Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
dagon
dagon began at the beginning.

Device: android
BBC News fetch fails due to conversion error

Beginning about a week ago the Calibre recipe to fetch BBC News began to fail due to at least one conversion error. I reported this today to https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre. The recipe author is "mattst", not Kovid Goyal. I noticed that at times in past if someone else has authored the recipe, Mr. Goval has suggested the bug reporter note the problem in this forum. Hence this message.

If you're also experiencing this problem or have any insights as to a solution, please share. I'm using Windows 10 Pro v.1909 64bit, Windows Defender for firewall and antivirus, and Calibre 4.17 (64bit). Attached is the text file of the Calibre Error Report.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 20200523 calibre bbc news fetch fail conversion error.txt (215.7 KB, 218 views)
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #2
lui1
Enthusiast
lui1 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Phone
quick fix for BBC News

Hello dagon,

The problem occurs when downloading the article at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51235105. It contains a HUGE table listing "coronavirus data". calibre by default will attempt to split HTML files larger than 260KB. But it cannot split tables, so when this happens it raises an exception and exits before it can finish making the eBook. Here's a quick fix that simply avoids the downloading of this particular article. It should then finish making your eBook.
Attached Files
File Type: zip bbc.zip (10.3 KB, 196 views)

Last edited by lui1; 05-24-2020 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo: simple -> simply
lui1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
dagon
dagon began at the beginning.

Device: android
Thanks a bunch. Today, Sunday 24 May, it downloaded fine for the first time in days using the old recipe. Thanks again.
dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:41 AM   #4
Hodgy
Hodgy began at the beginning.

Device: KT2 7th gen
POsting here in the hope someone will still read it. Thanks for this bbc news feed recipe. It works for me, BUT, for me it only downloads the headlines, not the articles as well. Is this because I need the rss url to be a print version? Or some other reason? What could I change in the recipe to download the whole article? It downloads the content without errors.

Thanks in advance.

Hodgy
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
Hodgy

I have enabled embedded content by changing the value to True, but read above this that BBC feeds do not contain embedded content. So is there no way to view whole articles other than on bbc website or app?
Old 09-07-2021, 06:37 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...47eefedee0e36a
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
Hodgy

Thank you. That works brilliantly.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #8
Hodgy

... and now it doesn't work again. No idea why. I copy and pasted the recipe again straight from your git hub page to a text file. But now I just get the headlines and then empty stories with a web link. Hmmmm ...
Old 09-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Works fine for me. You dont need to use a custom recipe builtin ones are auto updated.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:04 AM   #10
Hodgy

OK, so now I have it working again. I right click fetch news, add/edit recipe, then load recipe from file. I could not find a built in bbc news recipe. But anyway, it works. My mistake was that I copied both the old and edited code from the recipe on github (marked both red and green).

What could be the reasons for some articles not downloading at all? Article size? I'm getting no sport or football articles at all, but those feeds are not commented out.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Dont use a custom recipe at all. Just use the builtin BBC news.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

As for the sport feeds the articles have different formatting from the rest of them, and i cant be bothered writing separate parsers for it.

Tags
bbc news, conversion error