Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
Robusto
Robusto began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Note2, BOOX Nova Pro 7.8, Kindle Voyage 3G, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Onyx Boox Note 2 Disassembly?

Does anyone know how to disassemble the Boox2? I want to remove the microphone. I'm hoping you don't have to use one of those suction cup things to remove the glass (plastic?). I notice 2 torx screws, not sure if removing them would help anything.

Thanks!

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-06-2020 at 12:21 PM. Reason: title
Robusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robusto View Post
Does anyone know how to disassemble the Boox2? I want to remove the microphone. I'm hoping you don't have to use one of those suction cup things to remove the glass (plastic?). I notice 2 torx screws, not sure if removing them would help anything.

Thanks!
Why do you want to remove the microphone? Sorry for the question, but I'm curious
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #3
Robusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicabum View Post
Why do you want to remove the microphone? Sorry for the question, but I'm curious
Because, while I'm sure Boox is dedicated to keeping things safe, they're a small company compared to Apple, and doubtless don't have the same bug bounty. Here's an example of what can happen, even with Apple's deep pockets:

In "Apple Safari Flaws Enable One-Click Webcam Access" on Threat Post, from Monday:
Quote:
A security researcher has disclosed vulnerabilities in Apple’s Safari browser that can be used to snoop on iPhones, iPads and Mac computers using their microphones and cameras. To exploit the flaws in a real-world attack, all an attacker would need to do is convince a victim to click one malicious link.
Also, I will never use a microphone on my ebook devices. The speakers are somewhat useful, because you can listen to TTS (through a sideload, the built-in one pauses too much on punctuation).

One of the more interesting attacks based on listening to microphones is that it is possible to guess passwords based on audio recordings of typing.
Old 04-10-2020, 02:07 AM   #4
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
Poke the mic with a needle a few times or inject some acrylic
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Robusto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
Poke the mic with a needle a few times or inject some acrylic
Good advice! It proved useful, actually! (because of the position of the mic, poking at it (prising, actually) was better than using pliers).

The back pops right off like would be expected of electronics, after removing the two screws. The mic is attached to the same daughterboard as holds the fingerprint button AKA home button. There's a rubber boot over the mic, I unscrewed (small Philips) the daughter board so pull that off, then screwed the daughter board back down & prised the mic with a flat screwdriver, re-removed the daughter board, to get rid of the bits of the mic, then screwed it back down. I was able to do this WITHOUT removing anything other than the speaker connectors (those are in pretty good, pop UP, not to the side). I opted to tuck the speaker wires in a blank spot, in case I ever want to play sound on mine later (the mic ain't coming back, there's no way I could SMD a component LOL). Anyway, I took some care regarding the top button, but it all popped right back on. The bottom screws are necessary to keep the case on good, on the bottom. Full function check, all systems go, and the mic recording is 100% sound-free, which was my goal.

It feels a lot more like a minimalist machine now, which is what I want.
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 09:49 PM   #6
amhw
amhw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Good advice! It proved useful, actually! (because of the position of the mic, poking at it (prising, actually) was better than using pliers).

The back pops right off like would be expected of electronics, after removing the two screws. The mic is attached to the same daughterboard as holds the fingerprint button AKA home button. There's a rubber boot over the mic, I unscrewed (small Philips) the daughter board so pull that off, then screwed the daughter board back down & prised the mic with a flat screwdriver, re-removed the daughter board, to get rid of the bits of the mic, then screwed it back down. I was able to do this WITHOUT removing anything other than the speaker connectors (those are in pretty good, pop UP, not to the side). I opted to tuck the speaker wires in a blank spot, in case I ever want to play sound on mine later (the mic ain't coming back, there's no way I could SMD a component LOL). Anyway, I took some care regarding the top button, but it all popped right back on. The bottom screws are necessary to keep the case on good, on the bottom. Full function check, all systems go, and the mic recording is 100% sound-free, which was my goal.

Did you, by any chance, take pictures of the machine when you took it apart? It sounds like Onyx removed the glue found on the Max (cf. this mobileread thread).
amhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #7
cartoonlounge
cartoonlounge began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2
Quote:

Could you maybe post a short video on the process of removal of the back cover? I cannot replicate it on my own device.
cartoonlounge is offline   Reply With Quote