Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #26206
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Finished "Oath of Swords", by David Weber; the first book in the "War God" fantasy series. Baen description:

David Weber's best known for his military SF, of course, but I must say I was very pleasantly surprised by this fantasy novel of his. Truly excellent, and highly recommended. Although it's the first book in a series, it can be read as a completely standalone novel. Really very, very good indeed. It's available from the Baen Free Library.

The paid-for version of the book, which is what I read, also contains a (long) novella called "Sword Brother", set in the same universe, which was also very enjoyable. This isn't included in the version of the book that's in the Free Library.
I confess, I read the first one quite a while ago. And then tried to read later books in the series and somehow abandoned them. Not sure if it was conjunctural or if the later books just weren't up to the first. Though I admit, I only gave the first 3 stars.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #26207
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I confess, I read the first one quite a while ago. And then tried to read later books in the series and somehow abandoned them. Not sure if it was conjunctural or if the later books just weren't up to the first. Though I admit, I only gave the first 3 stars.
Oh well, this forum would be very boring if we all liked exactly the same books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #26208
Barrister1
Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barrister1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Currently reading 1900: Or; The Last President. .99 on Amazon.
Barrister1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:44 PM   #26209
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh well, this forum would be very boring if we all liked exactly the same books .
True! And while we often like similar books, we do vary on fantasy I've noticed over time. As I said, though, it might just have been where I was at when I read that first one. I have periods of reader's ennui where nothing seems to get higher than 3 stars, and it's usually not the books, but the reader.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #26210
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just started The Case of the Careless Kitten by Erle Stanley Gardner. This Perry Mason wasn't available in the Kindle store, so I bought a used paperback copy. I'm having trouble adjusting the font.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #26211
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just started The Case of the Careless Kitten by Erle Stanley Gardner. This Perry Mason wasn't available in the Kindle store, so I bought a used paperback copy. I'm having trouble adjusting the font.
I hate it when publisher's lock settings like that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 PM   #26212
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The pop-up dictionary is bad too. It works only no percent of the time.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:16 AM   #26213
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The pop-up dictionary is bad too. It works only no percent of the time.
That's probably due to the awful wi-fi connectivity. That hardware's notorious for having inadequate antennas.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #26214
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly and it was a typically good Connelly book. Interesting, this was the first book by him that had a female protagonist and I think he did a very good job especially the last half of the book where things happen you didn't see coming. I'd give it four stars.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #26215
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Just finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly and it was a typically good Connelly book. Interesting, this was the first book by him that had a female protagonist and I think he did a very good job especially the last half of the book where things happen you didn't see coming. I'd give it four stars.
I've got this recommended at my local library. I was hoping to listen to it as an Audible book, but the reviews of the narrator have been abysmal. Sigh.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #26216
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Finished "Reflex", by Dick Francis. Philip Nore is a steeplechase jockey with a passion for photography which helps him unravel a mysterious web of intrigue, blackmail and murder following the death of a ruthless racecourse photographer. Excellent. One of the best in the series so far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #26217
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished "Reflex", by Dick Francis. Philip Nore is a steeplechase jockey with a passion for photography which helps him unravel a mysterious web of intrigue, blackmail and murder following the death of a ruthless racecourse photographer. Excellent. One of the best in the series so far.
I'm so looking forward to re-reading these, primarily as audio books. Waiting on my new waterproof swim device so I can sync properly between the pool, the car, and my phone. For now, only listening in the pool because my old iPod doesn't sync. And hoping that the case lasts until the new device gets here.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #26218
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Now on to a re-read (via audio) of Dan Simmons' Hyperion and Kameron Hurley's The Stars are Legion on my Kobo.
Finished Kameron Hurley's The Stars are Legion yesterday. Not sure how I felt about the ending. The world building was good, but ultimately left me with more questions than answers. I knew the book was going to be gory, but I wish it had served more purpose.

Now on to a translation of Seicho Matsumoto's Inspector Imanishi Investigates. Still listening to Hyperion.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 AM   #26219
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Starting The Nix, an acclaimed book from 2016 and really liking it so far. I plan on working my way over the Booker Prize long list books as well before the winner is announced in mid October
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #26220
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Void Moon has a female lead character.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote