Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #181
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
At the moment, no. There has been some discussion about the feature; but, the fine folks that make the forum software have not implemented this feature yet. (And no, there is not a timeline that I know of for when, if ever, they might include it.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #182
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
But you can't give someone karma twice for the same post -- the software will tell you that you've already done it once and stop you doing it again.
So, if you're not sure whether you've blessed someone with karma, you can just experiment.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #183
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You also have to give karma to (I believe) four other people before you can give to a person a second time (and for a different post.) You are also limited to giving 10 karmas in a 24 hour period. (No matter how much or how little you give each person from your total available for each post.)
Old 11-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #184
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Aaai Caramba! El Karma di Cornholio!
Lol!

(Beavis and Butthead humor)

Anyways, is it required to give Karma in order to receive a higher score?...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #185
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
no. there are no requirements at all concerning karma ; you are not required to give it if you don't want to. if you do give it, you're not required to leave a message (although pesronally that's what i like the most about karma). but since it's a nice way to say "thank you" to someone i think most people like to use the karma system.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #186
RWood
Technogeezer

Some give but never receive, some others receive but never give. Most give and receive.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #187
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
give carma, carmen, whoever, give it often, give all you can
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:12 PM   #188
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
why are we limited to 10 a day??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 PM   #189
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
why are we limited to 10 a day???...
Well, you see, doughnuts are very high in both calories and fat, and more than 10 a day is likely to have a seriously negative impact on your health. Now, some might say that this is because the gods are total bastards, but me - being more of your typical believer in an atheistic, deterministic, absurdist universe - well I think it's because the universe is a total bastard.

Watch your weight, and watch your wait, Uncie Duke. As Scarlett said, "tomorrow is another doughnut", and in the dulcet tones of Annie, "the sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be doughnuts", and to quote the famous Og Mandino , "Remember that you will only find tomorrow on the calendars of fools, but you'll always find doughnuts on their menus too". I may have modified these a little, but you get the hole idea, yeah?

Cheers,
Marc ("There's a hole in my doughnut, dear Liza, dear Liza...")
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #190
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Cheers,
Marc ("There's a hole in my doughnut, dear Liza, dear Liza...")

So plug it dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry, so plug it ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #191
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDuke View Post
why are we limited to 10 a day??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
Well, any more than that could allow a meta-karmic critical mass to form, unbalancing the quantum philotes which form the underlying structural integrity of space and time, possibly even opening a rift in the very nature of reality and sucking all the donuts out of the world. This would of course result in mass suicides as billions realized there were no more donuts.

You wouldn't want that on your conscience would you?

As far as I know, it's just the initial default setting in the forum software, and it's worked pretty well so it's never been changed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #192
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Hi,

I'm not really new to this forum. But I have not had a chance to ask this question before. I did plan on asking when I first started posting but I got busy and hadn't posted for a while.

But I am back....for a while..until I leave again. I travel a lot.

Anyhoo!! What exactly is 'karma'? I really don't understand it. I am on another forum (for travelers) and there is nothing like this.

I read the first post and I am still in the dark. Why do you give karma? What does it mean? Is it just to recongnize helpfulness? If it is, that's a good thing.

I apologise if I appear 'dense' but I would like to understand it more. There are quite a few people here I would give a 'thank you' karma to daily. If that's what it's for.

Any help would be appreciated.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #193
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWoman View Post
Anyhoo!! What exactly is 'karma'? I really don't understand it. I am on another forum (for travelers) and there is nothing like this.

I read the first post and I am still in the dark. Why do you give karma? What does it mean? Is it just to recongnize helpfulness? If it is, that's a good thing.
yep, that's it : you give karma to someone to show your appreciation. that's all ! "dial-a-karma" lets you give a little or a lot, depending on how appreciative you are. you can leave a message too that only the recipient can see. and, if you hover over the blue karma meter under the name of the poster, you can see their karma fortune. Teh Karma Knows All.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 PM   #194
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yep, that's it : you give karma to someone to show your appreciation. that's all ! "dial-a-karma" lets you give a little or a lot, depending on how appreciative you are. you can leave a message too that only the recipient can see. and, if you hover over the blue karma meter under the name of the poster, you can see their karma fortune. Teh Karma Knows All.
Thank you very much for the very quick reply.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:13 PM   #195
zelda_pinwheel

you are welcome.

i forgot to mention, you can also see who gave you karma : click on your "user cp" (top left, in the blue menu bar) and scroll down to where it says "Latest Reputation Received". there's a link to the post that got karma-ed, the karma giver's name, and a message (if they left one). fun stuff. personally, the messages and the fortunes are my favorite parts.

Tags
focking, lefty