Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2007, 07:20 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Top 10 books

This being "World Book Day", the BBC commissioned a survey of the UK's favourite books. The "top 10" were:

1. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.
2. "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien.
3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte.
4. Harry Potter books, by J.K. Rowling.
5. "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee.
6. The Bible.
7. "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Bronte.
8. "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell.
9. "His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman.
10. "Great Expectation" by Charles Dickens.

I've read 9 out of these 10 - the only one I'm missing is "To Kill a Mockingbird". Just wondered how many of these other forum members have read?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
This being "World Book Day", the BBC commissioned a survey of the UK's favourite books. The "top 10" were:

6. The Bible.

I've read 9 out of these 10 - the only one I'm missing is "To Kill a Mockingbird". Just wondered how many of these other forum members have read?
Okay, I have read the Lord of the Rings and The Bible.......

and have seen the Harry Potter movies, To Kill a mockingbird, Nineteen Eighty four and Wuthering Heights, does that count? <G> I tend to not read a book if I have seen the movie. Oh and Jane Eyre too, my mother loved that and watched it all the time so I have seen that one as well.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:

6. The Bible.

I'm missing #4 by 2 books. Read the rest.

Harry, Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird" (although very American) is one of the most powerful and best books I have ever read.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Have them all in eformat. Bible's in French though.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilbeginnings
and have seen the Harry Potter movies, To Kill a mockingbird, Nineteen Eighty four and Wuthering Heights, does that count?
Definitely not!

There's so much more in the books than even the best movie. Movies work OK for short stories, but I just don't think that any movie can do justice to a book.
Advert
Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Harry, Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird" (although very American) is one of the most powerful and best books I have ever read.
Definitely on my "must read" list, in that case. Many thanks! I'm pretty sure I have it as an e-book.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Interesting how tastes change ... in 2003 the list seems to have been:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Definitely not!

There's so much more in the books than even the best movie. Movies work OK for short stories, but I just don't think that any movie can do justice to a book.
Oh I agree but I just never read a book after seeing a movie. Now I will do the reverse, read a book and then see the movie, and yes that is where you do see they don't compare. It's hard enough to tear myself away from the computer (reading whatever) to go and read a book let alone read one that I already saw at the show or wherever.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
taralon
Enthusiast
taralon has learned how to buy an e-book online

All of them. I've got to say though I only put Lord of the Rings, 1984 and the Bible in my 'to be read again' pile. The literature works were a good commentary on social conditions, but not something I enjoy reading time and time again. Pullman's stuff was just... ugh.

Quote:

6. The Bible.

taralon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taralon
Pullman's stuff was just... ugh.
It's interesting how tastes differ - I found Pullman to be extremely thought-provoking, and have read it a number of times.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:

6. The Bible.
I am missing seven, eight and nine... okay, I also lost interest in Rowling after the second book. I did try to read Orwell, but could not get through it, though I may have been too young at the time.

Also, have to toss in my agreement with Wood on "To Kill a Mockingbird." One of my all-time books, though perhaps it is because I am American.

Also have to agree that they are not really the 'read again and again' types for me, except Tolkien. Although, from the 2003 list, I would add Milne and and Adams! The first few Hitchhiker's books were just beyond the imagination, and yet logical in a rather silly way.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
The Potter series has a place there, not only because a youg readership has an influence on market but because it is beautifully written. I am not a fan of JK as a person, I do support her work and she has a knack with crafting well stringed stories without errors in their thread. You must read them, they differ greatly from the movies. All along the read you will not be able to erase the mental images of the actors though.

It is funny how people of my generation refuse to read this story, dismissing it as kid stuff. Their loss...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
The Potter series has a place there, not only because a youg readership has an influence on market but because it is beautifully written.
I agree with you. Remember, too, that the question asked was what people's favourite book was, not what they considered to be the greatest work of literature .
Old 03-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
ThomWill
Enthusiast
ThomWill is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-500 (Sony Reader)
I am not missing as many as I thought I might be. Funny, I am re-reading Pride and Prejudice even now.

Once again, I will have to pre-order two copies of the new Harry Potter book so my daughters do not kill each other over who gets to read it first. But then since I am the one who picks them up, it might just be me.
ThomWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
I do support her work and she has a knack with crafting well stringed stories without errors in their thread. You must read them, they differ greatly from the movies. All along the read you will not be able to erase the mental images of the actors though.
Funny you should say that, as I lost interest because of what I felt were errors in the thread - nice phrase, that. Still, excellent point on the movies.

It is often the case that most story-to-movie transitions leave a lot of the story behind, except for the occasional short story, such as Enemy Mine, or The Quiet Man, where the screenwriter adds so much you barely recognize the plot. In the case of the Potter books, however, so much is left out that I find the movies confusing.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote