Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
That error I have had with Amazon purchased content. It has required me to just close the ebook on the Kindle, re-open it and then sync. For me the issue generally comes about if the ebook is open on my Kindle and I read on my ipod, sync then go to the Kindle and tell it to sync.

So perhaps it takes a min or two for Amazon to update the furthest page read??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u
I tried this a few times with no luck. Have I missed a step?
Hmmm... not sure.
It's been a while since I've used the feature, so I tried it all again just to make sure I wasn't handing out bum advice... and it's still working for me. I took a non-Amazon version of Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice, converted it to mobi and made the 113 and 501 changes with Mobi2Mobi-Gui (I normally use the command-line version on Linux, so I wanted to make sure that the gui version on Windows wasn't doing things differently). I plopped the file in K4PC and on my K2, synced both devices, then changed to a later location (on the K2) and synced. Then I opened K4PC and opened the book and it immediately asked if I wanted go the the location that I had read to on my K2.

I also tested it going the other way... advancing the location on K4PC, syncing, and reopening the book on my K2 and syncing to furthest page read. It asked me if I wanted to jump to the location from K4PC.

I'm using a K2 and K4PC ver. 1.3.0 (30884)
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It hours later and it still won't sync. The book has been opened and closed multiple times on K4PC and on the K3.

I don't need to sync often since I only read on my Kindles but the few times I have had to use it with my iPod Touch (with my official Kindle books), there hasn't been a problem. Maybe this book is just weird or I need to make more changes to the metadata.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

I'm using a K2 and K4PC ver. 1.3.0 (30884)
The upgrade to K4PC was to v. 1.3.0. If it matters, the original format was an ePub from Fictionwise converted via Calibre.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I just thought of something. I saved the converted book as .mobi instead of .azw. I'm going to make the change and try again.

EDIT: Nope that didn't work either. Must be this book. I'll try different one tomorrow.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-27-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Interesting Observations

1 - While both my K3 and K4PC had the converted version of TUHHGTG, I tired to download the Kindle version of the book to my K3 (don't ask me why I bought 2 formats of the same book ). It would not download and I could not find it in my K3 archives. The K3 believed I had the Kindle version already.

2 - I deleted the converted version from my K3 and downloaded the Kindle version and tried to sync again with K4PC. No real surprise, it did not work.

3 - I decided to load the converted version onto my K2, to see if the software made a difference. It did... sort of. My K2 converted book tried to sync with the K3 Kindle book (forget about K4PC) and it did BUT it did not sync to the correct location... sort of.

It turns out the number of locations are different between the versions. So K2 with the converted book has 16,295 locations and K3 has 17,124 locations. The location I was trying to sync to was the Forward at location 113-19 on K3. The closest I could get on K2 was location 113-33 but is was mid-way through the TOC.

What does all of this mean? I don't know, I just found it interesting.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What does all of this mean? I don't know, I just found it interesting.
I think it means... don't go trying to sync non-Amazon content when your Amazon archive has that content in it already.

Seriously, though... I'd test it on books that you don't have Kindle versions of already. That way, it doesn't exist in your Amazon archive... and you won't potentially be mixing and matching different versions of the ebook file.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
You have to sideload the books. If you send it via Whispernet then Amazon strips the metadata that you added to allow syncing.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 12-28-2010 at 09:10 AM.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:00 AM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
You have to sideload the books. If you send it via Whispernet then Amazon strips the metadata that you added to allow syncing.
I added the converted book via Calibre to K2 and K3. I then opened the same file with K4PC. I rarely send anything through Amazon anymore (maybe the occasional newspaper recipe).

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-28-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 AM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
I think it means... don't go trying to sync non-Amazon content when your Amazon archive has that content in it already.

Seriously, though... I'd test it on books that you don't have Kindle versions of already. That way, it doesn't exist in your Amazon archive... and you won't potentially be mixing and matching different versions of the ebook file.
Ah Ha! Your brilliance knows no bounds. That makes a lot of sense. I'll try it out later. This could end up being a wiki page.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

It works!

Yeah! This time I used the book "Bone Song" which I am reading on my 650 and is not in my Kindle book library archive. This book went from Secure eReader to ePub to Sigil (for some clean up) to mobi (looks better in mobi than it does in ePub).

Anyway, I used the Mobi2Mobi GUI to make the metadata changes, transferred the book via USB to my K3 and opened it in K4PC. On K4PC, I searched for a passage from the page I'm reading on the 650. Found it and forced a sync, then closed the book. I turned on the WiFi on my K3, forced a sync then opened the book and synced to the furthest page read and it worked!

There will be a wiki page for this. Thanks again DD.

EDIT: I did make sure to change the file .mobi to .azw in Windows Explorer.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There will be a wiki page for this. Thanks again DD.
No problem at all.

Quote:
EDIT: I did make sure to change the file .mobi to .azw in Windows Explorer.
It works for me either way, but it's probably not a bad idea to do so.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Let me ask you this DD... I want to test this with my iPod Touch. Do you know how I can access the Touch to add my test book? I know people have been doing this for a while but haven't been paying attention.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Let me ask you this DD... I want to test this with my iPod Touch. Do you know how I can access the Touch to add my test book?
Sorry, you've stumbled upon my one (ok, maybe three or four) weakness(es). I know nothing about i(Pod|Phone|Pad) devices.

I seem to remember seeing some threads about sideloading books on these devices floating around here.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Sorry, you've stumbled upon my one (ok, maybe three or four) weakness(es). I know nothing about i(Pod|Phone|Pad) devices.
What! Say is ain't so, oh big brain with little legs!

That's okay, I'll go with it as is and if and when I find the info, I can add it later. Thanks again.

Tags
kindle 3, sideloading, sync "furthest page read", whispernet, whispersync