Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Spell Checker

Is there a way to

1. Show the entire misspelt word in the Spell Checker? "nimals" is all that is shown in the misspelling list, even though the actual word is "~nimals"

2. Show a line or 2 of the text around the misspelling in the word list? Now I have to keep sliding the word list around to see what the word really is and what the surrounding text says

(This was a pretty easy example, but there were some that were very non-obvious)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	177626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	177627  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
When I see an obvious 'partial', I double click the word (on the left column), and it jumps to the next occurrence (could be more than 1 ) and see what is going on (and sometimes fix it)
~ and other are symbols, not punctuation or dashes, which is wy they are not included.
IMHO Calibre's Spell check does better than Sigils, which is why it is the one I use most.
My one gripe with all of them. Flagging UK English spelling (US Locale PC)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes ... but

1. The spelling word list usually hides the text with the misspelled word

2. Misplaced punctuation in a word is flagged, so why not show the user the entire word, including the symbol?

3. I usually just give up and change the book language to en-GB
Quote:
<dc:language>en-GB</dc:language>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	177628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	177629  
Old 03-10-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Get a dictionary that allows both, IIRC there's one at Apache Office.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
3. I usually just give up and change the book language to en-GB
Curious - what difference would that make?

I use the Reports tool to look for unexpected Words and Characters before I spellcheck. Where unexpected varies depending on genre e.g. I wouldn't expect to find a '~' in novel but it might be legit in an economics text to mean approximate.

Seems you're using a small screen. You might want to get a tool that will let you rollup the spellcheck window after you double click into the code window. On Windows I use Actual Tools Buttons, it's not free but it's worked for me since XP days so I'm sticking to it. Pretty sure there are zero-cost equivalents these days. To roll up/down I just press Ctrl+Win+R.

BR
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Curious - what difference would that make?
Does not flag many UK spelling. (look at UK.jpg and US.jpg)

Quote:
I use the Reports tool to look for unexpected Words and Characters before I spellcheck. Where unexpected varies depending on genre e.g. I wouldn't expect to find a '~' in novel but it might be legit in an economics text to mean approximate.
Guess I could / should do that

Quote:
Seems you're using a small screen. You might want to get a tool that will let you rollup the spellcheck window after you double click into the code window. On Windows I use Actual Tools Buttons, it's not free but it's worked for me since XP days so I'm sticking to it. Pretty sure there are zero-cost equivalents these days. To roll up/down I just press Ctrl+Win+R.
27 wide screen

When in edit, and clicking spell check these are the windows layouts, After double clicking first misspelled word (acetones) the code window is positioned with the affected line highlighted and the cursor positioned

If you look at Full.jpg, the spell check window almost always covers the area of interest, requiring me to constantly drag the spell check window around
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Full.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	177632   Click image for larger version

Name:	US.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	177633   Click image for larger version

Name:	UK.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	177634  

Last edited by phossler; 03-10-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Aa-ah, you were responding to theducks gripe.

Quote:
When in edit, and clicking spell check these are the windows layouts, After double clicking first misspelled word (acetones) the code window is positioned with the affected line highlighted and the cursor positioned

If you look at Full.jpg, the spell check window almost always covers the area of interest, requiring me to constantly drag the spell check window around
Why not make Codeview narrower and position the spell-check window on top Preview while you are spell-checking, viz:

Name:	Annotation 2020-03-11 122316.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	177636

BR
Old 03-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard

@BR --

Quote:
Why not make Codeview narrower and position the spell-check window on top Preview while you are spell-checking, viz:
Just in the habit of having code view as large as possible I guess

That would work, even if I had to reposition things afterwards
Old 03-11-2020, 03:17 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Is there a way to

1. Show the entire misspelt word in the Spell Checker? "nimals" is all that is shown in the misspelling list, even though the actual word is "~nimals"
Would you expect ¿atencinó? to show the ¿ and ? instead of just "atencinó" as a spelling error? How many spell checkers have you see where special characters are considered as part of a word?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #10
phossler
Wizard

If I'm using a Spanish dictionary, I'd expect such things to be considered

I'm not sure about handling punctuation, since sometimes words get turned in things like

Ho.se (house) or ho~se or ho`use, etc. Easily seeing context would allow correction to 'house' or 'horse'
Old 03-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #11
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Because "en" stands for English (American OR British OR Other variants). Calibre will then spellcheck using whatever your default English dictionary is.

1. In Calibre Editor, go to Edit > Preferences > Editor Settings.

2. At the bottom of the list, there's a "Manage Spelling Dictionaries" button. Press it.

3. In the "Manage Dictionaries" window, set "United Kingdom" as your dictionary by highlighting it, then press the "Use this as the preferred variant for the English language" button.

4. Close out of everything, and next time you open Calibre's Editor, Calibre will check spelling using British spellings.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-11-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
phossler
Wizard

@Tex2002ans -- useful to know. In general however, it typically is only a single book that I would need to change the spell check language

Depending on how many flagged words there are, I've actually changed the GB spelling to the US spelling (not sure why I did it that way; too much time on my hands I guess)
Old 03-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@Tex2002ans -- useful to know. In general however, it typically is only a single book that I would need to change the spell check language

Depending on how many flagged words there are, I've actually changed the GB spelling to the US spelling (not sure why I did it that way; too much time on my hands I guess)
You ruined it !

Folk do not seem to realize the UK English is more than just spelling.

There are regional phrasings that also set the tone / stage of a story.

Catherin Coulter has her 'Brit in the FBI' character stay a bit British in a typical US setting, while the US characters are typical Yanks
IMHO Perfect, same goes when one of us travels across the pond.
Regional Flavors
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:17 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:

I wrote about a workflow to handle "foreign words" in:

Export list of words in spellcheck

which also links to this post:

Is there a way to use the selection in a Saved Search?

... and now that I take a closer look, it was actually you who posted those threads! :P

Does that method not work?

And speaking of this, I've been keeping a close eye on Languagetool's updates, and ran across this useful file of theirs:

en-US-GB.txt

It's a list of ~4000 words (mostly z<->s, er<->re) that are spelled differently between American/British English.

Perhaps something along those lines could be used to mass automate most changes between them. I came up with something similar when I was mass correcting game files.

The thing you have to be careful with is there are some British variants, like Oxford, which prefer "-ize" words as well.

And when working on Non-Fiction, you can't go overriding book/article titles, blockquotes (maybe), and other edge-cases that shouldn't be altered.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-12-2020 at 12:21 AM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
phossler
Wizard

Quote:
Is there a way to use the selection in a Saved Search?
Guilty as charged

I was brought up to always italicize foreign words (most anyway) when used in English text, so that one wasn't really about spell checking

In that one I was was seeing if there was a general purpose F&R to 1) highlight a foreign word (e,g, ¿atencinó?), 2) run a saved search that would replace whatever the selections was with something like <span lang=sp><i>\1</i></span>.

Thought maybe a 'place holder' like

find: _SELECTION
replace: <span lang=es><i>\1</i></span>

Replace All

would allow a flexible saved search for (in this case) Spanish words (Had the side benefit of not spell checking against the English dictionary). Could have one for German, one for Russian, etc.

I've used your suggestion a little which works, but there's multiple steps; overkill if there's only a single occurrence of the foreign word/phrase.

If the book has multiple languages, German, Russian, and English it gets fiddly.

What would be nice is an option in Spell Checker to insert <span lang= xx> ... </span) around the 'so called' mis-spelled word with the option to choose the language

----------------------------------------------------------------

This tread was about something different

theducks' comment:

Quote:
seems to be how dictionary comments got started

I was only seeing if there was a way to operate within Spell Check more efficiently

PS: thanks for the tip about en-US-GB.txt

Last edited by phossler; 03-12-2020 at 03:40 PM.