Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you upgrading to the new Kindle Paperwhite 2.
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Paperwhite 1 60 28.71%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle Touch 10 4.78%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 4 (non-touch) 9 4.31%
Yes, upgrading from Kindle 3 (non-touch) 19 9.09%
Yes, upgrading from older unlisted Kindle 2 0.96%
Yes, upgrading from a non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, not enough improvements over Kindle Paperwhite 1 57 27.27%
No, not enough improvements over my non-Amazon reader 8 3.83%
No, just not interested in the Paperwhite 2 7 3.35%
No, dammit I still want my turn buttons back! 8 3.83%
Ordered but might return, I want to see if it is worth keeping 3 1.44%
Ordered but might return, depends on screen lighting improvements 8 3.83%
Undecided on whether to order 21 10.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I would love to move on from PW1 to PW2, but, living in Brazil... I've payed more than three hundred dollars officially importing the Kindle Keyboard in its time, when it cost 119 dollars. It was my first Kindle and I didn't regret, but I'm not going to pay that taxes again.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #17
FanciFreez
Banned
FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FanciFreez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, KPW2, Nexus 7.2, iPad 4, Nook HD+
Yes.. I have been waiting for the new KPW since I bought the first one.. back in November 2012.. they finally made a update.. better late than never.. maybe I will give the original to Salvation Army and my Kobo Glo will probably go as well..
FanciFreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Jcas
Zealot
Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Jcas knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle PW2,Kindle DXG,iPhone 4
Yes pleased to say i am upgrading, i have the keyboard Kindle and the DX which i constantly use all the time, thought i would give the PW a try.
After much ordeal trying to pre order it and being told it wasn't available for pre order to Aus, i sent Amazon an email and yippee i was able to order one.
Jcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
Avalona
Enthusiast
Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avalona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Fire 8 (2020)
Well, I preordered it, so I guess I am. :P My Kindle Keyboard is still going strong, but having a secondary Kindle would be nice - plus it means I can slow my search for an ereader light. Already ordered a case from Tuff Luv for it, too.
Avalona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
I preordered it, but I haven't decided what I'm doing yet.

After going through 4 paperwhites and deciding to keep the original unit after all (because it was the least bad) last October, lighting improvement is the big issue for me.

If the light has improved significantly over my current Paperwhite, I will keep it (and likely give my PW1 to my sister for Christmas).

If it isn't much of an improvement, I think I will return it and keep the one I've got. It would be a hassle to upgrade since my current unit is hacked, customized, and skinned. Most of the other features will probably be added later through software, anyway.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #21
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've decided to switch from my K3/3G to a Paperwhite 2 wifi (PW2? KPW2?).

I use my tablet when I need to make book annotations, and I haven't needed the 3G since I finally caved and bought a smartphone. I was playing with the first gen Paperwhite while on layover at Heathrow, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. When I bought my K3, the touch models on the market just felt very sluggish; I figure that if the 2nd gen model is even a little bit better than the 1st gen, it's a must buy.

The K3 will be gifted/lent indefinitely to my dad. He's 76 years old and was a bit skeptical about the ebook thing until I pointed out that he'd be able to up the font size to whatever feels comfortable. I plan to keep the reader on my amazon account to allow us to share books (you can disable one click purchases, right? I'm planning to tell him to use the "gift" option if he wants to buy anything).
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #22
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
LOL. See you back in 2041.

I have a feeling that an ereader is a bit like a calculator: if you treat it well, it'll keep going forever.
I figure the KK battery has to give up at some point.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM   #23
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Sticking with the PW1 for now. The touchscreen is sensitive enough for me, the screen color is good, and the boost in CPU speed only matches what the Glo had in 2012. Otherwise it's the PW1 with some firmware changes and marketing recycling half of what they said about the PW1 with the PW2. The current refreshes don't bother me enough to switch to the Regal system the Aura uses, and I have an Aura HD with higher resolution and 4gb of storage (plus the 32gb micro SDHC).

Besides, I just got a decent PW this summer, so don't see the point in jumping to the new PW which all ears to be more of the same, with minor hardware changes. If it had more onboard storage or a higher resolution screen, then I may have done so.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I figure I'll wait and see what people think of the screen before deciding if I want to get one. The screens on the first gen one kinda made me a little leary of them. That said, I do vastly prefer having the page turn buttons, and I'm still pretty happy with my KK. I also really need to spent some time looking at the screen of one of the paperwhites when in the dark. One of the things I don't like about tablets is how much light they produce in the background compared to the reflected light on a KK with lighted case. I'm not sure how I'd feel over time about the lighting on the paperwhite. But at the very least, I'm waiting for the initial slew of them to get out and for people to handle them, there's absolutely no hurry for me.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I am staying with my Kinde Touch. As with the first Paperwhite, the only really important change will be the frontlit display, and I already rejected that one due to lack of the physical home button. (That should've been an option on the poll by the way. You have angered the gods. Beware.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I'm not upgrading.

The Kobo Aura is a much bigger upgrade to the KPW1 than the KPW2 because of the many font customizations. (I hope they fixed the bug in which sometimes half a page would be white, for some reason.)

As for now, I've decided to stick with the KPW1, and try a snap-in cover from GoogleProduct. (My cover if fine, but as it's a slot-in cover, the reader is always askew.) See what I like best in the end.
I have the Google Product cover. I think you will love it.

I agree with your sentiments about upgrading. The things that tempt me about the PW2 are the new screen tech and the page flip feature. But I like the whole Kobo Aura package much better, so I definitely want one of those. The PW2, I can wait for a sale or a refurb or something.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #27
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
I think I'm skipping this one and keep my PW, I hope that, they will update its firmware to get the new features which will be enough for me.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #28
Forbid
Probably Procrastinating
Forbid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Finally upgrading my Kindle 3G and getting the PW2. I really want to have a light built into the kindle because I do a large amount of my reading at night in bed after my SO has gone to sleep. The lighted cover just adds too much weight to the device to make it comfortable while also trying to get sleepy. I've wanted a PW since the first one came out, but I was scared off by the lighting issues. Finally making the leap and upgrading! Can't wait!
Forbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #29
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Kindle Scribe
I gave away my KK long ago and I will definitely buy this new PaperWhite. It's just awesome to me!
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #30
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I'm happy with my PW1. Unless there are unforeseen circumstances, I'll wait until, errr, PW3? PW4?
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote