Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #91
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My understanding is that its also based on the affiliate info so maybe capture that data too.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #92
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
I've tried with and without serial number and every affiliate I could find a mention of and I'm still only getting a link to 3.1.1.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #93
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Payne View Post
On Aura HD, I notice with FW 3.2.0 that when I bring the reader out of sleep, the entire screen momentarily flashes negative (white text on a black background) before resuming its normal appearance.
I get this on my Glo too. With 3.1.1 it didn't refresh the screen at all after sleep, so sometimes a ghost of the sleep screen was still visible after waking. In 3.2.0 it refreshes, but does this funny inverted screen thing too which is a bit irritating.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #94
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I get this on my Glo too. With 3.1.1 it didn't refresh the screen at all after sleep, so sometimes a ghost of the sleep screen was still visible after waking. In 3.2.0 it refreshes, but does this funny inverted screen thing too which is a bit irritating.
I was noticing that it also does this when going into sleep mode which does give a cleaner image on darker covers.

The 28%/28% brightness is still there.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #95
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
As for myself, I'm on the contrary very happy with the new advanced font settings. I've never managed to get such a sharp font before. I'm not bothered with jagged appearance of the font
I'm finding the opposite actually, it seems to be more blurry than before:

That's only in preview though, I haven't actually applied it yet.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #96
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Saving font adjustments

For those who have adjusted the advanced font settings before, you might want to save your current settings before trying the the new interface. The settings are stored in the "Kobo eReader.conf" file. Look in the "Reading" for lines like

Code:
readingFontSharpness\Georgia=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87\xbd\x88\x88\x89)
readingFontWeight\Georgia="@Variant(\0\0\0\x87=\xcc\xcc\xcd)"
There should be two lines for each font that has been adjusted. Putting these back in the config file after a change should restore the adjustment you had before.

Also, the new method still writes both lines.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #97
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
I'm finding the opposite actually, it seems to be more blurry than before:

That's only in preview though, I haven't actually applied it yet.
Pixel optimisation is a weird thing. The image on the right may actually look better on the screen at normal sizes.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #98
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=DNSB;2773348]Have you tried going to Settings => Accounts and signing into your Pocket account?

Regards,
David[/QUOTE

that sounds like a corrupt update. I had a similar issue with 3.1.1 when I did a factory reset. Only solution was to reset and restart and only after being downgraded to 2.9.9 (master reset) and then updating to 3.1.1 did it get resolved.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #99
bcij
bcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by unoprata View Post
Yeah, epub images zooming is still not working...
Wanted this feature as well...
How do I tell if a book is epub?

I have 2 books - both with images. I was able to zoom in on images on one and not the other before the update.

After the 3.2.0 update, I'm now able to zoom in on both. I don't connect my aura hd to my pc. I got the update via wifi.
bcij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #100
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You can tell from the Library view; it shows the format of the book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 PM   #101
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcij View Post
How do I tell if a book is epub?

I have 2 books - both with images. I was able to zoom in on images on one and not the other before the update.

After the 3.2.0 update, I'm now able to zoom in on both. I don't connect my aura hd to my pc. I got the update via wifi.
Take a look at the book's entry in the library view. If you see KOBO EPUB near the right hand edge, it's a .kepub.epub and opens with the ACCESS renderer, if you see EPUB, it's an .epub and opens with the ADOBE RMDSK renderer.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #102
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Pixel optimisation is a weird thing. The image on the right may actually look better on the screen at normal sizes.
It doesn't.

Personally I've never come across a font smoothing that I'd actually want to use and inevitably turn it off after a while. I find the high contrast of sharp edged text much preferable to the more rounded but fuzzier effect produced by smoothing/anti-aliasing/subpixel rendering etc.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #103
bcij
bcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of lightbcij is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Thanks PeterT and DNSB. I had Library view set to display covers instead of lists - which is why I couldn't tell the book type.

So both books are KOBO EPUBs. The one I had zoom issues prior to 3.2 with was a tech book - the images only occupied part of a page. The one that didn't have zoom issues had the images not sharing the page with text.

'Happy now that I can go back to using the AuraHD instead of the Arc to read the tech book.
bcij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #104
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
I find the high contrast of sharp edged text much preferable to the more rounded but fuzzier effect produced by smoothing/anti-aliasing/subpixel rendering etc.
I'm with you when it comes to aesthetics but I believe you're somewhat imprecise technically. ClearType in Windows is quite sharp but it does use subpixel rendering— granted, to a very different effect than, say, the Mac text rendering engine.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:52 AM   #105
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
As far as the Kobo Touch is concerned, the new firmware seemes to be not yet rolled out in Germany. I had to do a factory reset yesterday (once more ...), and what I got via the Kobo Desktop was Version 3.01 again.

Well, I'm not very keen on getting the new firmware installed; its advantages appear to be quite neglectable in realtion to the Touch, and - above all - I wouldn't like to get "my" - Sergey's - Launcher to become corrupted.

But it were an option, if there were any notification if the "not recognized nSD card issue" should be amended by the new firmware. In fact, firmware 3.0.1 runs pretty stable on my Touch (thanks to the developers so far!), but the nSD card will not be recognized at booting the shut-down reader - never. That's annoying.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote