Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
andavane
Zealot
andavane began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, + Wifi, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini, Sony PRS-T2
My Kindle 4's First Day Out

I only got my new (additional) Kindle on Tuesday, intending to take it out and about with me because it's lighter. My doctor's appointment was for 10.40 and I started reading it while I was waiting.

When he called me I finished my paragraph as I was going in and was about to put it away when he asked me,

Quote:
Is that the new Kindle?
me:
Quote:
Yes
doc:
Quote:
Do you mind if I have a look at it?

me:
handing it over Go ahead
doc:
Quote:
Mmmm, this is really, really nice!
me:
Quote:
Infuriating price transition 'twixt dollars → pounds, though
doc:
Quote:
Yeah, you're not kidding
me:
Quote:
I know, but you end up loving it anyway
doc:
Quote:
Mmmm, I think I'll get one of these for my wife.
Ten minutes later:
doc:
Quote:
What did you come to see me about?
Crafty how Amazon exploit the power of the Word of Mouth, isn't it?
andavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Infuriating price transition 'twixt dollars → pounds, though
That's only because the Ad-Supported versions that are being most prominently advertised ($79 for the base) aren't available outside the U.S—and it's causing some very unfortunate apples-to-oranges price comparisons. The non-ad version price ($109) is fairly consistent regardless of the currency (at least as far as I understand it).

Cool story, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
doc:
Quote:
What did you come see me about?
I'd have probably made some joke about internal bleeding, or something REALLY serious to check reaction time. You know, check to make sure he/she's paying attention. But, that's just me.

Amusing anecdote, though.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Cool. I took mine to my annual physical Wednesday morning, but it was so loud in my doctor's office I couldn't read. Too many cellular phone conversations and too many hard-of-hearing people talking very loud so they could hear each other!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Cool. I took mine to my annual physical Wednesday morning, but it was so loud in my doctor's office I couldn't read. Too many cellular phone conversations and too many hard-of-hearing people talking very loud so they could hear each other!
You should find a new doctor's office that's not in the geriatric center.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should find a new doctor's office that's not in the geriatric center.
Funny! Unfortunately at 53 I'm not too far from that point myself! As the "baby" of the family I'm amused when I get together with what little family I have left and realize that with four of us sitting around the dinner table there are usually four different conversations going on as none of us hear very well and so we are answering questions that were never asked and asking questions that won't be heard or answered correctly. It would make a great sitcom episode!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Flippin' 'eck mate wot kinda docs office is that. I thought they banned radiophones & the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
doc:

I'd have probably made some joke about internal bleeding, or something REALLY serious to check reaction time. You know, check to make sure he/she's paying attention. But, that's just me.

Amusing anecdote, though.
Oh not all. It's all part of the softening up technique. He gets you comfortable and relaxed to take your mind off your body so he can see the underlying problem more clearly. Like some of the dentists who show a kid a Mickey Mouse Film then they yank his tooth out.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:13 PM   #8
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
Just be sure he doesn't bill you for an extended office visit because of the length of time he took playing with your Kindle!
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clawdia View Post
Just be sure he doesn't bill you for an extended office visit because of the length of time he took playing with your Kindle!
Yeah well we're so lucky here to have it on the NHS.
Lovely too when you have a doc who believes it's wrong to charge people.

I heard there aren't too many like that in America... ?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #10
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I think I'm jealous. Right now, I owe my family doc $70 for a 10 minute office visit during which he didn't really listen to me, and he sure didn't fix the problem I went to see him about.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:14 AM   #11
andavane
Zealot

Quote:
I think I'm jealous. Right now, I owe my family doc $70 for a 10 minute office visit during which he didn't really listen to me, and he sure didn't fix the problem I went to see him about.
It's a rotten thing to do.
The trouble too is that if you challenge it, it will drain more energy/cost more money.
It seems inherently wrong to me that one should charge folks for being unwell.
I recall an ancient system from somewhere, where one paid the doctor when one was healthy and earning. If one fell ill, his payment stopped until he got you better again.

That sounds better than "until ONE got better".
Not sure why I'd lapsed into regal speak all of a sudden.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:11 AM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I've Been there. I went to the doc about left sided back and shoulder pain a couple weeks back. I get this pain in my armpit of all places in my back by the spine right between the shoulder blades and under neath my left shoulder blade it's numb. Within a minutes of him lifting my arm and touching my back he tells me there's that nothing that can be done. Not one Xray taken.

So I still can't twist or flip anything with my left hand or mop or vacuum without it getting worse. *sigh* He charge me $300 luckily I have insurance so I only pay a fraction of that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote