Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2021, 01:25 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why are dedicated ebooks readers still popular?

When smart phones can do that as well?

I can understand when readers prefer the dedicated ebook reader eliminate distractions because of the unavailability of email and the internet.

However the dedicated ebook reader is something additional to carry and something to worry about getting smashed or lost. Isn't it easier to carry one device?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

I can understand when readers prefer the dedicated ebook reader eliminate distractions because of the unavailability of email and the internet.
Seriously? For starters, eink and all its advantages, including glare-free reading and long battery life, plus different, larger size options.

Quote:
However the dedicated ebook reader is something additional to carry and something to worry about getting smashed or lost. Isn't it easier to carry one device?
It’s not either/or. When it’s easier just to carry a phone, do so and you’ll always have something to read. But especially for people who always have some sort of purse/tote/backpack/manbag it’s generally not a hardship to carry an ereader also.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A phone's screen is too small for my old eyes. I also don't like reading books on that type of screen. I only read PDFs on my tablet, never regular ebooks.

But yeah, it is a hassle having to carry two devices. Now if my kobo also had a phone built into it I'd be set.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I love my ereader, because if I wake up in the middle of the night, I just increase the font, and I can merrily read along. Then during the day, I am appalled at what my tired eyes needed.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
At least since COVID lockdown, there’s no reason to read on a smartphone. If one is not commuting and traveling around, portability is not a factor and it’s an inferior experience to iPad mini or eReader, just because text layout is cramped (I do use a fairly small font).

When I was more mobile, I mostly just read on iPad mini and iPhone, Kindle was last in line. But now it is more 50/50 mini and Kindle (arbitrary split is ‘immersion reading’ on mini, everything else on Kindle).

If I didn’t have the mini, I’d probably have to get one. 10”+ tablets are too big, smartphones too small

Last edited by tomsem; 03-31-2021 at 02:30 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

There's this website, mobileread.com, where people have discussed this to death. Browse the site, and you will see many posts/opinions.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
But yeah, it is a hassle having to carry two devices. Now if my kobo also had a phone built into it I'd be set.
But you'd look like a complete prat with an ereader stuck to your ear
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

Besides all the other reasons mentioned already, there's the size issue. I have read on my OLED phone and found it tolerable, but even it's 6.6 inch screen involves WAY too much physical activity "turning pages" compared to the 7 inch screen of my Libra.

Fundamentally, though your question could just as well be asked of paper books: "why are dedicated pbooks still popular, when a smartphone can do that as well?" A paper book also "is something additional to carry and something to worry about getting lost". But you don't ask that, because the existence of paper books, single-purpose devices as they are, is widely accepted because people consider them to deliver a superior reading experience. Ditto e-readers.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
But you'd look like a complete prat with an ereader stuck to your ear
Yeah, but a happy prat!
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
While I agree with reasons mentioned above (bigger screen and eink), I never take my ereaders out of my home. I don't read books while out and about (news, articles and the like, yes. And my phone is sufficient for that). I only read books at home, where I can concentrate in peace (apart from my needy cats, that is).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I also do not like reading on a phone. The screen is to small.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
While I agree with reasons mentioned above (bigger screen and eink), I never take my ereaders out of my home. I don't read books while out and about (news, articles and the like, yes. And my phone is sufficient for that). I only read books at home, where I can concentrate in peace (apart from my needy cats, that is).
My eReader goes everywhere with me. My wife would think I was sick, or getting dementia, if I did not have my book with me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #13
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Seriously? For starters, eink and all its advantages, including glare-free reading and long battery life, plus different, larger size options.

It’s not either/or. When it’s easier just to carry a phone, do so and you’ll always have something to read. But especially for people who always have some sort of purse/tote/backpack/manbag it’s generally not a hardship to carry an ereader also.

I agree with Issy! If I have just a few minutes here and there to read I may read on my phone. If I know I'm going to have time to read for a while (like on a lunch break from work) it's easy to add an ereader to my purse or work tote.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
@jbcohe, you try reading in direct sunlight using your phone. Also, the phone is a smaller screen with less battery between charges.

I know the Reader is another thing to carry and be careful of. But I like using my Reader to read more so then my phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me, I cart around a laptop bag with my laptop and iPad Pro (both supplied by my employer and needed for work). Tucking my Forma into one of the pockets adds little to the weight.

Comparing my iPhone to the Forma, the Forma has close to double the screen area (1.8 to be more exact) which allows me to use the larger font sizes my old eyes prefer and the 4x3 aspect ratio of the Forma allows me longer lines compared to the 16x7.4 iPhone aspect ratio (4.8" width compared to 2.8" width). The weight is pretty much a sawoff with the phone coming in about 30 grams heavier. I won't get into the Eink vs LCD vs OLED argument other than to say that I am able to read on my eInk Forma for hours comfortably while on my OLED iPhone, my eyes start bothering me before the first hour has passed. This restricts the phone to when I have a few minutes to kill.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote