Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #46
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
% doesn't work. 50% of a book with 300,000 words is not the same as a 125,000 word book.
It tells you how far you've got. All books OUGHT to have the approximate number of words excluding Front matter, TOC and End Matter at the start where the copyright/author / publish data is.

The % or progress bar works for me.

Printed books only have page number (not x of y) and the progress is obvious. I'd only use the page number on a printed book with an index, so for a novel it simply lets me know two leaves aren't stuck together or a leaf or two hasn't fallen out.

Last edited by Quoth; 03-29-2020 at 12:09 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #47
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The % or progress bar works for me.

Printed books only have page number (not x of y) and the progress is obvious. I'd only use the page number on a printed book with an index, so for a novel it simply lets me know two leaves aren't stuck together or a leaf or two hasn't fallen out.
For a while I had my Kobo set for only the progress bar but I prefer having the percentage as well as the progress bar. If I can have it only display the percentage (or time remaining) I'll try that.

As you say, the progress in a printed book is obvious, it's simply from the thickness of how many pages you've read versus how many remain. Time remaining for the book I also like; I switched to it last night when I was close to the end of a book.

For an ebook novel I find page numbers completely useless compared to percentage read or time left. Page 184 of 554 doesn't tell me as much as 30% does.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #48
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post

As you say, the progress in a printed book is obvious, it's simply from the thickness of how many pages you've read versus how many remain. Time remaining for the book I also like; I switched to it last night when I was close to the end of a book.

For an ebook novel I find page numbers completely useless compared to percentage read or time left. Page 184 of 554 doesn't tell me as much as 30% does.
I really don't get the fixation on having "real" page numbers on devices with no pages, so share your view. I do wish that the progress bar and percentage count did not include appendices etc.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #49
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I really don't get the fixation on having "real" page numbers on devices with no pages, so share your view. I do wish that the progress bar and percentage count did not include appendices etc.
What's to get? I want to know how long the book is I'm going to read, whether it's the equivalent of a 200 pages shortie or a 1000-pages doorstopper. Neither the percentage nor the progress bar will tell me that. And the kepub page numbers won't either, because they're not constant and depend on things like font, font size and line spacing.

I don't need to keep the page number in my sight constantly. On my Libra I only have the progress bar active. But I can look at the page numbers when I want to do so, and occasionally I do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:24 PM   #50
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Reminds me of this book I read several years ago. I didn't glance at the table of contents or anything and just started reading it and then at about 3/4s of the way through it ended, surprising me; the remaining was his references/bibliography.

https://www.amazon.com/World-Arms-Gl.../dp/0521618266
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:30 PM   #51
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
And for me, I find the percentage completely useless. You don't know if you're 30% through 500 pages or 50 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
What's to get? I want to know how long the book is I'm going to read, whether it's the equivalent of a 200 pages shortie or a 1000-pages doorstopper. Neither the percentage nor the progress bar will tell me that. And the kepub page numbers won't either, because they're not constant and depend on things like font, font size and line spacing.
This covers me as well. But I prefer seeing the page numbers and shown as 245 / 546 for example.

There is no wrong way, use whatever method you prefer. I'm just very thankful that with Kobo readers we have the ability to make the choices we want to see on the page, thanks to our dedicated readers here who keep us supplied with patches every firmware.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #52
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Academics want this; they have to cite precise locations.

Book clubs find this helpful, too -- "okay, look at what this guy did on page 96!."

Yes, they are fairly useless for books read by a single user in isolation without needing to ever cite a passage -- but there are many ways to use and enjoy a book.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Yes, they are fairly useless for books read by a single user in isolation without needing to ever cite a passage -- but there are many ways to use and enjoy a book.
I have to disagree. I find that ADE page numbers gives ne a reference on how large the eBook is. So as an individual, page number the way ADE does it works for me. ADE page number are based on 1024 bytes of compressed text is one page. KePub pages are worthless as they are one screen equals one page. Tat doesn't give me an indication of how large the book is as I can change the font size (which I do sometimes) and the page numbers then are all different and thus useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:47 AM   #54
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have to disagree. I find that ADE page numbers gives ne a reference on how large the eBook is. So as an individual, page number the way ADE does it works for me. ADE page number are based on 1024 bytes of compressed text is one page. KePub pages are worthless as they are one screen equals one page. Tat doesn't give me an indication of how large the book is as I can change the font size (which I do sometimes) and the page numbers then are all different and thus useless.
I compromise: I see the ADE page numbers displayed in calibre library ( via the count pages plug in) so that I know how big a book is before i transfer it to Kobo. I then have no need so see silly little ADE numbers appearing on the right side of my reader screens.

I like the kepub numbers, I always read at the same font size etc setting so I have a pretty good idea of now long it takes to read say 50 kepub "pages" on my device settings
( also, its roughly double the ADE value on my device settings, which is easy to remember - a 250 ADE page book is about 500 kepub pages
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@stumped: This. <3. Plus a quick peek once in a while at the 'time left to read' features in one shape or form if I'm on a clock. Otherwise, full-screen, no distraction.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #56
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
time left in chapter & such like don't work for me because I abuse the algorithms by skip scanning boring sections.
pages left in chapter , however defined & calculated, is great. it helps decide whether to stop reading at sleep time or go for "just one more" chapter.
I aim to complete a chapter, then I will turn one page more just to see how long the next one is, before bookmarking and closing.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 PM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Time left to read doesn't work for me either, because my reading speed is exceedingly uneven and I often stop for a few minutes - to pet a cat, go get someting from the kitchen, look out the window, drink, eat, whatever.

As to any chapter progress, I couldn't care less. I've never felt any obligation to finish a chapter. I usually stop in the middle of the page and pick up from there the next day.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:27 PM   #58
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
As to any chapter progress, I couldn't care less. I've never felt any obligation to finish a chapter. I usually stop in the middle of the page and pick up from there the next day.
OMG!
I couldn't do that! I need to reach a section where there's a clear structural break in the story, otherwise I can't stop.
rantanplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #59
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
OMG!
I couldn't do that! I need to reach a section where there's a clear structural break in the story, otherwise I can't stop.
Well, everyone is different. I've read about George Sand that she was a very disciplined writer and worked a fixed amount of hours every day, writing novels. And whenever she finished a novel and there was an hour left, she immediately started writing a new novel, so that the remaining hour wouldn't go to waste.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:18 PM   #60
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
( also, its roughly double the ADE value on my device settings, which is easy to remember - a 250 ADE page book is about 500 kepub pages
^ same for me (it's exactly double, +/- 5 pages).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote