Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 1 60 28.71%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Touch 10 4.78%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 4 (non-touch) 9 4.31%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 3 (non-touch) 19 9.09%
Yes, upgrading from older unlisted Kindle 2 0.96%
Yes, upgrading from a non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, not enough improvements over Kindle Paperwhite 1 57 27.27%
No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, just not interested in the Paperwhite 2 7 3.35%
No, dammit I still want my turn buttons back! 8 3.83%
Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping 3 1.44%
Ordered but might return, depends on screen lighting improvements 8 3.83%
Undecided on whether to order 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Ordered mine the very first day it was announced.
Love the first generation, so it was a no brainer...

Just a comment:
"Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping" as one of the choices.
I absolutely hate this.
More and more consumers are doing this.
In my opinion, the idea behind this (being able to give gadgets back you've ordered over the web without having seen them) never was, ordering 5 comparable gadgets, testing them and sending 4 back.
Often I wonder, whether the unit I bought as a new one actually had been tested by someone else before, making it basically a pre-owned unit.
Nothing against you, it's a valid choice. But I simply don't like, when reviewers in Amazon proudly state "I've ordered it, but I'll definitely send it back. I just wanted to see it for myself"...
I've experienced this myself, when selling my iPhone4 via Amazon, after having upgraded to iPhone4S. The first buyer after 10 days stated, he'd like to give it back. No explanation. It was in perfect condition and absolutely flawless. Why would he want to give it back? Only explanation: Having one for 10 days for free. Meaning, I have to go through the trouble of selling it again. Never knowing what he did to it. Basically, I have to guarantee functionality to the next buyer, without being sure what might have happened to it in those 10 days. Why can't people make up their minds before? I understand, if someone gives back a damaged good of course. But a flawless one?...
Although I agree with you that someone shouldn't order something they never had any intent of keeping, but I was referring in the poll to something much less devious. The PW1 had terrible screens on some units. I think it is perfectly legit to order a PW2 to test it out and if it doesn't meet your standards to return it. After all, there are no B&M stores with the PW2 in stock yet, so you can't go look at them in person. And even if you could, there is no guarantee that the sealed PW2 you buy will match the floor display unit. If you get a bad unit, return it.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #47
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Although I agree with you that someone shouldn't order something they never had any intent of keeping, but I was referring in the poll to something much less devious. The PW1 had terrible screens on some units. I think it is perfectly legit to order a PW2 to test it out and if it doesn't meet your standards to return it. After all, there are no B&M stores with the PW2 in stock yet, so you can't go look at them in person. And even if you could, there is no guarantee that the sealed PW2 you buy will match the floor display unit. If you get a bad unit, return it.
I have pre ordered one as I want to see if the screen is better. If its not I will send it back, but I would never do this is buying a second hand item, only from Amazon. Unfortunately it's the only way to be able to test the screen out in proper conditions. You really can't test the lighting in a store, only at home in the dark.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #48
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
...I was referring in the poll to something much less devious. The PW1 had terrible screens on some units. I think it is perfectly legit to order a PW2 to test it out and if it doesn't meet your standards to return it...
I agree. But I would consider this, returning a damaged good.
Not "let's see, whether I like it". And the latter is the attitude I find in lots of reviews.
If someone orders 3 or even 5 similar products...

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
Mookie
Major Major
Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mookie can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle PW
Yes I am upgrading.

I have owned an e-ink reader since the first iRex and several other momentarily advanced devices. Mainstream ones have included multiple models by Sony, Nook and Kindle.

I bought the Paperwhite 1 on advanced order and really liked the form factor and the front light. BUT the light was uneven at the bottom and annoyed me every time I read until I could become immersed in reading.

So for that reason AND a desire to not feed the beast (Amazon) I moved to a Kobo Aura HD.

Super display. The best I have seen. (and you can turn the light off completely) Evenly lit and great font control. Bigger but not unwieldy. I loved it. But here's that BUT again.

The Kobo infrastructure was a PITA. The Web site is difficult to navigate and requires too much left/right and top/bottom scrolling. The social networking stuff is intrusive (you can turn it off). Also, when I side loaded books via Calibre my collections (bookshelves) depopulated.

Very sad because the reader itself is fantastic.

So I'm back in the Amazon ecosystem waiting for the PW2 to arrive and hoping the new light guides work as smoothly as did the Aura HD.

If not, as Mets fans say "there's always next year".
Mookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #50
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I am very tempted by the Kobo Aura, just from the pictures I think it looks a little nicer than the PW (although whether or not the flush screen will be better (or worse) in practise remains to be seen). Plus I like the more extensive font options available as standard on the Kobo.

However, the fact that they made an excellent bit of hardware with the Aura HD but some people still find it a PITA due to the software is really off-putting. And of course, the support of Amazon is very, very tempting too.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #51
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
Yes I am upgrading.

I have owned an e-ink reader since the first iRex and several other momentarily advanced devices. Mainstream ones have included multiple models by Sony, Nook and Kindle.

I bought the Paperwhite 1 on advanced order and really liked the form factor and the front light. BUT the light was uneven at the bottom and annoyed me every time I read until I could become immersed in reading.

So for that reason AND a desire to not feed the beast (Amazon) I moved to a Kobo Aura HD.

Super display. The best I have seen. (and you can turn the light off completely) Evenly lit and great font control. Bigger but not unwieldy. I loved it. But here's that BUT again.

The Kobo infrastructure was a PITA. The Web site is difficult to navigate and requires too much left/right and top/bottom scrolling. The social networking stuff is intrusive (you can turn it off). Also, when I side loaded books via Calibre my collections (bookshelves) depopulated.

Very sad because the reader itself is fantastic.

So I'm back in the Amazon ecosystem waiting for the PW2 to arrive and hoping the new light guides work as smoothly as did the Aura HD.

If not, as Mets fans say "there's always next year".
Interesting, how different customer experiences can be.
I've got my Aura HD about 4 weeks ago.
After the initial 2 or 3 days, I haven't touched it anymore.
I find it extremely ugly, reminds me of the design of mid 80s gadgets.
The display is fine, but I don't see any advantages to my Paperwhite.
The light can be turned off, but actually I find this a disadvantage.
When turning it on again, the light is off and I have to manually turn it on again.
It was okay, to buy it, given my library of circa 300 books from Kobo. But it definitely isn't one of my favorites.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Interesting, how different customer experiences can be.
I've got my Aura HD about 4 weeks ago.
After the initial 2 or 3 days, I haven't touched it anymore.
I find it extremely ugly, reminds me of the design of mid 80s gadgets.
The display is fine, but I don't see any advantages to my Paperwhite.
The light can be turned off, but actually I find this a disadvantage.
When turning it on again, the light is off and I have to manually turn it on again.
It was okay, to buy it, given my library of circa 300 books from Kobo. But it definitely isn't one of my favorites.
I so agree with you. Plus the Kobo SW Saga is simply catastrophic.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #53
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
I went from the original Nook to the PW. I am in love with it. Although I would really like to order the new one, there just doesn't seem to be enough improvements to justify the expense right now.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #54
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am still undecided. I want my books to look a certain way, and I want to use my favorite font. So until I find out if my formatting will be retained and I can sideload my font, I will wait.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #55
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
You can sideload your font on the PW1, and I think (and hope) that'll stay the same on the pw2.
Re Formatting, why doesn't it work on the PW for you for the time being ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #56
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I was going to wait, but I gave in and pre-ordered after reading some more articles and seeing some videos. Patience is not my strong point apparently, at least when it comes to new kindles. I figure I have a couple of weeks to cancel if I change my mind.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I was going to wait, but I gave in and pre-ordered after reading some more articles and seeing some videos. Patience is not my strong point apparently, at least when it comes to new kindles. I figure I have a couple of weeks to cancel if I change my mind.
Yep, me too! I keep wavering between cancelling and keeping the order, but I really don't need to decide for another two weeks.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #58
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Yep, me too! I keep wavering between cancelling and keeping the order, but I really don't need to decide for another two weeks.
That's my feeling too, although deep down I know I probably won't cancel! haha! Well, that is unless I spot something resembling a color blob on a new pic or video, then I'm cancelling!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #59
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You can sideload your font on the PW1, and I think (and hope) that'll stay the same on the pw2.
Re Formatting, why doesn't it work on the PW for you for the time being ?
You can side load a font with a little bit of hacking on the PW1. If the same little hack works for the PW2, I'll be happy. If not, I won't get one. I want to use my favorite font.

My formatting was not working correctly. I have just discovered that if I format my books to AZW3 instead of mobi, my formatting will be preserved. So now I am happy with the text display.

I'll still wait until I hear people here on MR talk and show pics about how much whiter and how much blacker, before I decide. If it is a huge improvement, then I may get rid of my PW1 and get a PW2 instead.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
That's my feeling too, although deep down I know I probably won't cancel! haha! Well, that is unless I spot something resembling a color blob on a new pic or video, then I'm cancelling!
I can't remember which review video(s) now, but I did see large shadow blobs in at least one video, and most of the early videos showed blueish screens. I haven't looked at any newer reviews yet. I'm hoping there will be some better reviews than the pathetic ones I saw early on that were conducted by folks who are not true eInk afficionados and thus don't have a clue as to what is important in reviewing them.