Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 06:01 AM   #151
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Palm Pilot bought in 2001. Total dead loss. Too small screen, one was pressing the next page button all the time, and the only really available formats then were pdf and some proprietary Palm thing. Pdf was hell to read with broken lines, and I couldn't interest myself enough in using the device for reading to ever master the conversion system to their ebook reader.

Now I've bought an Iriver Story, which was one of only two generally available ebook readers in Sweden. Would have preferred a Kobo or B&N's reader, but both require foreign addresses and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle. I'm happy with my Iriver, and hope that the open source world keeps updating the software, cos Iriver don't seem to be going anywhere with it.

So far I only use it for epub format, with the exception of a small txt file that I put in my Trollope folder to remind me of the order of the Barchester novels.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #152
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
My first e-reader was the Kobo (4 of them actually), for about a week. I pre-ordered a black Sony PRS650 but ended up cancelling that order as I found out my girlfriend pre-ordered it for me as a gift. I should have it by Monday, hopefully.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #153
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
The Nintendo DS Lite was the first device I used as an ereader. It was fairly difficult for me to set up at the time, with the conflicting instructions, outdated or mismatched firmware, hard-to-source software, plus getting the flashcart in the first place, but when I finally managed it, I was so pleased with myself (and quite taken with the novelty of reading on split screens too). I used the Lite like this for a long time.

My first dedicated ereader was the Kobo, but that was only relatively recently, almost half a year ago.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 AM   #154
Hired Goon
Hired Goon began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Palm Vx and wife had Sony Clie peg n760c.
Hired Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #155
Clytie
Bookworm
Clytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it isClytie knows what time it is

Device: iPad2
e-reader dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
I actually had nightmares about the Sony PRS-505 long before it even existed. In my prophetic dream, I had purchased on of the first 505 units to come off the line, and found it didn't work so well. The screen was too dark, so I had trouble reading it. If I tried reading under bright lights I got glare,and couldn't read. There were several functional problems, which Sony would not fix. Their service department tried to tell me to fix it myself. Their suggestions never worked. As the end of the warranty period drew near, I sent the unit off to Sony. They returned it...in the same package I had sent it to them in. They hadn't even opened the box, let alone repaired the unit. I began to feel like a fool for having spent so much on so useless a product. When I woke up, and told people my dream, they had no idea what I was talking about. Sony had never built anything like what I had described. No one had heard about it. That was 25 years ago. Then, one day, Sony built the damned thing, and I began hearing horror stories from friends who had bought them. I steered clear of the things...because of my old dream. I had paid attention to my dream, while my friends had not. I have also heard some good things from 505 owners. I wasn't about to tempt fate, though.
I doubt if this is prophetic, but last night I dreamed Tony Abbott* sent my daughter a Kindle.

It's odd, because (1) Tony Abbott is a Luddite and (2) my daughter has no interest in a Kindle.

* Tony Abbott is the Opposition Leader in Australia.
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #156
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hmm, it hasn't been long, but my first reader was a palm. I had so much fun with that thing I still have it to use as a backup until I get my second one. I've had my jetbook awhile now.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #157
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Palm V, 1999. I didn't begin reading primarily ebooks until devices came along with SD card slots and more memory, though. I loved reading on my Tapwave Zodiac , although I've since moved on to Android.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #158
GShock
GShock began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post

My first portable ebook reader was a Sony Clié PEGA-T615C. It wasn't my first Palm OS device, but it was the first one to have a backlight, so I could read in the dark without disturbing my bedmate. Here's my timeline:

Sony Clie PEGA-T615C (2002-03)
palmOne Tungsten E (2003-04)
Sony Clie PEGA-TG50 (2004-05)
palmOne Treo 600 (2005-07)
palmOne Tungsten X (2005-07)
palm Treo 680 Copper (2007-09)
iPhone 2G 8GB (2009)
iPhone 3G 8GB (2009 - present)

And that doesn't include any of the 6 e-Ink devices I tried out in the last 3 months!

Yeah, I'm just as much of a gadget freak as a reader
This remind me with my ebook reading timeline too...I start with PC, then sony clie SJ-22, TJ-35, Tungsten E, Tungsten T3, Tungsten W, Compaq IPAQ, TH55, SE K800i, Blackberry 7920, Iphone 3g, SmartQ7.....and finally..my K3 on the way....
GShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #159
Steve Anderson
Addict
Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve Anderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, laptop, more
Like some of you, I started on a Palm V or Vx about '99 or '00. After that died, I didn't get back to e-reading till my first iPhone a couple years ago. Getting books wirelessly now makes it all easier, of course.

Last edited by Steve Anderson; 09-18-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #160
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
First was the PC; long time ago.
Then PRS-505 comes to Germany.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #161
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
iPad!
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #162
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Casio Zoomer, ca 1993, which could read text files and some PDFs. It wasn't even my first PDA, if you count those credit-card-sized gizmos that kept addresses and phone numbers (I had several), but it was the first that had much more than basic organizer functions in it. I was introduced to ebooks through the Zoomer.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #163
threebeers
threebeers began at the beginning.

Device: Palm, Sony, Nook, Literati
A Sony Clie SJ-20. The only black and white Palm with a hi-res screen, so far as I know. Nice screen indoors or out, battery lasted forever. Hacked the fonts and read Mobipocket feeds on it all the time.
threebeers is offline   Reply With Quote