Notices

View Poll Results: Flush or recessed screen
Flush screen 29 53.70%
Recessed screen 25 46.30%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2020, 08:04 PM   #1
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Flush or recessed screen?

I am aware of the pros and cons of flush and recessed screen.

Flush:

1.Looks better

2. No dust getting trapped at the sides

Recessed:

1. More clarity

2. Easier to put fingers on bezel without fingers slipping off and touching the screen

3. Lesser light reflection

On the other hand, take a Kobo Forma, for example. It has a flush screen. If the touchscreen is not used for page turn, and buttons are used instead, the screen will not have too many smudges.
The fingers can also be rested on the strip where the buttons are located so they will not slip and touch the screen accidentally.
That solves 1 of the problem of flush screen.

I am wondering about the clarity of a flush screen compared to a recessed screen. Can the lack of clarity be solved by increasing the weight of the font?

Also, how much better is the lighting on a flush screen than a recessed one? In what way is it better? Is it brighter, or just more even?

Which of the two screens do you prefer and why? Do they make a big difference?

Thanks!

Last edited by HolyAura; 04-01-2020 at 07:33 PM.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:23 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I didn't vote because I don't have a preference either way. My Kindles have flush screens, my Nook and my Libra have recessed screens. The screens are pretty similar on all of them (with the exception of the Voyage, which has a slightly sharper and whiter screen than my other readers).

I wouldn't say there's really any difference in screen quality of modern eink readers. They're all equally good.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I didn't vote since there is not a "I don't care" option. I've used readers with both recessed and flush screens and I've don't have a preference for either. Given the same technology for the touch, I haven't seen any real difference in brightness or sharpness. The older IR touch screens had fewer layers so, in theory, could be sharper for the same screen resolution but I needed a loupe to see any differences.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-31-2020 at 09:22 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I prefer and will only purchase a recessed screen. I like the having the bezel to hold the reader by, for me it makes it much more comfortable for long reading periods. I also think a recessed screen looks better.

But I also avoid capacitive touch ereaders, so right there flush is out for me. I use my readers outdoors in cold weather, so being able to use it with all thickness of gloves is a must (and no, I'm not about to buy 4 pairs of special gloves or ruin my warm gloves by sewing in the metallic thread in the finger tips).

I also keep my readers in a cover always and don't eat over them using them as a crumb tray, so I've never had a problem with having to clean dust or particles out from under the bezel.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I didn't vote because I don't have a preference either way. My Kindles have flush screens, my Nook and my Libra have recessed screens. The screens are pretty similar on all of them (with the exception of the Voyage, which has a slightly sharper and whiter screen than my other readers).

I wouldn't say there's really any difference in screen quality of modern eink readers. They're all equally good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I didn't vote since there is not a "I don't care" option. I've used readers with both recessed and flush screens and I've don't have a preference for either. Given the same technology for the touch, I haven't seen any real difference in brightness or sharpness. The older IR touch screens had fewer layers so, in theory, could be sharper for the same screen resolution but I needed a loupe to see any differences.
So there is no particular difference between the two? Lighting and smudges equal amount? Hands won't slip off that easily?
Advert
Old 04-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Flush:

2. Better lighting
That is not a feature of a flush screen. I have a Kobo Aura H2O and i has a recessed screen. The lighting is very even and very good. So I suggest editing your post and removing number 2 from the Flush section. That doesn't belong in either section.

Quote:
Recessed:

1. Lesser fingerprint smudges
Again, not so. Both should be about the same. So that needs to go as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I didn't vote because it depends HOW the recessed or flush screen is implemented.

Lighting: not a factor, depends on "light pipe" design. Recessed isn't a problem with ambient light shadow unless there is no margin. The active screen might not be part of a flush surface.
Fingerprints: not a factor, depends on surface type and if there are also buttons.
Dust: depends on the design of the recessed screen, certainly an issue on models were the front bezel is held on by double sided tape, but it doesn't need to be.

Screen surface finish, resolution, contrast, size and overall ergonomics are more important than surface vs recessed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I chose recessed, but only because in an ideal world, I'd prefer to have the screen without anything in front of it.

But in practice, my ereader has a flush screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:46 AM   #9
HolyAura
Groupie

I don't really mind the dust at the sides. The only two things I'm wondering about now is the clarity and whether the fingers will slip onto the screen. How much better is the clarity on recessed screen than flush? Does increasing the weight of the font solve the problem? If my fingers are resting on the bezel, do they touch the screen accidentally and flip a page?

Thanks for all your inputs!
Old 04-01-2020, 04:48 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Indeed, if I HAD to choose, I'd choose recessed. Flush actually is really marketing and makes the screen more expensive to mount and more easily damaged.
I've many gadgets, some are flush (10" tablet is largest, 7" tablet, phone 6" screen, Binatone eReaders) and some are recessed (Laptop, Kindle DXG, Keyboard, PW3, Kobos, Nook, Sony, Palm)
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I didn't vote because it depends HOW the recessed or flush screen is implemented.

Lighting: not a factor, depends on "light pipe" design. Recessed isn't a problem with ambient light shadow unless there is no margin. The active screen might not be part of a flush surface.
Fingerprints: not a factor, depends on surface type and if there are also buttons.
Dust: depends on the design of the recessed screen, certainly an issue on models were the front bezel is held on by double sided tape, but it doesn't need to be.

Screen surface finish, resolution, contrast, size and overall ergonomics are more important than surface vs recessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Indeed, if I HAD to choose, I'd choose recessed. Flush actually is really marketing and makes the screen more expensive to mount and more easily damaged.
I've many gadgets, some are flush (10" tablet is largest, 7" tablet, phone 6" screen, Binatone eReaders) and some are recessed (Laptop, Kindle DXG, Keyboard, PW3, Kobos, Nook, Sony, Palm)
What Quoth said
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Recessed WITH BUTTONS for page turning
Reduced damage, grubby fingers have a dedicated place and not encroach onto the viewing area.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't really mind the dust at the sides. The only two things I'm wondering about now is the clarity and whether the fingers will slip onto the screen. How much better is the clarity on recessed screen than flush? Does increasing the weight of the font solve the problem? If my fingers are resting on the bezel, do they touch the screen accidentally and flip a page?

Thanks for all your inputs!
No real differences in clarity. Note that most modern readers with recessed screens use the same capacitive touch the flush-screen readers use, so the screens are basically the same. IR touch isn't popular anymore (all my 6 ereaders, Kindles, Nook, Kobo, use capacitive touch, none of them uses IR. They're all relatively recent models, except for the Voyage).

As to slipping fingers, sorry, no idea. All my ereaders have buttons and I use those, so no accidental slipping.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thank you for saving me from typing this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:56 PM   #15
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I haven't had a flush screen ereader yet, but I would like one. Wiping the screen to remove dust and finger grease (even with page turn buttons I still touch the screen often for the menus) is a daily ritual. Cleaning a flush screen would go that little bit quicker and better and for me that would be worth it considering the amount of times I'm doing it.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote