Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
charlieperry
Connoisseur
charlieperry doesn't littercharlieperry doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 505
Gutenberg and Epub

I'm a big fan of Gutenberg but I always have to convert their books into lrf before I can read them on my Reader. (Reading the pure text or html books on the reader doesn't work that well I've found).

I wonder if they'll start doing a mass conversion over to the epub standard.
charlieperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieperry View Post
I'm a big fan of Gutenberg but I always have to convert their books into lrf before I can read them on my Reader. (Reading the pure text or html books on the reader doesn't work that well I've found).

I wonder if they'll start doing a mass conversion over to the epub standard.
Depends on the tools available, I think. PG starts with plain text output from OCR scans or transcriptions typed in by volunteers, Programs like GutenMark aid in converting the text files to HTML versions. If freely available tools appear to do the same thing as GutenMark but producing ePub output files, I expect to see such things begin to appear.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will be able to convert the output of gutenmark into epub soon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can't think of any particular reason what they should start doing ePub versions. They already do HTML versions of pretty much all the books they are creating today, and that's just as "standard" (if not more so) as ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I can't think of any particular reason what they should start doing ePub versions. They already do HTML versions of pretty much all the books they are creating today, and that's just as "standard" (if not more so) as ePub.

ePub may be a dandy intermediate format, to use as a base for conversion to something else you will actually read. If the tools to do it are freely available, and the process can be largely automated, I don't see a particular reason why they shoudn't do ePub, likely as part of the same workflow that creates the HTML.

Munseys is in the process of adding ePub versions of the titles it carries. The site owner is apparently using Daisy Pipeline to do the job, but doing conversions locally and uploading, since Daisy is Java based, and there are issues getting it to work under Linux on the host.
______
Dennis
Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #6
charlieperry
Connoisseur

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but html isn't that easy to read on my reader.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Have you tried 1) using Calibre, 2) BookDesigner, or 3) opening the HTML in MS Word or Open Word and saving as RTF which the reader can read?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
charlieperry
Connoisseur

I can do all those things but wouldn't it be much easier if you could download it straight from Gutenberg in an open ebook standard like epub.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
I can do all those things but wouldn't it be much easier if you could download it straight from Gutenberg in an open ebook standard like epub.
I concur. If your device supports ePub as a "native" format, you can just download and read. If conversion is necessary, ePub is probably a better starting point.
______
Dennis
Old 08-01-2008, 04:24 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong but html isn't that easy to read on my reader.
But it's trivial to convert to something that you can read, and far more people can directly read HTML (eg using a web browser) than can directly read ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Munseys is in the process of adding ePub versions of the titles it carries. The site owner is apparently using Daisy Pipeline to do the job, but doing conversions locally and uploading, since Daisy is Java based, and there are issues getting it to work under Linux on the host.
Their output is quite ugly, and the books are created with a single XML flow: most of them won't work on the PRS-505.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM   #12
galactica84
galactica84 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
The Bookglutton.com converted epub files don't work with the PRS-505. I will try the Feedbooks site soon.
galactica84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, epub, gutenberg