows are because of light guide top layer or capacitance touch layer below light guide and above E-ink display. Could even be glue problem. Will probably never know. Don't see this complaint for Kobo Glow without capacitance touch layer could be a clue indicating touch layer problem.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
xendula
eBookworm

Someone in another thread who works for a lamp company said that THEIR "white" LEDs often have pink, green or blue hues, even though they should be white. While these are diffent types of LEDs (maybe?), it could be that the LEDs are the real culprits, and the light guides below the screen just accentuate the hues that are less noticeable when looking straight at the light sources. You guys know how a crystal/prism reflects sun rays? Maybe the same is happening to our screens BECAUSE OF the revolutionary technology.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #29
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
It doesn't look like Engadget will be covering the story:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/12/k...paperwhite-uk/

Quote:
Amazon has found a relatively clear day in the calendar on which to launch its excellent Kindle Paperwhite e-reader in the British Isles.
I guess once they gave the product a good review, there's no going back for them.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
How to get rid of the light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Me too!! Get rid of the light and sell it for cheaper.
Do a long press on the zero level for the PW light chart and the light will turn off totally.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote