Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #106
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
grooks..in the same boat as you....ordered the 16th (is it something about the 16th? the people who ordered the 18th seem to be getting theirs), charged the 19th and still no shipping notice.

Would really like to just cancel, but I was hoping since they have had my money since the 19th that I would get a shipping notice today....
I've decided that if I don't receive either the device or a shipping notification by Tuesday, I'm canceling my order. I've contacted Kobo twice and both times have been told my order is processing. If I can't purchase this device then I'll just wait to see what Sony releases in the fall.

I really wanted to give Kobo a try but maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #107
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
If your credit card has been charged then keep escalating the cancel request until you find someone who can do something about it.
Thank you for your advice. I have disputed with credit card company. I also concluded KOBO is not a company I'll trust.
Here is the short version. I on-line chatted again with KOBO customer service . My order was not found, with the information of invoice number, order number, my name, my phone number, my address. Then, I said I want to cancel my order and I insisted to chat with a supervisor; suddenly my order was found. I asked why it could not be found a few minutes ago, my chat was cut off. I tried on-line chat again, you guys can guess, my order was not found.
I called to all three phone numbers, no one can find my order; I decided to cancel it.
Someone called me back and assured me, my order will be shipped within another 15 days. And gave me another incident number.
I asked, each time I contacted KOBO, I got a new incident number, but nobody fellows up. Why do I need another incident number? Someone finally contacted me because of my cancellation. I asked, if my ereader needs service, how does it handle? Of course, I didn't get the answer; the purpose of KOBO calling me is to keep the ereader sale, and not prepared to answer anything else (or, authorized to answer anything else.)
I was willing to take firmware bugs. But "We don't have any answer, we don't know whether we will even answer your..., UNTIL we contact you." This is not the way to do anything.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #108
drew2720
Connoisseur
drew2720 began at the beginning.

Device: K2i, K3, DXG, PW2, Sony prs650/350,KoboMini/AuraHD
same here... I think I will cancel and then see what Amazon comes out with. I really like my Kobo Mini and was looking forward to a Kobo with a larger screen and high resolution, but the lack of customer service support and waiting a week to just get a shipping notice is just plain nuts!
drew2720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #109
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Thank you for your advice. I have disputed with credit card company. I also concluded KOBO is not a company I'll trust.
Here is the short version. I on-line chatted again with KOBO customer service . My order was not found, with the information of invoice number, order number, my name, my phone number, my address. Then, I said I want to cancel my order and I insisted to chat with a supervisor; suddenly my order was found. I asked why it could not be found a few minutes ago, my chat was cut off. I tried on-line chat again, you guys can guess, my order was not found.
I called to all three phone numbers, no one can find my order; I decided to cancel it.
Someone called me back and assured me, my order will be shipped within another 15 days. And gave me another incident number.
I asked, each time I contacted KOBO, I got a new incident number, but nobody fellows up. Why do I need another incident number? Someone finally contacted me because of my cancellation. I asked, if my ereader needs service, how does it handle? Of course, I didn't get the answer; the purpose of KOBO calling me is to keep the ereader sale, and not prepared to answer anything else (or, authorized to answer anything else.)
I was willing to take firmware bugs. But "We don't have any answer, we don't know whether we will even answer your..., UNTIL we contact you." This is not the way to do anything.
Sounds like they are pulling out every trick they can think of to keep the order active. At least I know what to expect if I do have to cancel the order.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #110
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I can not even cancel my order. They still can not find my order, even they gave me two order numbers.
KOBO is an awful company in my book.
I couldn't agree more. My order was "lost" -- twice. Ordered on the 16th. I cancelled by phone on the 24th and was told it would be passed to the appropriate level. Finally received an email concerning cancellation on the 24th. Now they have charged my credit card, which I am disputing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #111
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2720 View Post
same here... I think I will cancel and then see what Amazon comes out with. I really like my Kobo Mini and was looking forward to a Kobo with a larger screen and high resolution, but the lack of customer service support and waiting a week to just get a shipping notice is just plain nuts!
I am in the same position as you. I am happy with my Paperwhite and do enjoy the Mini. The thought of a slightly larger display, with as-good-or better resolution was very alluring. I will be looking forward to Amazon's offering. Kobo is absolutely dreadful to deal with.

And what good is a larger display when the bottom has such a large blank margin? I get more words to the page with my PW.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #112
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, four lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:45 AM   #113
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I know people complain about the bottom space, but I did a comparison of two pages set up exactly the same way on the Glo and the Aura. I found that the Aura displayed 4 more physical lines of text, but 8 additional lines worth of content (that is, four lines that were on the next page on the Glo appeared on the original page of the Aura).
I don't think people complaining are previous Glo users (at least not mostly), but people used to other readers that do a better job of utilizing their screen real estate to begin with and thinking how nice it would be if the Kobo did too. Coming from a Kindle (primarily), Sony and Bookeen Opus this is the first I've encountered anything like this.

Nor do I recall seeing the widows and orphans issue on any other devices (random pages with an inch and a half of blank space bugs me more than the default amount of space at the bottom).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #114
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I wish I had a camera. I am quite sure that the pages I used in this little experiment was on pages without excess white space or a widows and orphans issue. Kobo had fixed that at some point in the past, and now it is back. I am as sure as I can be that it is very high on their list of things to be fixed next. I am using kepubs (both native and those that the epub-kepub plugin create) with Georgia. So far that is a format/font combination that seems not to result in display problems. There may be others.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #115
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
It would be helpful if someone could do the same comparison between the Aura and Paperwhite. One of the comparison pictures I saw on another website review showed the PW displaying 2 MORE lines than the Aura, however the font, size, line height etc. wasn't mentioned so although they looked the same, I can't be 100% certain.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #116
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I thought I would throw my two cents in. I prefer how Kobo displays books. It is one of the reasons I bought a Kobo device rather than one of the competitors' devices. I find what some others prefer crowded and unreadable.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #117
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Taming, is that 4 extra lines on the original or 8? In the "Impressions" thread you say 8 (which is double..) big difference! So which is it? Just curious!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #118
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
It would be helpful if someone could do the same comparison between the Aura and Paperwhite. One of the comparison pictures I saw on another website review showed the PW displaying 2 MORE lines than the Aura, however the font, size, line height etc. wasn't mentioned so although they looked the same, I can't be 100% certain.
Yes, I would also like to see someone comparing Paperwhite and Aura. From what I have seen so far, Aura looks surprisingly off putting...And I so wanted front lit epub reader
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #119
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't think people complaining are previous Glo users (at least not mostly), but people used to other readers that do a better job of utilizing their screen real estate to begin with and thinking how nice it would be if the Kobo did too. Coming from a Kindle (primarily), Sony and Bookeen Opus this is the first I've encountered anything like this.

Nor do I recall seeing the widows and orphans issue on any other devices (random pages with an inch and a half of blank space bugs me more than the default amount of space at the bottom).
Same here. I'm coming from Sony, and I've never seen any of my Sony's hitch with the large white space thing. I'm reading a Feedbooks public domain title right now, and I'm sometimes seeing half the page blank.

On my own created epubs, I have always set widows and orphans to zero, those epubs are displaying nicely, though I would like to see a bit more space at the top of the screen and about a line less space at the bottom. I also wish the line spacing went lower.

Kobo has room for improvement, though I do really love the screen!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #120
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I've decided that I have had enough. I don't mind waiting, but I do mind kobo taking my money and then not offering anything in return. Charge when you ship, not before. I've called CS and cancelled my order.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote