Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #61
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I dread to think of the time involved if I had to re-rip my music library. 50k tracks. I know hard drive space is cheap but between my music and my photos I soon fill an hard drive.

Space is still a big factor for me as I like to keep 3 separate copies of everything.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #62
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Since I retain any original CDs, re-ripping to flac seems pointless. I'd still also need mp3 files to play my music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm in the same position as you. I'm sticking to MP3.
The point would be to protect your CD sources against damage, loss, or obsolescence.

Backing up your CDs to FLAC essentially immortalizes your CDs. Then you can still go on using your mp3s as is, or make a new copy from the FLAC in whatever format you choose, maybe for your future portable players, with no quality loss.

For the record, I don't do this either, my fairly low bitrate mp3s are adequate for my purposes, and I have no motivation to put any more work into it.
However, if I acquire new material going forward, I might choose something other than low bitrate mp3.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #63
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Air 4
Quote:
Since I retain any original CDs, re-ripping to flac seems pointless. I'd still also need mp3 files to play my music.
If you rip to FLAC with CUE sheets then you will never need to rip those discs again (barring loss of your master library storage). Once you have a FLAC master library you can transcode to anything you like with much greater ease and speed than re-ripping discs.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have no idea what a CUE sheet even is.

My CDs generally get played once when I buy them, then are ripped to mp3, then go back in their jewel cases. I don't worry about the CD being damaged or deteriorating; it seems unlikely. Then I play the mp3s on my portable devices and/or burn mp3 CDs to play at home.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have no idea what a CUE sheet even is.

My CDs generally get played once when I buy them, then are ripped to mp3, then go back in their jewel cases. I don't worry about the CD being damaged or deteriorating; it seems unlikely. Then I play the mp3s on my portable devices and/or burn mp3 CDs to play at home.
Why would you burn an MP3 CD when you are causing a loss in audio quality and you have the original CD?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #66
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why would you burn an MP3 CD when you are causing a loss in audio quality and you have the original CD?
Maybe to create mix tapes?
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:30 PM   #67
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So I can pop in a CD of 8 hours or so of music and listen all day. So I can put five CDs of a box set, say, on one CD. So I can group albums by one artist or composer onto one or more CDs. So I can put multiple versions of a Broadway show on one CD.

Also, of course, I don't have to worry about damaging the original CD.

I like to buy those 100-track digital albums of classical music that Amazon sells for a buck and I burn those to a couple of CDs as well so I have a physical copy.

With audiobooks, I burn an mp3 CD for a backup. Most audiobooks easily fit on a single CD.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:09 PM   #68
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
[puts on pedant hat]

No, you don't. You can't buy something that's free.

[/pedant hat]

Sure you can... because there are different ways of (legitimately) acquiring free content, and some are better than others.

On Amazon, for instance, if an ebook has a purchase link and is currently free, clicking that link is a purchase in every way that matters. It goes into my collection, and if the author updates it later (say, to fix typos), I can download that new version anytime I want. That remains true even if the book was only free for a day and became non-free later.

On Smashwords, use of a 100% discount coupon works the same way as above. However, if the book is simply free, you can download it right away, but there's no mechanism to permanently acquire it - in that respect, Smashwords agrees with your philosophy. Thus, if I get it while it's free, and it gets updated when it's not free, I have no access to the revised edition. Sucks to be me. OTOH, if I bought it at zero cost because I had a coupon code, I can get the update.

As a third example, there's a series of books in this year's Hugo packet that's free to Hugo voters, but only for the duration of the voting period. After that time passes, the DRM locks you out of the omnibus. (See also library ebooks.)

So, yeah - lots of types of free out there, and there are good reasons to go with the model where you buy the book for zero dollars. Backups matter.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #69
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
Maybe to create mix tapes?
For me it started when our cd player broke, so we used the CD drive on our computer and made "back up" copies, other cd's I got sick of re-buying after having damaged them.

(yet my $5 "the best of Air Supply" remained unharmed haha). I enjoy listening to the music but I don't have the finely honed sense of "sound" that my husband does. He fiddles with all kinds of speakers and making sure the mixers are right, and I don't notice much of a difference.

Nowadays I mostly listen to the Radio and youtube and stuff like that anyway, but still enjoy my collection on my computer, too. (and my sansa clip mp3 player)
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Doesn't the Sansa Clip play FLAC files?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #71
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Some Clip models do, others don't.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #72
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
AAC MUSIC's A BIT SMALLER YOU KNOW?
Yes. Also, when you type in all caps it takes up more space on my monitor, and now I'm all out and it's all your fault.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #73
ratinox
Fanatic
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not with the original stock firmware, IIRC. Maybe with more recent versions. Definitely with Rockbox.

Power consumption is terrible with FLAC files. I was getting less than half the charge life with FLAC files on my Clip Zips (with Rockbox) as I get with Vorbis or MP3 files. This isn't unique to the Clip line: I see similar battery performance on my Fiio X3 (stock) and my xDuoo (Rockbox).
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #74
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Oh, sorry--my bad; I don't know what I was thinking. The Clip Zip and Clip Sport models definitely can play flac files, as can the AGPTek mp3 player I'm currently using. The newer Clip Jam from Sansa can't, though.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #75
ratinox
Fanatic

Quote:
Oh, sorry--my bad; I don't know what I was thinking. The Clip Zip and Clip Sport models definitely can play flac files, as can the AGPTek mp3 player I'm currently using. The newer Clip Jam from Sansa can't, though.
Honest confusion? There *are* five (last time I counted) different models of "Sansa Clip" devices, some of which have nothing in common with the rest besides the name.