Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #8461
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I don't see how that's a question anyone here could answer.

I don't see any reason the pbook couldn't be published right now but, if it can't, only the publisher could possibly answer it. I doubt even Jim Butcher would know the answer.

And, given most publisher's past behavior, I don't suspect the publishers are even thinking of that possibility yet. They don't tend to be very forward thinking.
We do know that right now the pBook could not be published. Nearer the due date, we do not know. But I would think the due date will be missed for the pBook. The question is, will the eBook come out on time which could be done with the eBook makers working from home and everything in the chains could be done from home.

I think it's way too optimistic for Jim to be pushing the due date unless the eBook IS going to come out on time.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #8462
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The answer to your question is still "I don't see how that's a question anyone here could answer."

The publication date for Peace Talks has been known for three months now, it was announced in December. It's not like we knew then that things would be like this now and looking bleak for July.

The publisher might have a contingency plan, would be stupid not to at this point, but until that needs to be in place they might as well push on as long as it doesn't endanger people. If it gets delayed, well, that's happened before.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:03 AM   #8463
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Another Cover

I just stumbled onto this cover at Amazon!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #8464
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Oops! it was Goodreads, not Amazon where I happened on the different cover.

HERE!

Old 03-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #8465
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

That is one heck of a lousy cover. Looks like it should be on a self-published book.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #8466
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Oops! it was Goodreads, not Amazon where I happened on the different cover.

HERE!

And every single person who gave it any stars is a jackass. They've ruined the ratings and now it's going to take at least two years after it's released for maybe a reliable rating.

However, Goodreads could have fixed this problem by not allowing any stars before 2 weeks after the release date.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:18 PM   #8467
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Dresden Files: PEACE TALKS Official Book Trailer

Trailer

Old 03-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #8468
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Quote:
I am plenty dumb enough!!!
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:31 AM   #8469
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Q&A with Jim Butcher and Priscilla Spencer

An hour long video of Priscilla Spencer & Jim Butcher's live Q&A earlier this month. HERE!

Old 03-28-2020, 09:24 AM   #8470
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So if the pBook cannot be released on time, will the eBook be released on time? That's a question I would have asked.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #8471
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Authors make their biggest chunk of money from hard cover sales, so I don't see this book being released as either an ebook or audiobook unless the hardcover can also be released. Chances are, they aren't even printed yet. Already used a credit on the preorder, so I just have to wait......

I'm nearly done with a relisten of White Knight. I picked up Brief Cases so will have an extra book to listen to during the delay.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #8472
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Authors make their biggest chunk of money from hard cover sales, so I don't see this book being released as either an ebook or audiobook unless the hardcover can also be released. Chances are, they aren't even printed yet. Already used a credit on the preorder, so I just have to wait......

With the reports of how dire the publishing industry is, I tend to think they would take any sales they can get.

Can someone refresh my memory? Looking on Amazon, the ebook price and pbook price are the same, so is there more profit selling a pbook than an ebook?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:22 PM   #8473
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

I'm nearly done with a relisten of White Knight. I picked up Brief Cases so will have an extra book to listen to during the delay.
With eBooks being very close (if not the same or more) then the pBook, I would think that would not longer matter if it was the pBook or eBook that sold. And give that the pBook will be unable to come out on the release date, I would think the eBook should be released on the release date.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #8474
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I was just notified that the release of The Last Druid by Terry Brooks (final book in Shannara series) has been delayed from June 2 to October 27. Don't be surprised if this happens with Peace Talks as well.

Last edited by Tarana; 03-31-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:49 PM   #8475
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With eBooks being very close (if not the same or more) then the pBook, I would think that would not longer matter if it was the pBook or eBook that sold. And give that the pBook will be unable to come out on the release date, I would think the eBook should be released on the release date.
You are forgetting the wholesale vs agency pricing. When a HC book sells close to ebook price, there is still more money going to the publisher on each HC book vs ebook. The HC list price of Peace Talks is $28, the wholesale price is about half that, or $14, Amazon lists it at $18.02. The agency ebook price of Peace Talks is set at $14.99. Publisher gets only 70% of that, or $10.49.

So no, HC is still more lucrative, no matter how you look at it. If you can sell it, that is.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy