Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
20090123 snapshot

Another snapshot!

New stuff:

* New bookreader - CoolReader3. This one was available in stock firmware for V3, and is now ported to OpenInkpot by Buggins, the author. You can choose what reader to use by long-pressing the digit button in bookshelf.
* Simple image viewer.
* SD card is now mounted to /media/sd. Internal storage (separate partition) is mounted to /mnt/storage and available by default in bookshelf.
* It's possible to add fonts to the SD card: just put them to the fonts/ directory, and they will be picked up.

Problems:
* USB on v3 is still flaky

Documentation (please help to improve it):
* User's Guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/UsersGuide/ru
* Installation Guide: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/0.2/InstallationGuide/ru

Downloads: http://openinkpot.org/pub/snapshots/20090123/

Last edited by dottedmag; 01-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
I'll try it out tonight. Any changes to LocoPDF in this snapshot?
Advert
Old 01-23-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
New bookreader - CoolReader3. This one was available in stock firmware for V3, and is now ported to OpenInkpot by Buggins, the author. You can choose what reader to use by long-pressing the digit button in bookshelf.
This had me stumped for a while. If an ebook type is supported by CR3 (i.e. I think just for FB2, ePub, and RTF), then a long press of the digit for that ebook will allow you to select FBReader or CR3. A short press always brings up FBReader.

The attached images are 100 ppi scans (i.e. lower resolution than the actual screen), the 1st is FBReader and the 2nd CR3. Both are using Liberation Sans, but I like the bold option for FBReader. I really like the size of the CR3 menu items, the FBReader menus are too small for me.

These are from the live version, which seems a bit more fragile that the last live version but is still usable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_FBR_Mh.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	21976   Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP_CR3_Mh.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	21977  

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-23-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: CR3 supports ePub
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I really like the size of the CR3 menu items, the FBReader menus are too small for me.
I agree the CoolReader menus are nicer. They have a polished look. But what units does CoolReader use for the font sizes? For FBReader I'm using 10pt, but CoolReader has "29" and "33" and so on.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
But what units does CoolReader use for the font sizes? For FBReader I'm using 10pt, but CoolReader has "29" and "33" and so on.
I'm not sure that FBReader's font size is accurate, but it is closer than CR's. The device has 167 ppi, and I think CR may be assuming there are 72 ppi (i.e. 1 pt = 1 ppi). I've seen advice that the ppi be set to a multiple of 12 (i.e. 168 ppi rather than 167 ppi), but I don't know how much that matters.
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

"29" on the CoolReader seems to be close to "10pt" on the FBReader. I guess it doesn't matter what the units are, as long as you can find one you're comfortable with.

I've also found out that CoolReader can read .htm and .txt files as well as the .fb2, .epub and .rtf files that wallcraft mentioned. In fact, CoolReader does a better job with .txt files than FBReader: CoolReader is able to identify chapter headings and displays them centered in a larger font with a page break before the heading.

I've also found that CoolReader seems to retain different settings for different file types. For example, I can set all my .txt files to display with font size "29" and all my .rtf files to display with font size "33". With FBReader, if I choose "10pt" font size, all my ebooks with be displayed in "10pt", regardless of file type. I don't know if this is a good thing or not: I prefer "10pt" on all my ebooks, so I don't need separate settings by file type.

FBReader has a setting to change top, bottom, left and right margins. This feature seems to be lacking in CoolReader.

Overall, I think I'll stick with FBReader for most file types, but go with CoolReader for .txt files to get the chapter headings. It's good to have a choice.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Is there any description (FB2) for the "Turbo Mode" when reading a book? And why won't it stay on between books?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

I believe the "Turbo" mode pre-caches the next page so page turns are faster. It only works paging forward, though. Paging back does not pre-cache.

I don't know why it's not persistent from book to book.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
I believe, and LunohoD will correct me if I'm wrong, that turbo mode is a horrible horrible hack that should be ignored (and probably removed in upcoming versions). I believe that LunohoD just hasn't gotten around to getting rid of it.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #10
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
I believe, and LunohoD will correct me if I'm wrong, that turbo mode is a horrible horrible hack that should be ignored (and probably removed in upcoming versions). I believe that LunohoD just hasn't gotten around to getting rid of it.
Please, please, don't remove it!!. I always use it, and I see it as a great addition. Just leave it as it is, default off for every book, and let people decide if they want to use it. Only remove it if the machine can be damaged by it, but if it doesn't do any harm, why don't just leave it there?.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 AM   #11
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Cool

Yes, turbo mode is a terrible hack and it is too hard to make it work properly.

I won't remove it and I hope that jekhor won't purge the underlying kernel code.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
Tried installing it on my V3, went without a hitch. Starting up was nice and easy too and the interface is pretty good.
However, just switched off using the scripts from the main menu and I've not got a device that's not restarting again - just shows the red light when trying to startup. Pulling out the battery has no effect - will have reflash the thing.
How shaky is OI in general? I didn't expect a crash like this.

Apart from that, awesome job you've done, many thanks

Regards
Fake
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake51 View Post
Tried installing it on my V3, went without a hitch. Starting up was nice and easy too and the interface is pretty good.
However, just switched off using the scripts from the main menu and I've not got a device that's not restarting again - just shows the red light when trying to startup. Pulling out the battery has no effect - will have reflash the thing.
How shaky is OI in general? I didn't expect a crash like this.

Apart from that, awesome job you've done, many thanks

Regards
Fake
As just another OpenInkPot user, I can say that what you are seeing is not what you should be seeing with OpenInkPot. I only shut mine down once since loading OpenInkPot, so I just tried it again now. It works as expected. What you should be seeing is the normal Linux boot up status messages scrolling up the screen.

So now I have turned it off twice since loading OpenInkPot.
Other than that I just leave it on all the time since it consumes so little power when doing nothing that my battery is still indicating 100% since I charged it after loading OpenInkPot. It was 74% when I first loaded OpenInkPot, so I recharged it to see how long a full charge would last while using OpenInkPot as my reader.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
javimm
Connoisseur
javimm began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Agree completely with Dave. I don't turn it off neither. It consumes more power turning it off and on thatn leaving it on forever :-) .
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
Fake51
Enthusiast
Fake51 began at the beginning.

Device: LBook V3
I don't feel the need to switch it off either - but I do feel the need for it to not crash and need a reflash upon switching off and restarting
Was probably just my bad luck, will try again, see if it works better second time round.

Regards
Fake