Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
raindog308
raindog308 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best ereader for graphically intense PDFs?

I have a ton of PDFs, and they are most roleplaying game books. They are generally in the 30-50MB range, and full of color graphics, charts, tables, column layouts, etc. They're not DRM'd (many are watermarked, but that's just a display, not an encryption).

I've been thinking about getting an ereader...but the reviews I've seen on things like the Kindle and Nook generally are not favorable for their support of PDF, particularly for more complicated files.

Any recommendations?

I know that the Kindle and Nook both have PC versions available...would trying out a few PDF conversions on the PC version be a fair test of how the device itself would perform?
raindog308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
iPad or one of the upcoming Android tablets. PDFs are just not a good match for the current e-ink readers.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Your main concern is screen (and page) size. For the purpose, think of PDFs as a collection of images, one per page. Now, how do you want that displayed in a 6-inch screen? It can be scaled down to fit the screen, but since the original PDF is probably designed for a page of about A4 (letter) size, the text will very likely be too small to read. Or you can display just a piece of the page in the screen and move around, but note that e-ink is not good for scrolling: it takes 0.5-1 second to redraw the screen.

If the PDFs are designed for a 6-inch page, you can read it comfortably in any current ebook reader, but I don't think that's the case
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I carry a large number of rpg books on my Kindle DX and generally have been pretty happy about it. I have run across a few books that did not display well, but they are more the exception than the rule. Drivethrurpg.com has downloadable samples for many of the books they sell and you can usually gauge how well the full file will look/work on the KDX with them. I loved having my KDX at GenCon the last couple of years, it was nice to be able to carry it and a note pad, rather than trying to carry a stack of rpg books.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
You should maybe have a look at the iPad, the (upcoming, I think it's supposed to ship this month) Pocketbook 902 / 903, the large screen Pixelar MReader, and the upcoming Sony PRS-950 or the (now being sold) Sony PRS-650 if you really want a smaller, more portable device.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert