Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-26-2017, 10:36 PM   #30526
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
How about a pressure air honk can? Or pretending they just called in a site of crime being investigated? Ask them where the abducted child is. Or pretending they just called %_your_number, but... in Sligo/Canberra/Newcastle? (feel free to be more creative here if you speak languages other than English) Have fun.
I do happen to have an air can (no, not to terrorize family members--well, not exactly)....but unfortunately, I'd blast other folks, too, here at the house. AND the fuzzballs, who would probably have heart failure(s).

But I like some of the other ideas...not as much as blasting them with an air horn, of course....

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #30527
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Low volume calls, like appointment reminders from our doctors, dentists, my Dad's alarm monitor, etc., all come through. Sadly, so do politician campaign calls.

I believe the system is designed to recognize numbers that are making a very, very high volume of calls. I believe they also look for calls that are spread across the country.

Anyway, we've had it for several years and never had a problem with missing a call from any legit caller.
That's very helpful--thanks!!! Do your legit callers have to press "1" to reach you? (We do, to call my SIL, that's why I'm asking)...

Hitch
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #30528
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
That's very helpful--thanks!!! Do your legit callers have to press "1" to reach you? (We do, to call my SIL, that's why I'm asking)...

Hitch
No. A number that's in the Spammer database gets disconnected, a number that's not in the database gets through.

The service requires that your telephone provider be able to provide simultaneous ringing at two locations. You set up your telephone to ring at your home and at their number. When a call comes in the NoMoRoBo computer checks the number of the caller in their database. If it's a Spammer they "pick up" and then "hang up" disconnecting the call. It usually takes one ring, so your home phone rings once. If you pick up after that one ring you just get dial tone.

If the calling number is not in their database they just let it keep ringing until you pick it up.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #30529
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
This review is a couple of years old, but it's still accurate.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492079,00.asp
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #30530
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
This review is a couple of years old, but it's still accurate.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492079,00.asp
Muchas gracias for the info and the link.

Hitch
Advert
Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #30531
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
All the boiler room operators I get have Filipino accents.

They come in waves, I'll get none for months, and then a maybe several a day for a week or two. Usually I just hang up, but if I'm minded I tell them in a few choice words what I think of them... in Tagalog... and they hang up
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:00 AM   #30532
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For the past year or so we've been getting a lot of calls trying to get us to switch energy supplier. For the last couple of months they often introduce themselves as something else, such as Business Platform. They are also starting to get argumentative when you say you aren't interested. Most of them withhold their number, but we can't block those because some of our customers and suppliers also withhold their numbers (one supplier recently changed that).

I can remember ten or twelve years ago I somehow got on a list used by companies trying to sell subscriptions. Several times a week I got mail with an offer and an already filled out form, which I only had to sign and send in, you didn't need to add a stamp because they would pay for that. After a while I send in the form, using a thick marker to write "NOT INTERESTED" on it, they would have to pay for the postage without having sold a subscription. The offers soon stopped coming.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:25 AM   #30533
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I routinely get calls from Microsoft telling me I have a virus on my computer and I just need to let them remotely access my computer and they will fix it for me......

S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #30534
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I had an electric seller come to my door recently.
2 major errors.
He asked me what my last electric bill was. I told him $50. He said I would pay $30 with them.
I asked him what their rate was he said 8 cents a kilowatt. Then I asked about the delivery fee. That is 3 cents. Quick math says $40 at least. Don't ask for total bill ask what we pay per kilowatt.
And no you cannot see my bill.

Then he told me that I would get all my electricity from wind power.
Yes, the electricity coming into my house would be 100% wind generated.
I asked him point blank how he could guarantee where my electricity came from since it would be coming through the same lines as my electricity now.
He hem-hawed around.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #30535
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I routinely get calls from Microsoft telling me I have a virus on my computer and I just need to let them remotely access my computer and they will fix it for me......

S
Mine all come from Windows not Microsoft.
Though they have started saying Windows for computers rather than just windows.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #30536
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Mine all come from Windows not Microsoft.
Though they have started saying Windows for computers rather than just windows.
To which you could respond "My computer doesn't have windows, there are fans and venting holes."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #30537
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
To which you could respond "My computer doesn't have windows, there are fans and venting holes."
One time, they just said windows so I asked what time will you be here to fix my kitchen window. Sometimes, it tries to close on its own.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #30538
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
All the boiler room operators I get have Filipino accents.

They come in waves, I'll get none for months, and then a maybe several a day for a week or two. Usually I just hang up, but if I'm minded I tell them in a few choice words what I think of them... in Tagalog... and they hang up
Sometimes is fun to string them along and see how long you can keep them from bothering someone else.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #30539
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
That's perfect. I'm giving that one to my mother in law. She gets scammer calls.

No work today for hubby. They are aiming for Monday for reopening the factory. Someone posted a video on Facebook on the fire.

Here's my rant

If there are big flames in the same room with you. You do not whip out your phone and take a video. I mean seriously why would you do that? Why take that risk. People do not think these days.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #30540
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amuse yourselves with the telemarketers if it makes you happy, but I point out:

1. Many of the people doing the illegal telemarketing know they are working for crooks, and they are OK with that.
2. They know their employers make it very hard to locate them so they are protected.
3. They have your phone number and likely know how to get you on every shady robodial list in the business.

Do you really want that kind of people angry at you?

Last edited by ApK; 07-27-2017 at 01:47 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness