Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
More help with Latin please

I'm currently preparing Married or Single? by Catharine Maria Sedgwick for the MobileRead library, in an annotated version which will explain some of the many quotes and allusions.

In the Preface Miss Sedgwick writes that she 'will make the hero and heroine man and wife' ... Omnia rité et solenné acta sunt.

The best I can get out of Google Translate is 'Are properly instructed in all the acts and in common usage', which makes no sense at all to me. Can anyone give me a better translation, or point me to some source which will give a better translation?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
That doesnt look like Latin to me. Or rather "Omnia" and "sunt" are Latin, but the rest looks French. Probably why its not making sense. That said, I am unable to translate since Latin is now 52 years back in memory, and French is 49. I've forgotten more than I learned.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I'm currently preparing Married or Single? by Catharine Maria Sedgwick for the MobileRead library, in an annotated version which will explain some of the many quotes and allusions.

In the Preface Miss Sedgwick writes that she 'will make the hero and heroine man and wife' ... Omnia rité et solenné acta sunt.

The best I can get out of Google Translate is 'Are properly instructed in all the acts and in common usage', which makes no sense at all to me. Can anyone give me a better translation, or point me to some source which will give a better translation?
The context is important, so I came up with: "... and they both know where the naughty bits are and what they do."*

* I do not know Latin.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
The intention would appear to be

"All rites and solemnities will be duly accomplished" but why the mixture I have no idea.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks very much to you all. Miss Sedgwick seems to me to have had a wicked sense of humour, so I wouldn't put it past her to have mixed up the two languages with a grin on her face.

Of course that does make it difficult for earnest ebook designers and annotators.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
It would appear to be a partial misrendering (although likely on purpose as you say) of a more common: omnia praesumuntur rite et solemniter esse acta
"all things are presumed to have been done correctly and solemnly"
(from: http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/...9551248-e-2695 )

or several similar phrases. The slightly shorter but similar "Omnia praesumuntur rite esse acta" shows up even more often, often in legal dictionaries, and lead eventually to here, which is interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_regularity

Perhaps the interesting question is indeed, why the sly partial translation to French of what appears to be a stock phrase.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Deleted

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 12-26-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Duplicated
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote