Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Battery % doesn't update when reading ?

Hi,

Had Kobo Glo for just over a week, noticed that when I was reading the battery % does not drop, was hoping this to be a real good battery life. But last night I accidentally hit the home button, and then went straight back into my book, then battery % went from 38% down to 34% !!. Is this normal that it does not update when just reading? I am a slow reader and it can take months for me to get through a book, if all I did was read would the % stay on a 100% and then suddenly go off on me ?

By the way I have not yet charged the device, its still using the charge out of the box.

Cheers

Ste
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Hi,

Had Kobo Glo for just over a week, noticed that when I was reading the battery % does not drop, was hoping this to be a real good battery life. But last night I accidentally hit the home button, and then went straight back into my book, then battery % went from 38% down to 34% !!. Is this normal that it does not update when just reading? I am a slow reader and it can take months for me to get through a book, if all I did was read would the % stay on a 100% and then suddenly go off on me ?

By the way I have not yet charged the device, its still using the charge out of the box.
I have noticed that too, the indicator will stay the same for a few hours and then drop by a few percentage points at once. But I've never had a drop of more than 4-5% except when doing a wifi sync when it can drop by 6-8%, so I don't worry that it will suddenly drop from well-charged to zero.

However since you haven't charged the battery yet it is probably a good idea to run it right down and then do a full charge. Others have suggested that the battery meter needs this in order to calibrate itself.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Others have suggested that the battery meter needs this in order to calibrate itself.
Indeed, the battery needs a few cycles (from completely empty to completely full) for the battery meter to calibrate to it properly. Also, the battery life will get slightly better after about 4 cycles. So don't worry too much about battery life and especially not about the meter until you've had at least 4 cycles.

Also, my battery was 'stuck' on 81% for a day and a half or so, even during reading, until yesterday it dropped to 80% while I was reading. So it does update while you're in a book; your meter just probably needs calibrating.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Is it necessary to run the battery down to nothing from a full charge for the battery readout to calibrate?
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewacide View Post
Is it necessary to run the battery down to nothing from a full charge for the battery readout to calibrate?
Yes, maybe a few times or more.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert