Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #61
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Oh yeah...

and this post

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=8

thought I had done this recently
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #62
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
If I'm not mistaken, PageBot is a commercial product that uses OTG (?!) and they have it for K3 and KDX so this goal is reachable.
I'm not hardware savvy enough to make my way in here, but it'd have been very nice if this project could go on (for K3 and Touch devices).

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-19-2013 at 07:25 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #63
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no. They use switches TO PRESS the buttons.

Stone age.

EDIT: Hell I can do better than that

Heck, you could do that with technical lego...
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #64
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
no. They use switches TO PRESS the buttons.

Stone age.

EDIT: Hell I can do better than that

Heck, you could do that with technical lego...
What! And it's like 200$ for that stupid thing? Wtf...
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #65
twobob

http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/LEGO-Powe...Motor-Set-8293

30£

Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #66
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
What! And it's like 200$ for that stupid thing? Wtf...
No matter how you wrap it up -

knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #67
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I used to have a device with OTG. I bought the adapter, tried a few devices and made sure it worked, then found I really had no use for it. Was I going to carry around another cable and USB key? or hard drive and powered usb hub? why not just sync to a PC or whatever over the net? Kind of like having a DVD drive is nice sometimes, but streaming is soooo much easier it's hardly worth it.

My 2 cents, anyway. Good luck!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #68
erdosain9
erdosain9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.4.2 (keyboard)
So....... This thread dont go anywhere?? somebody knows something about this?
I have a K3, my Y otg cable, and a logitech keyboard..... there is a way??

Thanks to all.
erdosain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #69
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Apologies for necroing, but are there any noob-friendly instructions on how to safely do this? I love my Kindle 4 NT, but the tiny storage is a pain - I'd love to load files from a USB drive onto it, and/or transfer files to and from my phone. I have KUAL, which apparently might make loading this kernel reversible?

Christian Hoff's last blogpost mentions a to-do to make this kernel "usable", and a link ITT to supposed instructions on his blog didn't get archived. Though thankfully, the kernel's source code did get mirrored on github.

If someone could link me to such instructions or write some on here for posterity, it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 08-08-2023 at 07:54 AM.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 05:26 PM   #70
KaMyKaSii
KaMyKaSii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 (PQ94WIF)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiedolphin View Post
or transfer files to and from my phone.
But isn't it possible to do that on the Kindle 4? At least on my Paperwhite 4 (10th) it is possible to connect the Kindle and an Android phone together, you just need to ensure that the OTG cable is plugged into the phone.
KaMyKaSii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 06:25 PM   #71
barbiedolphin
barbiedolphin is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMyKaSii View Post
But isn't it possible to do that on the Kindle 4? At least on my Paperwhite 4 (10th) it is possible to connect the Kindle and an Android phone together, you just need to ensure that the OTG cable is plugged into the phone.
Apparently not (yours is like, 6 generations later) - since it apparently took this Christian Hoff dude a bunch of effort a decade ago to make this happen. Some other guy did it on a PW3. Either way, I've only tried one USB-C OTG cable (going into phone) and an assortment of MicroUSB cables (going into Kindle) so far, but nothing happens. Some earlier attempts even scrambled the USB port or something, making the Kindle partly unrecognizable on Windows for a while.

Here's a list I'm slowly assembling of what I supposedly have to do:
1. Install USBnet so I can SSH (since K4 apparently has no terminal emulator to issue commands with) or turn on USBnet from diags? I did the latter.
2. Back up kernel (do I use this or this? Both of them confuse me. Do I need to install Linux on the Kindle for the latter?)
3. Compile OTG kernel (instructions for doing this are apparently lost and I have no idea how to do it. I'll try following the boilerplate linux readme, but I expect some obscure old dependencies and compatibility issues will come to haunt me)
4. Use kexec to load OTG kernel whenever I have to use it (or maybe flash it permanently?)

Most of these steps seem like a huge can of worms, and I'd be glad to know if any of them are deprecated/unnecessary for the purposes of doing this. I also have no idea how convenient the UX would be in the end - how would you even switch OTG modes on this kernel? Can you make shortcuts for that, or do you have to type commands every time?

Edit: I enabled USBnet from the diags and installed Windows drivers for it, but I don't know how to SSH - I haven't found any clients which have straightforward options for the necessary subnets or tunneling or whatever. Do I have to stay inside diags mode while I try to SSH?

Last edited by barbiedolphin; 08-16-2023 at 06:13 AM.
barbiedolphin is offline   Reply With Quote