Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 02-27-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Thanks Jon - very useful and illuminating .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Thanks Jon - very useful and illuminating .
What I do is when I am in bed is I have a clip on LED light on the headboard that I use to read with. When I don't use it, I have the front light on to 4 or 5%. When I am in the sitting room, I have enough light that I don't need the front light. I use the front light only when I have to. I don't use it just to whiten the background. If I need it to see, I use the front light. Otherwise, it's off.

I use a font that has enough contrast that I can see better with lower light. I use my version of Charis SIL called ChareInk. Here is the URL to the font. You will want the weighted version.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Jon - I'll have a looksee - I've gotten used to segoe script over the years .
Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #19
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
I wrote Bookeen and asked them if they shipped to the USA now. They said yes, and to use this link: http://www.bookeen.com/shop/usa/

Looks like the Muse HD is currently out of stock, though.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #20
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's now possible to order the Muse HD from the USA storefront, if you want to.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
It's now possible to order the Muse HD from the USA storefront, if you want to.
What makes the Muse HD better than the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (if anything)?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What makes the Muse HD better than the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (if anything)?
Hm, I don't have an HD yet, only a Muse Essential, but if I was going to list its best features as compared to a Kobo I'd say:
  • flat bezel
  • somewhat more responsive software
  • SD card slot

Bookeen's stuff has a lot of other good features like a relatively standards-compliant reading engine, decent build quality, and so forth, but those are things Kobo is also good at.

Meanwhile, the H20 mk2 is larger, and, of course, waterproof, so it has that going for it.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #23
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Hm, I don't have an HD yet, only a Muse Essential, but if I was going to list its best features as compared to a Kobo I'd say:
  • flat bezel
  • SD card slot

Bookeen's stuff has a lot of other good features like a relatively standards-compliant reading engine, decent build quality, and so forth, but those are things Kobo is also good at.

Meanwhile, the H20 mk2 is larger, and, of course, waterproof, so it has that going for it.
Well, owning a kobo and cybook.

The booken software is overall better. pdf margin croping, reactivity, folders. But kobo support kbz.

But, I love the Kobo one hardware. That sreen . That make the lack of proper pdf support frustrating. The screen would do to read my tech pdf if I could remove the margins !
I use it to read mangas. My muse is still my dailly driver for "normal" books.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-21-2017 at 03:38 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
  • flat bezel
  • SD card slot

One reason the Muse Essential may feel more responsive is that there is a lot lower resolution. A Reader with a higher resolution will need more oomph to update the screen. The H2O does a fairly good job at that. If you were to have the same resolution, I think the responsiveness would be less with the same processor.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #25
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Hm, now that I've had a chance to examine the Muse HD, I can say that its responsiveness is equal to or better than the cheaper versions with lower resolution.

I don't know that the higher resolution makes much difference when reading ebooks, though, so you might be just as happy with the cheaper version.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #26
GeoffC

The Muse HD is fairly responsive on page refresh.

Not particularly quick at booting from cold though - maybe one reason they recommend the 'sleep' option.

Library is a little confusing (to me), file structure via Windows could be 'better'.

Prefer the Gen3 !
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 AM   #27
Flinx
Connoisseur
Flinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of lightFlinx is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Cybook Muse Frontlight, Cybook Odyssey
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Library is a little confusing (to me), file structure via Windows could be 'better'.
But you have the directory structure on the Muse too: See all - Folders. There you can navigate like on the Gen3.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote