Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 PM   #16
wings
wings began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H2O
Could you tell me how to operate to make a screenshot of H2O by the fbgrab in kobostuff?

Thanks
wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 AM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
fbgrab something.png

Over SSH or over telnet .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-23-2015 at 09:11 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #18
wings
wings began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
fbgrab something.png

Over SSH over telnet .
I have done. Thanks lot.
And thanks for your nice kobostuff tool.
wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #19
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Thanks NiLuJe!! It is a great contribution for kobos!

I've just ordered an used Aura HD and I'll install this for sure

One thing I would like to see in this forum is an alternative way of launch scripts from nickel (other than fmon) and see you provide binaries for inotifywait and sqlite, so it could be possible to run a simple script with your other stuff at boot, that provides the same behaviour of fmon but with sanity checks (for nickel DB stuff and avoiding loops in koreader).

With a launcher this package would be the main hack for kobos :O

I'll make some research when my Aura HD arrives
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@pazos: fmon is already using inotify to hook into Homescreen tiles via png files (AFAICT, never used it; very, very quickly looked at the code), so unless you can think of another filesystem event related to stuff accessible from nickel to hook into, launching stuff from inside the GUI won't get much prettier (via inotify, at least).

Launching stuff at boot, on the other hand, is relatively easier, although, as we've discussed with @frostschutz in this thread, the timing (either onboard being mounted or not, or nickel being up or not) can be iffy to pinpoint without resorting to ugly modification of the rcS (the joy of a monolithic approach to the bootprocess on Kobo's part. In comparison with the Kindle stuff, upstart might be a rat's nest, but you can pretty much do anything you want with the boot process in a clean manner ).

For instance, right now, dropbear starts well after nickel.

Code:
┌─(ROOT@(none):pts/0)────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(/)─┐
└─(0.89:39%:23:22:93%:#)── pidof nickel                                                                                                                                                                                                                      ──(Fri, May 01)─┘
┌─(ROOT@(none):pts/0)────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────(/)─┐
└─(0.90:39%:23:22:93%:#)── pidof dropbear                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ──(Fri, May 01)─┘
2395 778
└─(1:0.82:39%:23:24:93%:#)── pgrep -f inetd                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ──(Fri, May 01)─┘

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #21
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
@NiLuJe: Thanks for your answer!

I'll use my kobo for reading books (koreader) and articles (nickel) mainly. On my mini I installed fmon to switch between those programs, but this requires a few steps, and its prone to errors (niquel opening png lead into bootloop in koreader until we remove that file...)

As this hack contains everything I need (but a way to start koreader without shell access) it could be awesome to write a little script that checks if launcher png files are in DB, to avoid launching the script while nickel is updating the file.

Writting a shell script that uses inotifywait to launch scripts is easy, I dunno about DB sanity checks :/

I'll check this in new Aura HD :d
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #22
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
it could be awesome to write a little script that checks if launcher png files are in DB, to avoid launching the script while nickel is updating the file.
This is what KSM did from the beginning. However, it turned out that this is not sufficient. One would also have to check whether nickel has already created the thumbnails of the launcher pngs, in case that they are needed at start up (and it is also disturbing when they are needed later, say while paging through the library). I finally settled for asking the user to make sure that nickel creates all needed thumbnails before one starts activating fmon. This is somehow cheap, and of course it makes the DB check pretty superfluous.

Last edited by tshering; 05-02-2015 at 02:04 PM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #23
spelufo
spelufo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is something wrong with the kobo's telnet?

Hi. Great stuff!

I've got a new h2o and I used this udev method to run a script in /mnt/onboard. I'm using the script to log some information into text files on the /mnt/onboard partition. Taking it slowly, trying to do it myself, just for learning purposes .

I've copyied /etc/inittab and /etc/inetd.conf from the kobo, and modified them and a new /etc/init.d/rcS2 (with the KoboRoot.tgz update method) to try to get telnet and ftp working, following this blog post. Ftp works fine. Telnet closes the connection immediately:

Code:
Trying 192.168.1.43...
Connected to 192.168.1.43.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
I see you have used your own binaries instead of the ones already in the kobo. Did you have trouble with the ones in the kobo or did you just prefer to use your own? Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
spelufo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@spelufo: No idea, I've never tried Kobo's own busybox build, since I come from the Kindle world, where the root password is either set or the root account locked, and I'm not even sure the telnet applet is even bundled anymore, so I'm using the same kind of passwordless telnet build, since that takes care of that.

Maybe you forgot to setup the devpts mount? Can't remember if that's needed for telnet too, or only sshd.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-05-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 AM   #25
spelufo

At first I forgot, but whed I fixed that I started getting the connection closed thing... So you are saying it depends on how telnet was compiled whether or not it can be used to login as root?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It'll call login, so it all depends on that. I'm using a patched login applet, and forcing telnet to use it and not the system's.

Not familiar enough with Kobos to tell you how the hell it's supposed to behave with default binaries, sorry .
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM   #27
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The built-in telnet works fine for me. You can find the way I'm doing it in my GitHub; it's one of the first things I did so it still doesn't use udev, but it works regardless. The default inittab file is not overwritten by firmware updates so...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #28
spelufo

Yes, I've seen it, nice trick with the hwclock to update the inittab file . Now I'm getting connection refused errors for both telnet and ftp. Maybe my router is blocking it?
Old 10-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #29
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The hwclock trick is stupid, udev method is safer. As I said, it's old.

Maybe you have two telnet solutions fighting one another...?

If the router were blocking you should not even get "Connected ...". There would be no connection to close in the first place.

Does http work? (if you install my webportal mod, though you'll have to edit httpd.conf to allow network access)

With webportal filemanager you could check out what /etc/inittab etc. looks like in the browser and download / upload another version of it.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #30
spelufo

I finally got it working. I tried starting telned from the udev script with the -l /bin/login option and it worked without inetd.

Then I changed the inetd.conf file to:

Code:
21 stream tcp nowait root /bin/busybox ftpd -w -S /
23 stream tcp nowait root /bin/busybox telnetd -i -l /bin/login
and start inetd instead of telnetd from the script.

Thanks for your help.

Tags
ssh, telnet, tools