Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Barnes and Noble iPad specific app released

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/b...e-go-hands-on/

"eReader is actually quite flexible -- you can customize the page, text, highlight, and link colors any which way you want (we made some hideous combinations), and there are some nice presets themes as well, ranging from "The Printed Page" to an inverted setting called "Night Light." You can also set books to display using the publisher's settings, and there are the usual line spacing and justification options as well."
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unfortunately, it appears there's no way to transfer pre-existing eReader content purchased from eReader or Fictionwise, or created yourself, to this new higher-resolution iPad reader (the way you could in the iPhone version).

FAIL.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
dhiru
Connoisseur
dhiru began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, Irex iliad, sony prs950, kindle Dx, Ipad
is there any way to read epubs downloaded from calibre on B&N Reader?

thanks
dhiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Unfortunately, it appears there's no way to transfer pre-existing eReader content purchased from eReader or Fictionwise, or created yourself, to this new higher-resolution iPad reader (the way you could in the iPhone version).

FAIL.
However it is a pretty nice reader with access to the B&N store (unfortunately) through Safari with a huge selection of books, a few magazines and a few more newspapers. It has a dictionary, highlite, note and links to Google or Wikipedia. All in all, not too bad.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
However it is a pretty nice reader with access to the B&N store (unfortunately) through Safari with a huge selection of books, a few magazines and a few more newspapers. It has a dictionary, highlite, note and links to Google or Wikipedia. All in all, not too bad.
Looks like they put a lot of effort into it, which is promising. I want a quicker way to adjust brightness, without messing with "recipes." Easy sideloading would be a huge plus.

It's good to see that B&N is pushing ahead with apps for other companies' devices. I hope they add more and more.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 05-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I got it and tried it out. It has pros and cons.

The library view is fine with nice crisp pics. However, I can't figure out how to delete some of my older B&N books. Or some of the pre-loads, such as Laura Bush's book.

It lets you make themes of text and background of every color in the rainbow.

I very much dislike the landscape view. It is 2 tiny columns with a large empty space between. But I like the portrait mode. It is easy to use zero margins. All of the formatting is easy, as a matter of fact.

Overall, I like it and the ability to tap into the vast B&N bookstore.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oops, duplicate post.

Last edited by DixieGal; 05-27-2010 at 01:33 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
... it appears there's no way to transfer pre-existing eReader content purchased from eReader or Fictionwise, or created yourself, to this new higher-resolution iPad reader (the way you could in the iPhone version).

FAIL.
I keep looking for alternatives to iBooks, Kindle and Kobo - so I checked this out. I didn't have the issue you described - books downloaded from the Mac application (I used Sam Landstrom's free book "Metagame" as my test case) were added to my library. Books in my library could be accessed from the iPad.

There does not seem to be any syncing up of bookmarks or highlighting, though - but it sure looks as if an existing library could be accessed from the iPad. Could it be that older library formats don't work? Could the software or library be updated to fix the issue? Probably I don't understand the issue you are describing.

I wouldn't call this version 1.0 a "FAIL".

I have not tried (because I do not use it) Fictionwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I want a quicker way to adjust brightness, without messing with "recipes." Easy sideloading would be a huge plus.
Maggie, could not agree more! Sideloading and in-book brightness control would make the app much improved.

I am not too surprised at the lack of sideloading (no one else has it, afaik - save for iBooks, of course - and the PDF specific reader apps).

The lack of an in-book brightness control is a big gap in desired functionality. I can't see how they missed that use case - sure hope we see it soon with a free update.

Addressing that weakness with "themes" is not an acceptable solution at all, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

... I can't figure out how to delete some of my older B&N books. Or some of the pre-loads, such as Laura Bush's book.

I very much dislike the landscape view. It is 2 tiny columns with a large empty space between. But I like the portrait mode. It is easy to use zero margins. All of the formatting is easy, as a matter of fact.

Overall, I like it and the ability to tap into the vast B&N bookstore.
DixieGal, deleting the books has to happen in the library, which you access from Safari (I deleted books on my Mac's browser, confirmed they were gone later within the app - have not tried deleting books on the iPad Safari browser).

... and I like both views. I agree portrait is nicer. And I appreciate the margin control. And the access to B&N's library!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Agreed!

In-book brightness control, side-loading (access through the iTunes "App" tab - or in-browser uploads to the library would be ideal), in-app access to the store (similar to iBooks) would make this a rather nice reader app.

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Thank you all for the information about the B&N app for iPad. I've been waiting for it. I have already downloaded it and agree with much of what you all point out. For me, using Safari on iPad or my iMac isn't a problem, I don't mind choosing a theme either, but I do find myself constantly changing the brightness control when I'm using the Kindle app depending on the ambient lighting condition. For Kindle, I've pretty much settled on Sepia as easiest on my particular eyes. I hope they add an in app brightness control to the B&N app soon.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I suggest that those of us who want changes to the B&N app (such as a separate brightness setting) let the developers know. I called customer service for the best contact info and they said to fill out feedback here, and they will forward as needed:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/c...?cds2Pid=20703
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Great job Maggie. I'll do it right now!
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #12
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
DixieGal, deleting the books has to happen in the library, which you access from Safari (I deleted books on my Mac's browser, confirmed they were gone later within the app - have not tried deleting books on the iPad Safari browser).
To delete a book in the iPad application, open it, press the "i"/information icon and then press the "Delete from Ipad" button.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #13
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I very much dislike the landscape view. It is 2 tiny columns with a large empty space between.
I wonder if two column mode is a book-specific thing. I've tried four books in landscape-- just one column here. I don't like the one column landscape view. Just like the kindle app, one column is just too wide in landscape mode.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo View Post
To delete a book in the iPad application, open it, press the "i"/information icon and then press the "Delete from Ipad" button.
Flumbo, thanks for that!

But is there a way to delete it from the library so it does not clutter up your library view? (which is what I inferred that DixieGal wanted from her post). What you suggest just removes it from iPad memory, not the library - if you check your library, the book is still there.

-- Riq
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The biggest flaw/issue/bug with the iPad B&N app is that when you use your own custom theme/font, al the styles in the eBook such as italics and bold no longer show up. So you have to use the publisher setting and then you get simulated bold and italic. That is pretty annoying. There's no reason for this at all.

I did send a message to customer service. We'll see how long it takes B&N to fix this issue.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote