Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Your MP3s are going to be just fine

Quote:
Let us now praise old music-file formats, and the music cultures that begat us.

The Internet is spilling many pixels over the fact that the MP3, the music file used on the original iPod, has been abandoned by its inventors at the Fraunhofer Institute. The German organization, a division of the group that helped develop the MP3, is letting its licensing hold on the format expire. The group is also responsible for the MP3's successor, the AAC file format used widely by services such as iTunes.

But the “death” of the MP3 is really not much of a death at all. The files will not spontaneously combust. You'll still be able to buy and use MP3s. They will not suddenly stop playing. (Your ripped Hootie & the Blowfish tracks are safe.) All this really does is move the classification of MP3 from being recognized as a file format of the moment to being a file format of the past.

Still, some nostalgia is understandable. The MP3 was, in its day, the spark of a revolution. The file format, created in 1993, changed the way we listened to music as it liberated people from tapes and compact discs.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 AM   #17
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So ... since I have all my audiobooks and music backed up as mp3 files, should I format shift?
Nope, no one is going to drop mp3 support, from an industry point of view all this means is that companies no longer need to pay for licencing.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I don't purchase albums anymore since I use streaming services, and watch youtubes, but I do have a lot of archived mp3s that we ripped from our old cds. As long as mp3 isn't dead it's all good.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #19
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Nope, no one is going to drop mp3 support, from an industry point of view all this means is that companies no longer need to pay for licencing.
So, now we will see the price of all mp3 songs and audio books come down - right? Right!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 AM   #20
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
They are just declaring mp3 dead as they make money from aac patents. Reality is without need for mp3 licensing it will grow.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I don't purchase albums anymore since I use streaming services, and watch youtubes, but I do have a lot of archived mp3s that we ripped from our old cds. As long as mp3 isn't dead it's all good.
Mp3 was great 20 years ago when we had space issues on hard disks.
So was divx for movies.
If you still use those mp3 in house as a substitute for your original cd's on the shelves, i suggest you to do rip them again in lossless formats like flac.

The quality of the cd with the advantage of computer management.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #22
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I only buy free books
[puts on pedant hat]

No, you don't. You can't buy something that's free.

[/pedant hat]

Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So was divx for movies.
If you still use those mp3 in house as a substitute for your original cd's on the shelves, i suggest you to do rip them again in lossless formats like flac.

MP3 is still great now.

Storage is still an issue on portable devices for those of us with extensive collections. There's also the problem of internet services in some areas having caps and excruciatingly slow upload speeds that already make it difficult for some (like me) to use online backups. By the end of the year, I expect my music collection to exceed the limits of a 256GB SD card (which I carry with me as an off-site backup since online isn't feasible) in MP3 format.

Then there's the time spent syncing my collection to the server and backups over the network each time I add to it and updating the SD card, which would increase greatly with larger files...

I have too many new things to add to my collection to justify re-ripping the shelves and shelves of CDs that I've already spent tons of time on. Switching to a lossless format at this point just isn't worth it when I can barely tell the difference. Your ears and needs may vary, of course.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #24
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
So was divx for movies.

Well, it's a bit of a balance between
a) re-ripping all my CD's to a lossless format that I wont be able to tell the difference of anyway
b) Not bothering
c) creating an island base in a volcano with a giant laser so I can take over the world.

I'll be honest b) looks kinda tempting, I'd go for c) but it's just sooo 70's.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #25
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm very confused.

The cite said this is "mostly symbolic." In what way ISN'T this only symbolic?
Is there ANY practical effect of this?
Is it merely a sign post to mark where history may see mp3 start to be treated as a "legacy format" or is there something I'm not getting?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM   #26
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I'm very confused.

The cite said this is "mostly symbolic." In what way ISN'T this only symbolic?
Is there ANY practical effect of this?
Is it merely a sign post to mark where history may see mp3 start to be treated as a "legacy format" or is there something I'm not getting?
The whole thing reads to me as "Fraunhofer instigates fearmongering when faced with losing a source of revenue". I don't really see any practical effect at all. Many people who want lossless are already using lossless. We've seen growth in portable music devices designed for those who want the best in lossless / hi-def audio playback (and the ones I've looked at also support MP3 in addition to lossless formats). I do think we'll see an impressive new generation of lossless devices and other implementation but that was happening anyway.

We may also see more download music offerings coming in higher quality flavors, but again, that market segment was already growing due to demand so I don't know that this will do anything but possibly speed it up by an unknown amount. (That takes time, effort and money on behalf of the vendors so it won't be overnight, especially since the number of customers who would be willing to pay more for those formats is limited.)

There are those who care about codecs for quality reasons, those who care for compatibility reasons, and those who don't think about it at all. I don't see the proportions changing much in those groups. MP3, especially now that it will be free of licensing costs to implement, is still going to be available, just like all the freaky a/v codecs and wrappers that are still floating around to be used as desired.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
[puts on pedant hat]

No, you don't. You can't buy something that's free.

[/pedant hat]

Amazon says I buy free books.
I bought half and half for free yesterday. My receipt shows I got half and half.

Buy: to acquire the possession of, or the right to, by paying or promising to pay an equivalent, especially in money; purchase. 2. to acquire by exchange or concession: ... to be the monetary or purchasing equivalent of: Ten dollars buys less than it used to.

If Amazon sets the price at $0.00. I paid $0.00 to acquire it so I bought it and now own it.
If the grocery store gives me a coupon for free half and half, I still bought the half and half, I didn't steal it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #28
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If Amazon sets the price at $0.00. I paid $0.00 to acquire it
You didn't pay anything, therefore you didn't buy anything.

You accepted a free item. Your click didn't initiate an exchange; it represented your acceptance of their offer.

Old 05-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #29
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
You didn't pay anything, therefore you didn't buy anything.

You accepted a free item. Your click didn't initiate an exchange; it represented your acceptance of their offer.

I even get a receipt showing that I bought it.

Oh and back to MP3, I think my cds are in WAV because I forgot to change formats when I started ripping them. But most players will play them.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #30
Shane R
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I even get a receipt showing that I accepted it.
T, FTFY.