Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 AM   #271
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ilovebook: Imagine the Finder window is a Windows Explorer window, and that the Terminal window is a Powershell window.

Magic!

(No, seriously, it's eerily similar).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #272
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I tried this simple install, and it worked beautifully.
Formatting, with regard to words spacing and hyphens, seems to work better than Nickel.

One annoying thing, tho, is that any change to font, margins, spacing or anything take quite a long time to apply, especially on long book. It looks like it's recalculating the whole book formatting. Is there a way to limit this ? Maybe by recalculating only chapter or something ?
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:48 AM   #273
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Simboubou: Nope, that's a design decision in CRe (the ePub engine used by KOReader). The trade-off is that page rendering is then much easier on the CPU (i.e., in the perfect scenario: performance hit once ([first] book open), performance gains many (navigating the book)).

It's a trade-off I'm generally happy with (although we are interested in degenerate cases where stuff is taking an inordinately large amount of time, c.f., the KOReader forum), although it's largely historical: CRe was designed way back when, when embedded devices had ridiculously low specs (... they still do. But it used to be way worse ).

Feel free to try Plato, which probably does chunked parsing/decoding.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-02-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:04 AM   #274
Simboubou
Connoisseur
Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Simboubou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Simboubou: Nope, that's a design decision in CRe (the ePub engine used by KOReader). The trade-off is that page rendering is then much easier on the CPU (i.e., in the perfect scenario: performance hit once ([first] book open), performance gains many (navigating the book)).

It's a trade-off I'm generally happy with (although we are interested in degenerate cases where stuff is taking an inordinately large amount of time, c.f., the KOReader forum), although it's largely historical: CRe was designed way back when, when embedded devices had ridiculously low specs (... they still do. But it used to be way worse ).

Feel free to try Plato, which probably does chunked parsing/decoding.
I understand.
I may give Plato a try. Although to be fair, this whole thing is starting to make me unable to read a book without thinking "hum, this bit of text here would have been better formated by Nickel / KoReader".
Simboubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:58 PM   #275
miguelvaz
miguelvaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hello!

I have tried two different methods to prevent Nickel from scanning *nix hidden folders.
I tried the steps you mentioned here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=70
but it showed up a message saying I couldn't write on that file so I must duplicate it to do it...
Next I tried what you said in the second post of this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220
but when I open the install.command with terminal nothing happened. Here's a print screen https://www63.zippyshare.com/v/jG6XSBTN/file.html

I use Mac OS and Kobo Clara HD.
Can you help me please?
Thank you!
miguelvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #276
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@miguelvaz: The first bit vaguely looks like macOS is mounting the partition read-only, which is... bad?

I have no idea if macOS can fsck FAT32, so, unless someone more familiar with Apple stuff has a bright idea, get your hands on a Windows/Linux system and run a filesystem check there.

As for the second bit, assuming you did nothing wrong, no real clue about what got Terminal's panties in a twist, I'm not running Catalina, no issues on 10.14 on my end.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-10-2020 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #277
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
@miguelvaz: That vaguely looks like macOS is mounting the partition read-only, which is... bad?

I have no idea if macOS can fsck FAT32, so, unless someone more familiar with Apple stuff has a bright idea, get your hands on a Windows/Linux system and run a filesystem check there.
There have been plenty of posts here and in the calibre forum about MACs suddenly mounting ereaders read-only. And, I think I saw that something had changed in a recent macOS release to make this more likely.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:16 AM   #278
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, it certainly wouldn't be unheard of, and in this specific case, my money would be on a side-effect of the dirty bit issue with Nickel...
Old 04-10-2020, 02:11 AM   #279
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
It's been a while since I've last done this, so I don't remember if it works on vfat, but try "sudo diskutil repairVolume /dev/disk#s#".
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #280
miguelvaz
miguelvaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
@miguelvaz: The first bit vaguely looks like macOS is mounting the partition read-only, which is... bad?

As for the second bit, assuming you did nothing wrong, no real clue about what got Terminal's panties in a twist, I'm not running Catalina, no issues on 10.14 on my end.
Thank you. I tried with windows. When I click on the install.ps1 link it opens a new tab, then I save it using ctrl+s. My problem now is to run with powershell... when I right click on the file that option is not available and I don't know why...
I don't understant much about computers as you probably see, I just want to have a better experience reading pdfs on my kobo!
miguelvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #281
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Either you mangled the download, or you actually saved it as .ps1.txt with the .txt being "helpfully" hidden from you, because Windows is terrible.

There are ways to tell Windows not to do stupid stuff like that (hide known/common file extensions), but they depend heavily on which version of Windows you're running. IIRC, it should be somewhere around the "Folder Settings" (or whatever it's actually called) of Windows's Explorer.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #282
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Iirc in Windows 10 you can reach it under the view tab → Options.

In Windows 7 you can press Alt in Explorer, then Tools → Folder Options.

You should also be able to find it by just typing Folder Options in the start search.

Last edited by Frenzie; 04-13-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #283
briankaemingk
briankaemingk began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable
Hi all, love Koreader--love hacking ereaders!

For me with a brand new Kobo Libra H2O, I tried to install using the windows install script. It appears to add content/reset, but when it reboots, nothing changes. The reader looks as it did before, and no new books are in my library. Please help, thank you!
briankaemingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #284
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@briankaemingk: Did the "Processing new content" screen pop up on eject?
Old 04-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #285
briankaemingk
briankaemingk began at the beginning.

Device: reMarkable
Quote:
@briankaemingk: Did the "Processing new content" screen pop up on eject?
No.. no processing new content visibile..
briankaemingk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato