Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Wow! Yesterday I posted on the Overdrive blog about how much I disliked this new redesign. Got an email response from someone in the PR/Media Relations group!

Downside is, I can't seem to find my comment any more. Either I've forgotten which blog post I posted it to (possible, possible) or they've deleted it so readers of their blog don't SEE the negative comments.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #32
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
If you have a youtube account, you can leave a comment there, as well:

OverDrive Selling Their Redesign on Youtube
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #33
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Wow! Yesterday I posted on the Overdrive blog about how much I disliked this new redesign. Got an email response from someone in the PR/Media Relations group!
What did they say?

In the video, they said that the goal is fewer clicks (and they talked about "one click borrowing" while clicking twice! ha ha). But it does seem that with less information presented on the list pages, it takes more clicks to get information. It is odd that the thumbnail is taking precedence over everything else, and also the thumbnails are so squished together. Why not add another line between rows, and then there would be room for the whole book title?

The video shows filters after a search, but I guess they haven't implemented that yet, because I don't see it when I do a search. I hope the filters let me check off "Adobe epub" and "open epub" at the same time. It has always bugged me that I can search for one or the other, but not both. I just want to see epubs! I also hope that filters appear on the "recently added" view.

The dark gray/light gray book cover icons in the upper right (to indicate if a book is available for checkout or not) are WAY too subtle. And I have very good vision! And why does the flag icon show a state for wishlist, but not for on hold?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Looks to me its Not for the eBook Reader BUT Better for those of us having Trouble Seeing the tiny Thumbnails! I hope the 2 libraries I use go with the New Format! My Tired old eyes will appreciate it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #35
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Katie, I initially though so as well, but then I realized that even though the images are larger, you can not read what the book titles are on them, because they are very blurry. Because they are so big, they also cover up the book titles, which are spelled out below them.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #36
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
What did they say?
The ubiquitous "thanks for your comment" and a note that my comments have been forwarded to the development team, who've replied they've made a few tweaks.

The tweaks listed were:
  • additional formats in the Advanced Search (+1)
  • not having the available formats "drop-down" collapsed automatically (for certain types of computers) on the details page (+1)
  • "other tweaks"

It's still so many more clicks than it used to be. And really, not every prefers a cover list! I like the thumbnails for a general idea of the genre, but I'd rather see the title and author in a clear font (that can be tweaked from the browser, if desired).
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I can't log in to Brooklyn Digital Library at all right now, all I get is
the following message -
The account information you entered is not valid.

Details: There was an error connecting to the library authentication server. Please contact your library for assistance. (Details: Failed HTTP Request to Library's ILS server.)

Duh.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #38
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I'm getting the same error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
the following message -

Details: There was an error connecting to the library authentication server. Please contact your library for assistance. (Details: Failed HTTP Request to Library's ILS server.)

Duh.
dandelioncottage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
well the upshot from all that for me is I now I have to go to Prince George's County (they have the redesign) to pick up my library card...then I can complain! Also PGC libraries usually have good collections and availability.

At PGC, it looks like the filtering and browsing is actually improved (still not awesome, but *better*), but loading so many pages to find basic book info is annoying to the max.

ETA: Make that improved, if it actually WORKED. The filtering seems to work but sorting does not.

Last edited by Joykins; 12-08-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #40
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel
the following message -

Duh.
Darn it, I get the same error and, what's worse, Fairfax was giving me the same error a few days ago. They still have the old look, but this could be a sign that FF is switching over as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #41
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Katie, I initially though so as well, but then I realized that even though the images are larger, you can not read what the book titles are on them, because they are very blurry. Because they are so big, they also cover up the book titles, which are spelled out below them.
I see them as Big & Clear. & I have my computer set for Extra Large!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #42
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I see them as Big & Clear. & I have my computer set for Extra Large!
Oh, I use an iPad for surfing, maybe that's why.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #43
xendula
eBookworm

Can I just say that after being on the waiting list for 3 weeks for the second book in a series, and daily obsessing and checking the status of "my" book, Brooklyn finally notified me by email that it is now available and that I have 3 days to check it out, and I still can't log in. Grrrrr.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #44
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
I hate the redesign. You can't see the full text of all authors and titles in a search. I'd much rather just see a text list.

What I do like a lot though, is that you can now search only for items recently added to the site.

Oh, and I also get the error when trying to log in.

Last edited by Dan23; 12-09-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #45
FizzyWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
What I do like a lot though, is that you can now search only for items recently added to the site.
It's always been possible to do that from the Advanced Search. Perhaps you mean from the Home Page?