Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
PathfinderJohn
PathfinderJohn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
I am sure this is old ground...

I have a Sony PRS 700 that I would like to use to read a couple of dozen essays that were posted on the web as PDFs. Unfortunately they seem to be images and show up so small on the reader as to be unreadable. Are there any solutions for this problem? I can read them fine on my MacBook but don't want to lug that around.
PathfinderJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Perhaps this blog post reading PDFs on portables would provide some help.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
PathfinderJohn

Thanks for the link. It sounds like cropping is the only viable solution for me and that may not even be good enough. Now I need to explore the options for that.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You will have better luck in landscape mode. BRISS is a good cropper.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
PathfinderJohn

Thanks for the advice and, not that I doubt you, but can you explain in 25 words or less why landscape will be better?
Advert
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderJohn View Post
Thanks for the advice and, not that I doubt you, but can you explain in 25 words or less why landscape will be better?
Landscape view on the e-reader cuts the page in half--only the top half or bottom of the page shows up in the landscape view. (Try it on any of your other ebooks & it'll become obvious how that works.) It helps some with image scans, but they can still be hard to read.

If there's not too many of them, I'm willing to take a try at OCRing them for you, which would make them convertible to something that reflows.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderJohn View Post
Landscape is 30% wider than portrait thus it is easier to read. The bigger the better.

A second answer:
It divides the page in half permitting you to spread a full page of PDF over two pages of screen.

Both are under 25 words.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
PathfinderJohn

Now I am going to show how naive I am. I did not even know that my reader had a landscape mode! Of course it does! I also confused the "landscape" advice with the cropping step and that also threw me.

So here is where I am, thanks to all of you: I have done a trial crop on one of my essays using PDFPenPro (a great program for all sorts of PDF editing that has been my main tool for scanning and annotating all my paper records- unfortunately it is not free but the support is fantastic - these guys never sleep!). It does not have all the automatic features for cropping a whole document at one time but for starters it was fine.

The result is useable in landscape mode on my Sony(I can't imagine what other wonders I have yet to discover!) so I have at least one path to my summer reading. I could cut the pages in half to make them larger but eventually the image resolution will be the problem.

Thanks for the OCR offer but I may try the OCR feature in PDFPenPro if I find I can't read what I have.

I may actually start using my reader again!

Now all I have to do is figure out why the Sony library software seem to hang up synchronizing the files I load on the reader using Calibre.