Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 AM   #31
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Do you really think I don't know that.

I know, you tell us 10 times a day

So Jon, why are you running an old version of Windows on multiple computers. I assume you know that 1909 is probably already on your 1903 systems, if you run the appropriate enablement package then within a couple of minutes you'll have 1909.

FTR - I'm running version 1909 build 18363.657.

BR
personally, if you've not yet enabled 1909, then don't. stick with 1903 a while longer
at least , dont enable it before reading up on its various bugs, including the new improved delete all the files from your desktop trick
FYI I got the broken sleep to work again ( broke by 1909) after toggling hibernation enough times to wipe the hibernation files. Search box in file explorer remains broke, I have to invisibly type into it then press enter & hope; and there are other reported bugs too many to list here, affecting some users
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:06 AM   #32
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
======= I will summarize to clarify:
The issue happened after Calibre 4.10.0 and 4.10.1 in systems with same Windows version. Calibre 4.9.1 and older have no issues
This is not a major issue as no functionality is lost.

1- Its not the windows version: lets rule out the OS version (even if it could be a system issue).
Why? There are users with v. 1909 with and without problems:

With the error: "Calibre-parallel.exe - Fail Fast Exception"
@Horus68 = Win10 Pro v.1709 build 16299 32 bit
@varis1 = win10 pro v.1809
@Iskariot = Windows 10 Pro, v.1909, build 18363.592

Without problems:
@JSWolf = Win10 v. 1903
@BetterRed = Win10 v.1909 build 18363.657
@DNSB = Win10 v.2004 build 19564.1005

2- @PeterT and @kovidgoyal pointed to Video Driver issues (and Qt WebEngine 5.14)

That could be a good solution. I have an old graphics card (2011... someday a new one will be acquired!) Nvidia GeForce GT 440 (2 monitors setup) with latest drivers (the latest version 391.35 is dated from 2018). I even reinstalled full driver removing the old ones and their settings but the problem still there.

3- I even did a
Code:
sfc /scannow
for my system, also not solving the issue.
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:25 AM   #33
varis1
varis1 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver hd, sony prs2, aura h2o, tolino epos1 epos2
qtwebengine 5.14 Feb 20

I think the troubles are in the qtwebengine, it has changed version from 4.9.1 to 4.10, my video-drivers are up to date. I tried to use the old qtwebengine with 4.10.1 but it doesn't work.
I'm working on a productive system so I can not change the os in short cycles, it's not possible to have delays in my work with os troubles(an we all now there are troubles).
I will stay at 4.9.1 an plan to change completely to linux, where are much less troubles.
varis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:31 AM   #34
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by varis1 View Post
I will stay at 4.9.1 an plan to change completely to linux, where are much less troubles.
Don't kid yourself. I use Arch Linux, and the cutoff age of video-cards that are falling into legacy-driver support is getting much closer to yesterday than it is to last year.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #35
varis1

win7

with win 7 on my old laptop 4.10.1 is working without any error! https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...add1/smack.gif
Old 02-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
One possible solution. If the computer in use with the error with Calibre 4.10.1 is a laptop with dual-video, try switching to the other video chip. I suggested this to someone else and it solved the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #37
hiteshp
hiteshp began at the beginning.

Device: e61i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There isn't any such thing as a fail fast exception in calibre code, so its coming from elsewhere, most likely some interfering third party software such as an antivirus.
Even after the latest update, the problem persists. 4.11
hiteshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiteshp View Post
Even after the latest update, the problem persists. 4.11
Yes it will since it is an issue between Qt and your system video drivers. Neither of those are affected by updating calibre to 4.11
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:57 AM   #39
hiteshp

Quote:
Yes it will since it is an issue between Qt and your system video drivers. Neither of those are affected by updating calibre to 4.11
I have also observed that opening the book in builtin reader is taking too much time and latency is noticeable.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #40
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
same problem here
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #41
WayneInIndy
WayneInIndy began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Lenovo
Me too

I get the same error when I close the Calibre reader (Windows 10 Home). It does not cause any issues. It's just an annoyance.
WayneInIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well according to this https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1869713 it can be caused by turning off the windows error reporting service.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #43
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Confirmed!
Error goes away when service 'Windows Error Reporting Service' is turned on!
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:12 AM   #44
hiteshp

Quote:
Well according to this https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1869713 it can be caused by turning off the windows error reporting service.
Thank you ! Problem solved !!!
Old 04-03-2020, 05:26 AM   #45
varis1

solved

you have to turn on the error reporting-system only one time, then you can set it to manuell again, the failure is away. 4.13 is working without problem.

Tags
fail fast exception error