Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
achickey
achickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
5 Free Download of Modern Classics every 2 weeks

[Link deleted by moderator]

Found this site looking for Nevil Shutes "on the Beach" - Seems totally legit.
Stress's that hes not breaking any copyright laws - and I assume as the sites been up and running for some time that hes correct. Deal is you can Lend 5 books from his library evey 2 weeks, you return them by deleting them from your system. If you donate $20, the limit doubles to 10.

I had a look at the librabry he has and, for me, I think the selection is pretty good - Modern classic's.

Anyway - check it out
achickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is most definitely NOT a "legit" site - it's a totally illegal "pirate" site.

Link deleted.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
achickey
achickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Ok, I have just looked at the Legal section of the said website, and realised that its basically giving the "fingers up" to copyright, as the servers etc are based in countries that do not recognise copyright infringment.

Sorry. I was convinced it was an above board site, I would not have posted the thread if i did not think it was anything but. I had assume this was similar to the WOWIO site, but on a less grander scale.

Question for you then, Can I make/download books that I already own? Is this copyright infringement??

I have bought books since I was about 11 yrs old, I read at least 3 a week, I have bought multiple copies of the same book many times (you know how it goes, lends and book and never get it back).

Now I have the PRS505 and like a kid in a sweet shop am trying to load evey book that I have and every book i want to read onto it, so am trawling the web looking for downloads. I have found many many illegal sites, and the search for legal downloads seems to be harder than i first thought.
achickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by achickey View Post
Question for you then, Can I make/download books that I already own? Is this copyright infringement??
I don't believe that there's any definitive judgment on this yet.

In the U.S., it's perfectly legal to time/space shift content you have purchased. So if I have a CD, I can make MP3s from it to put on my MP3 player. I can rip my DVDs to my portable video player.

By extension, I should be able to make eBook versions of my paper books to read on my eBook reader.

I believe that how you acquire the electronic version of your content is irrelevant. What's the difference between you ripping your DVD and downloading the same movie? The end result is the same. (The person who is making the content available electronically is in trouble, however.)

But others disagree on this thinking that content can be "illegal". (These are usually the same people who think that ideas can be owned like property.)
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I don't think it's infringement to scan books you already own and keep the file for yourself. It is infringement to distribute them if they're copyrighted. I think it's infringement to download them against copyright, but even if it isn't, it's infringement for them to be available in the first place. The US government has a nice copyright website, and it's a pretty basic concept: if it's copyrighted, and you don't own the copyright or the legal authority to distribute, you can't distribute. There are a lot of books legally available out of copyright, there are some (and the number is growing) that are legally available through creative commons licences. There are some that are available as special offers and such, often announced at mobile read. You can check the wiki free ebooks page for legal free download sites.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
I don't believe that there's any definitive judgment on this yet.

In the U.S., it's perfectly legal to time/space shift content you have purchased. So if I have a CD, I can make MP3s from it to put on my MP3 player. I can rip my DVDs to my portable video player.

By extension, I should be able to make eBook versions of my paper books to read on my eBook reader.

I believe that how you acquire the electronic version of your content is irrelevant. What's the difference between you ripping your DVD and downloading the same movie? The end result is the same. (The person who is making the content available electronically is in trouble, however.)

But others disagree on this thinking that content can be "illegal". (These are usually the same people who think that ideas can be owned like property.)

A person can spend a lot of time, money, talent, effort to write a book or create anything - it doesn't have to be a book. Their creation belongs to them. They can sell it or give it away as they please. It's not for other people to steal it as if they have some automatic right to it. It's not that difficult of a concept for people interested in respecting the rights of others, and I imagine it's not that difficult for anyone who's ever worked hard at creating something just to have it stolen by disrespectful people who think everything in the world belongs to them.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbs View Post
I don't think it's infringement to scan books you already own and keep the file for yourself.
The law on this varies from country to country. It appears to be legal in the US, but it's definitely not legal under UK law. Having said that, it's highly unlikely anyone in the UK would be hassled about scanning a book for purely personal use that they'd legally bought.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
A person can spend a lot of time, money, talent, effort to write a book or create anything - it doesn't have to be a book. Their creation belongs to them. They can sell it or give it away as they please. It's not for other people to steal it as if they have some automatic right to it. It's not that difficult of a concept for people interested in respecting the rights of others...
Doesn't always apply.
In chess for example, a player can spend years finding a winning idea - but the instant they play it, it becomes public property.
There is also the controversial example of many protective covers for ebook devices - that leather took a long time to create; but the creator didn't even have a right to their own skin. (Rather puts squabbles about intellectual property in the shade imho.)

The issue of who has what rights, and when, can be a tricky one.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
A person can spend a lot of time, money, talent, effort to write a book or create anything - it doesn't have to be a book. Their creation belongs to them.
You are confusing physical property and ideas.

Ideas cannot be owned. That's why patent and copyright laws exist. If ideas can be owned (like a car), there would be no need for patent/copyright laws.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
You are confusing physical property and ideas.

Ideas cannot be owned. That's why patent and copyright laws exist. If ideas can be owned (like a car), there would be no need for patent/copyright laws.
Please stop. There are plenty of threads specifically for this topic.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Please stop. There are plenty of threads specifically for this topic.
Why ask for the stop here and not earlier when copyright infringement = theft appeared the first time??

I completely agree with deleting links to illegitimate sites, but asking people to stop based on opinion expressed politely smacks of censorship.

Last edited by Liviu_5; 04-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Why ask for the stop here and not earlier when copyright infringement = theft appeared the first time??

I completely agree with deleting links to illegitimate sites, but asking people to stop based on opinion expressed politely smacks of censorship.
The topic was about that site, then it turned to DRM/Piracy. I don't want to censor that topic, just hope to limit it to the threads where it is the reason for the thread. That's all. Opps, once again we are off topic. Sorry folks.

Bob
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
That assumes he was reading the thread at that time and chose not to reply until now.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote