Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #1
artsybrute
artsybrute began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Blown DXG USB Port?

Hello. I'm new to mobileread so I hope I'm posting to the correct forum.

I have a Kindle DXG which I purchased new when it went on sale. Love it.

All of a sudden, I cannot send a book to it over USB. I get a connection error in Calibre, and just get knocked out of the remote connection while copying from desktop folder to Kindle Documents folder. The only thing that happened between the time that I could send a book/document to the time I cannot, is that someone did me a favor and plugged it in to charge when I wasn't here. That person plugged it into the turbo charger for my phone, high amperage. I believe that maybe there was too much power for a chip or tracing to handle.

I searched the forums but cannot find anything on this. I already installed a new battery, rebooted the computer, did hard and soft resets on the DX, and everything else I could think of. Amazon no longer forwards emailed books over 3G to the DX, so I cannot download my books to this Kindle in any manner. Amazon only sends books you buy from them over 3G.

Can anyone help with with this? Do you have an idea what happened? Is there a chip that I should replace? I saw the thread on adding wireless to it, which shows how to attach wires so one can telnet in. Would that still work (the telnet, not wifi), or is the damage downstream from there?

Thanks in advance for any help.
artsybrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On the off-chance it's not a random OS issue, try with another computer and/or OS and another USB cable.

Otherwise, any custom approach requires USB storage at some point unless you've already got USBNet installed, so, you may be facing a catch-22 on the software front.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
artsybrute
artsybrute began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
On the off-chance it's not a random OS issue, try with another computer and/or OS and another USB cable.

Otherwise, any custom approach requires USB storage at some point unless you've already got USBNet installed, so, you may be facing a catch-22 on the software front.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried another computer and I tried with another cable. Then I tried with another Kindle (not mine, and not a DX), and it worked fine.

So I guess you are saying that I cannot download USBNet just by tapping into the bus. In order to telnet in, I would need to have USBNet already there through the USB port. Is that correct?

Do you know where I can get a schematic of the DXG communications circuit? Maybe I can replace a few components, as long as there is no logic on them and they are just off the shelf chips.

Thanks again.
artsybrute is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxg hardware, schematic