Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Kindle web browser - what content available outside UK/USA

Can you access any other websites other than Wikipedia or the Kindle store outside the UK and USA?

I'm thinking of getting a kindle but I live in Europe and I don't think the 3G will be worth the extra money if you can only access Wiki and Amazon.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
emmad
Enthusiast
emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emmad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle WiFi
I use it for checking my email and if I have an auction on Trademe (kinda a NZ EBay). Access via free wifi networks Must say I only have the wifi and have found it is perfectly suitable for my needs. Have a heap of unread books so not likely to need one downloaded in an emergency. Also the number of free wifi networks is increasing all the time.
emmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
phili
Zealot
phili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-booksphili has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DXG
I live in Germany and I have no acces to other web content except Kindle Store and Wikipedia.
phili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Thanks everybody. It seems the wi-fi is the way to go then.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You might wait for more replies. I _THINK_ I have read that folks have used the 3g for checking email and other browsing but it may be country dependent as it sounds as if Germany is limited.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
Here in Bulgaria (via MTel 3G network) I have access to everything. I am using Kindle 2 with Intl. 3G bought in the UK at 07.2010.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not a question of where you are, but the country in which your Kindle is registered. Eg, my Kindle is registered in the UK, and I've used it for full web access in France, Germany, and the Netherlands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
polomint
[Polo]
polomint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I have full web access using 3g here in the UK, well, except for no flash stuff,
polomint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phili View Post
I live in Germany and I have no acces to other web content except Kindle Store and Wikipedia.
Confirm this. 3G is worthless in outside US/UK.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
aproudlove
Enthusiast
aproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litteraproudlove doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Hi, I only have the Wifi version of the Kindle 3 but I was kicking myself a bit for not buying the 3G. Based on what you're all saying though if I understand you correctly, in some countries the 3G version is locked to those two specific sites mentioned? Or that you have to pay for the 3G if you browse?

Thanks
aproudlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Confirm this. 3G is worthless in outside US/UK.
It's not really worthless, is it? Did you buy your 3G Kindle to surf the web? I didn't - it's hopeless for that. I bought it to be able to easily buy books wirelessly, and 3G works very well for that almost everywhere.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #12
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
So... when you have a Kindle registered in the UK, you have 3G access in a country like Holland, but if you have one registered in Holland (like me), you don't have access in Holland!
Hardly seems fair... ;-/
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
Dallista
Connoisseur
Dallista doesn't litterDallista doesn't litter

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by aproudlove View Post
if I understand you correctly, in some countries the 3G version is locked to those two specific sites mentioned?
That is correct. In countries where you do have access to all sites, it's all free, however.
Dallista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
So... when you have a Kindle registered in the UK, you have 3G access in a country like Holland, but if you have one registered in Holland (like me), you don't have access in Holland!
Hardly seems fair... ;-/
Yeah. It is pretty stupid and also confusing.

Amazon don't appear to list what countries get full web access and what countries get the restricted Wikipedia + Kindle Store only access so you end up having to try it yourself or looking for other people who have tried it. The extra $2 delivery fee is also dependant on country as well.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallista View Post
Hardly seems fair... ;-/
It seems to be related to the countries in which Amazon have some sort of deal with a local telecoms operator, and the good news is that unrestricted use is expanding with time. We were restricted in the UK until the middle of last year, but now we have unrestricted access, so there is hope for the future.