Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 05:26 AM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do understand why the Kindles win in these reviews. But it sure ain't because of the basic.
Yes.
Also almost none are fair. Many don't even mention any alternate device or source of ebooks.
Or that the biggest advantage is being able to read maybe 70,000 public domain books, many classics and many out of print.
The being able to have all your current books in your pocket is only really an advantage for people away from home more than a day.

The reviews are like the reviews for any other major brand of gadget, pretty useless, especially on real usage and comparisons.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Sorry guys, I should have clarified that I am working from what the lowest price I've seen an ENTRY LEVEL device lately has been, and for me that was:
Kobo Clara HD: Around $120 CDN (although I have a vague recollection I *might* have seen them as low as $110). And yes, before I continue, I'm pretty sure an "entry-level" Kobo is still better than the Kindle basic for resolution, storage size etc. But the argument here is that for the "average Joe Consumer" they may not look further than the price tag and the fact they both light up.
Best price I've seen lately on the New Kindle (160(?) dpi, 4GB storage, no ads, light-up screen): $84.99 CDN.... That is a good $25 - $35 cheaper, and yes, the average consumer can be swayed by that!

We are not arguing what WE (enthusiasts enough to be on this forum in the first place) would pay, the original question on this thread was why it is appealing to the masses.
The resolution of the basic Kindle is low resolution and that is not going to be as sharp and clear as a Kobo Clara HD or Kindle PW4 at 300DPI. The thing is, this is something you will be looking at a lot and you do want what's going to be easier to read with and that's a Reader with a 300DPI screen and if you were looking at the Kindle basic because of the price, then the Kobo Clara HD is the one as it's cheaper then the PW4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 05:45 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you are making too big of a deal over the Kindle basic. The OP was asking why in almost all reviews Kindle is ranked as superior to Kobo. I'll tell you, it isn't the availability of the Kindle basic that causes that trend. (For one thing, the disappearance of the Kobo Aura 2 is relatively recent.) When the Aura 2 and the basic are compared, the Aura 2 is a better device.

I do understand why the Kindles win in these reviews. But it sure ain't because of the basic.
Kindles come out the winner because the reviewers don't understand how to use Kobo. They try to compare like for like and they don't compare Kobo to Kindle properly. Looks at videos from GoodEReader comparing Kobo ro Kindle and this shows a typical reason why the Kindle wins. The configure the Kobo to look like the Kindle and Kobo is better then that.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I think you are making too big of a deal over the Kindle basic. The OP was asking why in almost all reviews Kindle is ranked as superior to Kobo. I'll tell you, it isn't the availability of the Kindle basic that causes that trend. (For one thing, the disappearance of the Kobo Aura 2 is relatively recent.) When the Aura 2 and the basic are compared, the Aura 2 is a better device.

Kobos page is confusing.
The Aura 2 is just Aura in the list. The target is Aura 2 (v2)
Aura ONE link on the list has issues (404?)

I have a Aura 2 (v1) (I have no Idea what the dif is other than it is twice the price I paid at Walmart)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Kobos page is confusing.
The Aura 2 is just Aura in the list. The target is Aura 2 (v2)
Aura ONE link on the list has issues (404?)

I have a Aura 2 (v1) (I have no Idea what the dif is other than it is twice the price I paid at Walmart)
The Kobo Aura is V6 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 is V7 hardware.
Advert
Old 04-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #66
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kindles come out the winner because the reviewers don't understand how to use Kobo. They try to compare like for like and they don't compare Kobo to Kindle properly. Looks at videos from GoodEReader comparing Kobo ro Kindle and this shows a typical reason why the Kindle wins. The configure the Kobo to look like the Kindle and Kobo is better then that.
I don't think that's why Kindle edges out Kobo in most reviews. Most reviews tend to be aimed at new/novice ereader users. People that aren't ever going to use Calibre or strip DRM or patch firmware or sideload a font. Most users are going to buy a reader, use the default settings and buy books from the default store.

Out of the box, both Kindle and Kobo give a very good reading experience and both allow you to check books out from the library (in the US).

Kobo gives more granular control and better library management.

Kindle gives a better dictionary, a better store, X-ray, Goodreads integration and Kindle Unlimited access.

For most general users (my brother and sister in law, my mother in law, my aunt) a better store is all you need to hear to make a decision. Realistically, for readers like the ones I mentioned, Kindle and Kobo stores are likely about equal. They tend to read books put out by the big 5. But regardless, if there are two devices of about equal merit priced about the same and one has a better store, the decision seems obvious.

Then there's also Amazon standing behind Kindle, a giant corporation that just about every reader is familiar with.

That's why I think Kindle wins over Kobo in most reviews.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM   #67
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I agree with every one of your points above, ZodWallop, but I think perhaps this is the most nail-on-the-head:

Quote:
Then there's also Amazon standing behind Kindle, a giant corporation that just about every reader is familiar with.

I have seen so many mixed reviews (and some downright bad ones) about Kobo's customer service and warranty... But Amazon are now a household name, and most people are already familiar with their easy returns, their prompt customer service responses, etc. It's the ecosystem everyone knows (and that's exactly how Amazon wants it).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't think that's why Kindle edges out Kobo in most reviews. Most reviews tend to be aimed at new/novice ereader users. People that aren't ever going to use Calibre or strip DRM or patch firmware or sideload a font. Most users are going to buy a reader, use the default settings and buy books from the default store.

Out of the box, both Kindle and Kobo give a very good reading experience and both allow you to check books out from the library (in the US).

Kobo gives more granular control and better library management.

Kindle gives a better dictionary, a better store, X-ray, Goodreads integration and Kindle Unlimited access.

For most general users (my brother and sister in law, my mother in law, my aunt) a better store is all you need to hear to make a decision. Realistically, for readers like the ones I mentioned, Kindle and Kobo stores are likely about equal. They tend to read books put out by the big 5. But regardless, if there are two devices of about equal merit priced about the same and one has a better store, the decision seems obvious.

Kobo has Rakuten behind them. Another giant corporation. So your statement while true is lacking in facts about Kobo.

As to how better the Kindle dictionary is depends on what words you are looking up. X-ray (IMHO) is not all that special. Goodreads integration can be OK. Kindle Unlimited can be a mess trying to find something good to read. Yes there are good books, but a lot are dreck.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #69
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Out of the box, both Kindle and Kobo give a very good reading experience and both allow you to check books out from the library (in the US)....

I think the Amazon factor is probably even more telling outside the US in some ways, as it negates the significant edge Kobo has in being the only one to offer library borrowing, a difference that would at least partly offset the size advantage of the Kindle Store. But prospective purchasers probably don't hear about that because of the brand recognition of Amazon, and the assumption that bigger must by definition equal better
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Kobo Aura is V6 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 is V7 hardware.
The Kobo Aura is V5 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 v1 is V6 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 v2 is V7 hardware.

The major difference between the v1 and v2 is the CPU.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #71
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The Kobo Aura is V5 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 v1 is V6 hardware.
The Kobo Aura 2 v2 is V7 hardware.

The major difference between the v1 and v2 is the CPU.
TNX, so Walmart got the slower model
Old 04-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
TNX, so Walmart got the slower model
But it was cheaper and better hardware then the Kindle Basic.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #73
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I haven't tried other devices, but Amazon is frustrating me so much lately I wouldn't claim Kindle is the best. I'm having issues with all my Amazon devices the past two months: Echo Show, Echo Dot, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kindle Fire, argh. It's like all their products have suddenly become very glitchy, not sure what's going on.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #74
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But it was cheaper and better hardware then the Kindle Basic.
It (Kobo Aura 2) is better than my K4nt (almost. It is missing buttons ). The light is wonderful. Page turns are snappy. Touch is my issue. I have big hands and keep tapping the wrong places.
I do like the Kobos shelf system display
Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It (Kobo Aura 2) is better than my K4nt (almost. It is missing buttons ). The light is wonderful. Page turns are snappy. Touch is my issue. I have big hands and keep tapping the wrong places.
I do like the Kobos shelf system display
Um..it's collections. There are no shelves. Just like there are no folders as it's directories and subdirectories.