Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Ther was a solar / USB 2x AA charger from Kodak - also appeared under some other names, cheaper - the solar charge is VERY slow (needs 28h for full), and it cannot charge & run at the same time (guess the same power converter is used for regulating the charging or the 5v output).
I have one, in the form of the "USB5000" - not sure if they can still be found

http://www.amazon.com/T-5000-Hybrid-.../dp/B003EW82ZG

Not sure if they ship to NZ, but if you want interchangeable AA cell device instead of a built-in LI-Ion, not sure how many other options there are.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
As a fellow hiker, I completely understand what you mean. I have a Goal Zero Guide 10 battery pack and, while heavier than I'd like, it does exactly what you want, plus it can charge those batteries too.

It outputs to USB from four AA or AAA NiMH rechargable batteries (it comes with AAs).
Thanks! A little more than I was thinking of spending, but it looks very nice, maybe I will treat myself:
http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/79/Gu...Adventure-Kit/
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Thanks for the suggestions: I have thought about a solar charger but I don't know how well it will work on a dark rainy day, which is mainly when I will need it.
I've done some research on this topic for winter for amateur radio repeater sites. Basically expect about 10% to 15% of power output on a cloudy day vs a sunny day. So a 30 watt solar panel would only put out 3 or 4 watts. In other words for you the weight involved in a hauling around a 30 watt solar panel just isn't worth it.

Now if you were canoeing for a month or two and needed to power satellite phone, etc, then that's different.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
I've done some research on this topic for winter for amateur radio repeater sites. Basically expect about 10% to 15% of power output on a cloudy day vs a sunny day. So a 30 watt solar panel would only put out 3 or 4 watts. In other words for you the weight involved in a hauling around a 30 watt solar panel just isn't worth it.
I wondered about that, thanks of the info.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #20
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
How long do you go hiking for that your ereader battery would run out?

I use my iPhone 4 for audiobooks while hiking, probably +8 hours a day, albeit with all connectivity off and the screen off, and I can get +7 days out of it easily. I'd expect an ebook reader to last for at least as long.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
How long do you go hiking for that your ereader battery would run out?

I use my iPhone 4 for audiobooks while hiking, probably +8 hours a day, albeit with all connectivity off and the screen off, and I can get +7 days out of it easily. I'd expect an ebook reader to last for at least as long.
A typical trip lasts 7-10 days, but I usually allow 2-3 days for bad weather, those days I spend most of the day reading.

I find my Glo lasts for about 8 hours of reading with WiFi turned off, so I expect to need to charge it 3-4 times per trip.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Welll... buy multiple Minis, load them all with the same books and when the battery dies in one, move to the next one
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
I find my Glo lasts for about 8 hours of reading with WiFi turned off
Gosh, shouldn't it last a couple of weeks?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #24
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
Indeed, my Touch probably lasted +25 hours or continuous reading at least.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
I think Kobo claim that it lasts one month reading 30min per day with WiFi off, which would mean 15 hours reading time. But I'm sure that figure must depend on which reading settings are used: increasing the font size for example will result in more frequent page turns and so greater power consumption. Even if I got the full 15 hour battery life claimed, I would still have to recharge it 1 or more times during a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide
Indeed, my Touch probably lasted +25 hours or continuous reading at least.
The Glo has a 60% larger screen to refresh and 25% faster processor than the touch, so I would expect a significantly shorter battery life goes with that.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-24-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The Glo has a 60% larger screen to refresh and 25% faster processor than the touch, so I would expect a significantly shorter battery life goes with that.
You're thinking the mini on screen size (except in resolution which I can't image would make much difference). Either way, my Glo using the light all the time gives me better battery life over my Touch (all other settings the same).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #27
stewacide
Groupie

Curious: has anyone opened up their Glo and noted the battery capacity?