Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not quite sure why people are referring to the Kindle's 3G as "free" - you pay seventy or eighty dollars for it, and usage is extremely limited (buying books/cloud books/Wikipedia/is there anything else?). If I ever feel the urge to buy a book on the go - and I haven't yet - I can just tether to my phone's 3G.
Granted, it's 60 Euros difference for the 3G version.
But, at least in Germany, the cheapest flatrate for my own SIM would be 10 Euros per month respectively 1 Euro per day.
Most users will have their readers for maybe 2 years.
If one uses the 3G option somewhat frequently, be it for buying books while on the road or for checking Wikipedia or whatever, Kindle's 3G option is the cheapest you can get.
But let me phrase it differently:
It's not about being free or not. It's about having the option (you're free to choose) for 3G and not having to worry about your own SIM.
To me, that's an enormous bonus. As long as they offer it, I always will go for the 3G version.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Buber
Buber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheeseBuber can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Thanks!

I will just do some more reading in developer section about tweaks, and then probably order online
New toys!!

Buber is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
I have both and the PW2 is an improvement over the PW1, but I really love reading on my Aura HD. The screen is very impressive and I really love the size. To me ,not bulky at all (have the Kobo Aura HD cover) and I read for hours without any discomfort.
The biggest sellers were the sharpness of eink and the size.
If you have both, then can you tell if the new PW's screen really has better contrast, and is generally better? I've seen a lot of photos comparing PW and PW2, but not PW2 and Aura HD. I'm on the fence on which one to buy.

I love the the idea of a bigger screen, and having more words in a line. I feel the 6'' screens are a tad small. But it kinda seems the Aura HD's fonts are a tad washed out compared to the PW. Like the lighting doesn't work as well as in the PW, and that the contrast is not as good.

What do you reckon?
Indigo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
For pure reading experience, Aura HD

And reading is what it's all about.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #20
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
If you have both, then can you tell if the new PW's screen really has better contrast, and is generally better? I've seen a lot of photos comparing PW and PW2, but not PW2 and Aura HD. I'm on the fence on which one to buy.

I love the the idea of a bigger screen, and having more words in a line. I feel the 6'' screens are a tad small. But it kinda seems the Aura HD's fonts are a tad washed out compared to the PW. Like the lighting doesn't work as well as in the PW, and that the contrast is not as good.

What do you reckon?
The font on the Aura HD can be sharpened and made darker(without hacking) thus improving contrast. The light on the Aura HD is very, very good. Many people complain that Kobo readers have wasted screen space. This is something to consider and might be an issue for you.

Last edited by llcj; 10-07-2013 at 01:01 PM.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Indigo121
Enthusiast
Indigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to beholdIndigo121 is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
Many people complain that Kobo readers have wasted screen space. This is something to consider and might be an issue for you.
Yes, I've seen that. I understand Kobo books have issues with extra lines between paragraphs. But apparently not on most non-Kobo epubs. Also the big header/footer. I saw that someone on these forums uploaded a patch for that to make them smaller.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
STIPPPOX
STIPPPOX began at the beginning.

Device: NONE
Quote:
- 90% of my books are on my computer. So quality of the website or amount of the books on the website is irrelevant.
- price might be a factor, but not very heavy one. I do read a lot (at least book a week), so I'm looking for quality device.

In other words - Kobo Aura (probably HD) or Kindle PW2? I want quality reading device. I'm leaning towards Aura HD, but since I never had it in my hands, I only rely on reviews.
I would post the same thread after 2 days Like you, I'm looking for quality device only for reading and consider the PW2 / Kobo Aura/ Kobo Aura HD/ a new Nook, coming in the next a few weeks. After some hours, spent in reading reviews and tests:

PW2- a bit unknown now, somebody says it's a huge improvement, other -not worth the money. With a sentence-good device, rare bugs, good screen, no ePub support, no card slot

Aura HD -best resolution and contrast, bigger screen, good light, many glitches and bugs

