Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M90?
I would encourage a friend to buy the device 3 10.34%
I don't know / I'm confused / I'd wait 9 31.03%
I would discourage a friend from buying the device 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Onyx Boox M90 - To buy or not to buy?

I've been following different threads on ereaders for a long time and had three different devices in my hands, and in the end I decided that Onyx Boox M90 was the one that would fulfill all my needs. So I was close to ordering the reader but then I had a quick last glance at what people say and eventually withdrew from that decision. There are lots of comments about the device constantly freezing or even dying, features not working despite firmware updates etc. so I thought that forking out almost €400 on it would be a high risk move.

So here is a question to the owners of Onyx Boox M90. Based on your experience with the device would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M90?

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 10-05-2011 at 09:05 AM.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Discourage. Even if you just use it for reading, it can be very frustrating. Battery life is not great. Stylus is not particularly responsive. IR button is unreliable.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
... and apparently they just announced the successor to come out some time later this year.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
I'd wait for the M92. Or buy PocketBook, if lack of Pearl isn't an issue.
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
I agree with @kamizase. In addition if you are patient would be better to wait for pearl-pocketbook.
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrhc View Post
I agree with @kamizase. In addition if you are patient would be better to wait for pearl-pocketbook.
I concur. Stay away from Chinese products, at least for now.

Why the xxx Sony isn't releasing a 9.7" pearl screen?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Is there any evidence that there will ever be a pearl pocketbook?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

@j.p.s
I think pocketbook has 2 options: pearl or better OR to disappear.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
@j.p.s
I think pocketbook has 2 options: pearl or better OR to disappear.
Yes, but my question still stands.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
Stay away from Chinese products, at least for now.
That would not leave us a lot of choice for any type of device.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
confused. especially by the lack of cooperation from resellers. I do not understand how could you ignore questions asked here when you are the only reseller for an entire geographical area.
If you have a good product it is in your interest to make that clear to the potential buyers. Do your best to answer the questions and make sure that the bias caused by opinions of less IT educated people does not impact your sales.
For such devices it is well known that most of the times hacking them makes them better and more than that, the users's community finds solutions and workarounds faster than the manufacturer or developer of the original software. That is the part that irritates me the most!
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Pocketbook has a better hardware... but even with respect to the latest pocketbook's firmware, onyx's annotationand zoom functions are far better.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
adrhc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is there any evidence that there will ever be a pearl pocketbook?

I started a thread on this subject:
PocketBook 9.7" (902, 903, 912) with pearl
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
adrhc
Connoisseur

Oh, by the way, I voted with I would discourage a friend from buying the device mainly because of Onyx M92 announced apparition.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
Pocketbook has a better hardware... but
Pocketbook 90x firmware/software sucks
New firmware is still beta...
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onyx boox m90 buy