Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
nrobertson
nrobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Let's get this new window browser issue fixed

A lot of you probably know that trying to open a link in the K3 browser (and maybe the previous models, too, IDK) that opens in a new windows does not work. Instead it just tells you "this web browser does not support multiple windows".

It seems pretty easy to understand that multiple windows aren't very viable due to hardware limitations, but the browser should be tweaked to just open these links in the same window so that we can use them! Agree? Send an email to kindle-feedback@amazon.com so we can get Amazon the message here.

I think we may have some good success here seeing how Amazon seems to be listening to customers and has already made one firmware update and is testing another (I'm talking K3 here).

Thanks.
nrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
I don't think this can be a universal change. There are some sites where opening a new window within the existing window can lose important info. For example (and not a particularly good one), if you were posting something on a forum and you hit a link for more emoticons, on a regular browser, it would pop a new window. If Amazon changes it to like you propose, the emoticons panel will pop up, and you will lose your post data.

The better alternative is only one extra window, assuming it doesn't tax the system too much.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
nrobertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
I don't think this can be a universal change. There are some sites where opening a new window within the existing window can lose important info. For example (and not a particularly good one), if you were posting something on a forum and you hit a link for more emoticons, on a regular browser, it would pop a new window. If Amazon changes it to like you propose, the emoticons panel will pop up, and you will lose your post data.

The better alternative is only one extra window, assuming it doesn't tax the system too much.
You've got a good point here.

Yeah, two windows would be nice if it's viable (and I don't know if it is or not).

If not, I think a warning (with an option to turn it off, maybe) about the link intended to open in a new window opening in the same window would work okay.

As it is now, though, smiley boxes and anything that wants to open in a new window doesn't work, so something should probably change.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I don't see any hardware limitations for having multiple windows. Just add a option to switch between them and close specific ones from the menu. Each window would take up the entire screen.

The Webkit engine that powers the Kindle 3 browser is capable of handling multiple windows. They've just disabled it for some unknown reason. It might be that its just still buggy as they've already patched the browser twice.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
nrobertson

Yeah, I was more thinking RAM/CPU.

On a side note, it could be related to the subliminal-messaging-to-be-light-on-the-3G thing.
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #6
norti
norti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi eco-nique Edition :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I don't see any hardware limitations for having multiple windows.
Does the Kindle 3 have enough working memory for a fully working Webkit browser? I don't think so... but I hope I'm wrong
norti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I don't see any hardware limitations for having multiple windows. Just add a option to switch between them and close specific ones from the menu. Each window would take up the entire screen.
Yes - that's exactly the way that the browser on the iPhone and iPad work; a window always occupies the entire screen, but there's a menu item for switching between windows.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
nrobertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by norti View Post
Does the Kindle 3 have enough working memory for a fully working Webkit browser? I don't think so... but I hope I'm wrong
What do you mean by fully working? Tabs/windows?
Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by norti View Post
I do think so. The Kindle has 128MB RAM and so did the original iPod Touch which had a Safari/WebKit browser that was capable of opening multiple windows.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
nrobertson

Nice, then. Where did you find that spec for the Kindle?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi, as a new k3 owner, let me resurrect this old thread.
This issue is kind of killing me. One of the reasons I got another Kindle over any other reader, is that I can check my gmail over the 3G. On our K2, the gmail mobile view is very simple, and image attachments appear as links, which can be clicked to display a large view of the image. On the K3, I get a fancy 'improved' mobile view, on which the multiple window restriction prevents me from viewing images or following links.
Disappointing.

Another choice for an (easy) improvement would be if the error box said:
"Can't open multiple windows. Would you like to open this link in place of the current page? YES / NO"

Keep sending the feedback! There's still hope for 3.0.4!

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #12
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
If I need to get online for more than 1 or 2 pages, I use an actual computer. kindle is typically only used to look one or 2 things up real quick without having to get up, log into the PC and so on.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
If I need to get online for more than 1 or 2 pages, I use an actual computer. kindle is typically only used to look one or 2 things up real quick without having to get up, log into the PC and so on.
The browsing isn't an important feature for you. Others use it differently....like away from the house...where there is no computer or wifi.

Sure, it's not a PC replacement or general-use tablet, but even if it IS just for looking up one or two quick things, if those one or two things are emails with images or links, we'd be happier if it worked well as well as possible.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #14
rbrohman
rbrohman began at the beginning.

I agree ApK. One of the main criteria in my decision making process was the included browser. It's pretty decent considering, but the lack of multiple-window browsing is a killer. Google Reader on a kindle is fantastic (see http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...e-news-reader/), but only so for feeds that send complete article. Most of my feeds send only a snippet, requiring that you open the source link to read full contents. Alas, this is where the kindle fails. If I could get these links to open, I would be the happiest K3 owner around!
rbrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
rbrohman
rbrohman began at the beginning.

Response I received from Amazon regarding tabbed browsing:

"At this time, the feature of advanced browsing is not available. We're regularly working on improvements to your Kindle experience.

Customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us. I've let the Kindle team know you're interested in this feature. "

Pretty non-committal, but it can't hurt for anyone interested in this feature to continue sending inquiries to kindle-feedback@amazon.com
rbrohman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, kindle 3, links, web browser