Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #16
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Thanks. I got the instructions from a book scanning tutorial that was posted on Usenet back in 2003. If you want me to, I can upload the whole tutorial.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Not proof reading, but I found some tips for taking shots with digital camera for subsequent OCR.
http://finereader.abbyy.com/about_OCR
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #18
roon9
roon9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
BenG do you still have that tutorial? If so could you please post it?
roon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by roon9 View Post
BenG do you still have that tutorial? If so could you please post it?
Sorry I didn't reply sooner But here is the tutorial for Finereader 7. The files are in a zipped folder. Start with the index.htm file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Finereader7tips.zip (1.11 MB, 311 views)
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've been scanning an old book that's out of print using ABBYY FineReader 9's scanner and I've had really good success with it. Any highlighted possible errors are usually correct, I'd guess about 98% correct.

I did some experimenting with how to do the scans before I got to that sweet place though, and the best settings I found are using ABBYY's scan interface, scanning in grayscale at 600 dpi (the book is pretty small print), manual brightness adjustment to get the background whiter (you'll have to play with that per book), and the following settings checked under Options > Scan/Open:
Correct image skew
Detect page orientation (not needed in this book's instance)
Split dual pages
Convert color and grayscale images to black-and-white <---- this setting I believe is what really turned the tables and gave me MUCH crisper cleaner darker images that resulted in the much higher accuracy of the OCR readings. Before this change the background of pages often turned out grayish (it's very old yellowed pages in the case of my book, which made that problem even worse).

I then save each scanned page as a PNG Black and White image, which has given me the sharpest text. Just in case the OCR reading is messed up, or I lose a document, or lose everything to a power outage, etc., I have the images I can reload again if need be and not have to redo the tedious scanning again.

I use fast reading and don't use any patterns. The OCR reads are really fast and accurate now. When I first started with default settings, the number of errors was unbearable to keep editing.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 03-17-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
prom king
Sloshed
prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.prom king ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sony PRS-500
I have problem with ABBY 9.0. When I scan a book (with my HP scanner) it for some reason rotates scanned page(s) by let's say 40° and then it ofcourse can't recognize the text with OCR. Why is it doing it and can I somehow turn it off?

I've been using ABBY for quite a few years now and never had this problem until now with v9.0 although I previously had Cannon scanner.
prom king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #22
Smack-dk
Smack-dk began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1
Help! Problems with Finereader 11

Hi. First I want to say sorry for my bad English I hope you understand.

I just got started using Finereader for making my school papers digital. I works fin when I am loading a PDF file and it recognize both text and images. But I don’t want all the images to be in my new file. Just the text as OCR and some of the images. I looks fine when I tell it not to read some of the imeges and the Text file looks clean and fine, but when I save it as a new PDF file it’s all there. Is it not possible to delete some of the images from the orginal file so that it is not I the new one??
I hope you understand my question, I fell like I have tried everything, and it still isn’t working for me
Smack-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=149448
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
Smack-dk
Smack-dk began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy 10.1
Thanks!

Thank you for the link! I dont know how I missed that setting! Sorry..
Smack-dk is offline   Reply With Quote