Aura-good quality, contrast and resolution=PW2, E Iink Pearl, ePub support, bugs supposed to be ironed out

a new model Nook e-reader-????
STIPPPOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
agree with everything llcj says about the Aura HD contrast/light. The PW2 is better than the PW1 but Aura is much better on both contrast and even light IMHO. As far as the spacing issues...to me the screen holds so much more (I usually use the smallest or next to smallest front), if there is a little more space at the top/bottom, I just don't notice it. It is truly a wonderful reading experience or 'pure reading experience' as mr_nihilism states.
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:08 AM   #24
Indigo121
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIPPPOX View Post
Aura-good quality, contrast and resolution=PW2, E Iink Pearl,
PW2 has the new Carta screen, the next generation of eink. Supposedly it has better contrast of all the above devices you mentioned because of this. Although judging from the pictures it looks like the improvement in contrast is mainly due to lighting, if indeed any.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure why people are referring to the Kindle's 3G as "free" - you pay seventy or eighty dollars for it, and usage is extremely limited (buying books/cloud books/Wikipedia/is there anything else?). If I ever feel the urge to buy a book on the go - and I haven't yet - I can just tether to my phone's 3G.
If I compare to tablets like iPad, the difference in prices between the 3G and the WiFi-only version typically is in the range of 50 to 80 Euros.
Okay, on tablets they often additionally integrate a GPS module into the 3G versions, so that's another 10 to 20 Euros.
But in general, the circa 50 Euros add up for the hardware alone.
But after this initial invest, on Kindles the 3G is free.

I find the 3G extremely useful.
It simply helps avoid a few unnecessary steps and sometimes roaming fees.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
There's no useful comparison to be had with tablets - because on tablets there is no limit on what the 3G can be used for. On the Kindles (apart from the old KK) it is extremely limited.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo121 View Post
Yes, I've seen that. I understand Kobo books have issues with extra lines between paragraphs. But apparently not on most non-Kobo epubs. Also the big header/footer. I saw that someone on these forums uploaded a patch for that to make them smaller.
Regarding the line spaces between paragraphs in Kobo books, some have it and some don't. Someone has said that it is mainly in Kobo's older publications.
I don't really pay much attention to it as I'm okay with both formats.

With Kobo books, you have the option to download the Kobo formatted book (Kepub) or a standard epub. These epubs are pretty much like epubs purchased elsewhere.

Last edited by llcj; 10-08-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #28
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
There's no useful comparison to be had with tablets - because on tablets there is no limit on what the 3G can be used for. On the Kindles (apart from the old KK) it is extremely limited.
But the 3G module is the same, thus are the costs.
And re. "limitation":
On Kindles usability is limited because of the refresh rate.
There appear to be some hacks, but out of the box one won't have much fun with a refresh rate in the range of one second.
But else I don't see any limitation? You can Google any website and surf whatever site you want, probably with the exception of flash-intensive content and the likes.
But I don't want to sell you anything...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But the 3G module is the same, thus are the costs.
And re. "limitation":
On Kindles usability is limited because of the refresh rate.
There appear to be some hacks, but out of the box one won't have much fun with a refresh rate in the range of one second.
But else I don't see any limitation? You can Google any website and surf whatever site you want, probably with the exception of flash-intensive content and the likes.
But I don't want to sell you anything...
I'm not talking about refresh rate. Paperwhite 3g is limited to Amazon and Wikipedia. For anything else you need to be on wifi.

Last edited by meeera; 10-08-2013 at 10:11 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I'm not talking about refresh rate. Paperwhite 3g is limited to Amazon and Wikipedia. For anything else you need to be on wifi.
Mine (Gen1, my Gen2 won't be here for another 4 weeks) is not!
I can Google Mobileread for example.
And then, via the hit in Google, I can browse to this site and surf around.
I'm not doing it, I only use 3G for surfing the Amazon bookstore and buying books on the road.
But the few times I tried, I could surf whatever website I wanted.

Tags
kobo aura; kindle pw2;