Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
wellwet
wellwet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
How to Cut PDF?

I have some Lonely Planets and they're printed 2 pages each page I want to cut them to make 1 page for each page. I tried A-PDF Page Cut it works good but when I put PDF's in Kindle after 3-4 pages Kindle reboots So it converts PDF's problematic...

Any ideas?
wellwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
you could try Briss or install Duokan. It is able to reflow PDF's on the fly.
I have no idea why your kindle would reboot though.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
you could try Briss or install Duokan. It is able to reflow PDF's on the fly.
I have no idea why your kindle would reboot though.
Oh, thank you for suggesting Briss! My summer time project will be scanning my dad's collection of 1950s sci-fi books and magazines. Almost all of them are in a two column format, and I would love to have an easy way to convert them for reading on my kindle.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Best is Acrobat pro if you can find it. It is the fastest workflow I could find as I was in the same boat. Basically it a multi-step process but very effective:
Make sure to make a copy of original

1. crop original pdf so that only left side pages are left
2. crop original pdf again so that only right side pages are left.
3. there is a javascript for acrobat floating around web which can combine left.pdf and right.pdf so that it now follows correct page numbers. search for collate acrobat javascript.

cheers.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
wellwet
wellwet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks friends, I'll try your recommendations

sachinwalia, I couldn't find the script, can you tell the exact name or link? Thanks
wellwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Maybe it's this:

http://www.planetpdf.com/developer/a...scrip&gid=6866

Otherwise google "javascript collate pdf" and you'll see lots of hits.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Oh, thank you for suggesting Briss! My summer time project will be scanning my dad's collection of 1950s sci-fi books and magazines. Almost all of them are in a two column format, and I would love to have an easy way to convert them for reading on my kindle.
They would need to be text based PDF to reflow, it's not clever enough to do it with images. You would need an OCR program for that.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #8
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
They would need to be text based PDF to reflow, it's not clever enough to do it with images. You would need an OCR program for that.
Is there a way to get Kindle/Amazon/3rd Party Software to reflow a PDF? I thought that Kindle didn't support PDF reflow (hence so many people saying that Sony is better for PDFs).

The sci-fi books/mags are not illustration heavy, but there are a few. I really don't care if they get cropped out or cropped in half, but will the very presence of an illustration mess up the way BRISS works? I know you're right about using an OCR program... I'm just a bit broke at the moment, but if that's the only/best way...
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickybuns View Post
Is there a way to get Kindle/Amazon/3rd Party Software to reflow a PDF? I thought that Kindle didn't support PDF reflow (hence so many people saying that Sony is better for PDFs).

The sci-fi books/mags are not illustration heavy, but there are a few. I really don't care if they get cropped out or cropped in half, but will the very presence of an illustration mess up the way BRISS works? I know you're right about using an OCR program... I'm just a bit broke at the moment, but if that's the only/best way...
I don't think Ploppy was referring to Briss. It merely crops out white space, etc. What he said is right though: you need to OCR is you want reflow (Duokan).
You could just scan them and Briss them and hope that the text is large enough to read on the K3.
On a DX, this would suffice. On a K3...maybe not so much.
I find the reflow with Duokan isn't all that great myself and never use it, but then again I do have a DX.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #10
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
a-pdf Page cut and you're done !! simple and easy
it has an unregistered version which only leaves a watermark

http://www.a-pdf.com/?product-pc
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
There's also pdf scissors - which works pretty well if the columns are uniform.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote